Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Tinybox alternative?

(1/4) > >>

rigpimp:
I don't normally  >:D much but find that I have been doing it more and more since moving home and starting to record rap shows.  These mostly have disgustingly high SPL's and the Tinybox distorts even set on low.  It does this enough that I want to replace it. 

I'm open to opinions on options.  I am initially thinking IPA or Baby Nbox.  I am unsure what else is really available.  I need it to be small, clean, and not need battery changes mid-show.

achalsey:
Off topic but; how do the recordings usually come out (besides current distortion issues)?  Are they generally mixed well?

rigpimp:
Usually they are very bass heavy but nothing that cannot be adjusted in post.  I was actually pretty surprised how well my pull from last night turned out.  I'm realizing that after years if recording I don't have a lot of talent on an EQ.

MBHOTAPER:
Jon is back to work on his ipa units. I should be receiving mine for xmas soon. I was looking at both options myself and from the feedback I got I went with the ipa. Small, discreet (fits in palm) and has gain unlike the bnbox - so going line in intead of mic in. If using a small deck (pcm10, ro5, etc) you don't need to depend on their small pres. Jon cutomizes units for your specific mics and also cables to run to your specific deck. His stereo design also works for 2 mics with only 1 ipa now.

rigpimp:

--- Quote from: MBHOTAPER on December 10, 2017, 06:41:34 PM ---Jon is back to work on his ipa units. I should be receiving mine for xmas soon. I was looking at both options myself and from the feedback I got I went with the ipa. Small, discreet (fits in palm) and has gain unlike the bnbox - so going line in intead of mic in. If using a small deck (pcm10, ro5, etc) you don't need to depend on their small pres. Jon cutomizes units for your specific mics and also cables to run to your specific deck. His stereo design also works for 2 mics with only 1 ipa now.

--- End quote ---

Any idea on price on the IPA?  He did the custom tiny box I have so I'd just send my tinybox and cables and ask him to match it up.  It's just a 5-pin locking binder.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version