Gear / Technical Help > Playback Forum

Affordable bookshelf speakers?

(1/5) > >>

achalsey:
I know this is kind of a stupid question, but I'm in the market for some relatively inexpensive speakers (< $500).

I did a little research a while ago (basically just googling the thread topic) and looking back the only thing bookmarked are the ELAC Debut B6 speakers.  Not sure exactly why that is.

I do have the Monoprice Hybrid Tube Amp if the speakers need power.  This was an impulse buy and probably kind of stupid, but I still have it, so whatever.  The headphone out is noisy as all hell and has a big issue with the volume knob when turned.  Haven't tried it with speakers; I hope it's just a headphone jack issue.

I'm not really an audiophile, but I do have a pair of Beyer DT 770s that I really like the sonic signature of if that helps at all.

jbell:
https://audioengineusa.com/shop/passivespeakers/p4-passive-speakers/

Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan:
At that price point, I don't think you can go wrong with the ELAC Debut B6. The Audio-Engine speakers suggested were self-powered, I believe they do have them available in passive as well, but they appear to be more of a studio monitor.  Not that there's anything wrong with an accurate studio monitor, but for enjoyment listening personally I prefer something with a little more liveliness. You could probably add inexpensive stands and fill them with something to weigh them down for pretty cheap.

Is the noise from the headphone out only when you adjust the volume?  If so see if you can remove the volume knob, hit it with some contact cleaner (work that thing) might just be an inexpensive volume control that needs a little shot now and then. I'm you hear that noise floor hiss, then yuck.

Another that looked interesting:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AQFE42/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_2_w

Wharfedale - Diamond 10.2

lsd2525:

--- Quote from: achalsey on January 17, 2018, 08:37:18 PM ---I know this is kind of a stupid question, but I'm in the market for some relatively inexpensive speakers (< $500).

I did a little research a while ago (basically just googling the thread topic) and looking back the only thing bookmarked are the ELAC Debut B6 speakers.  Not sure exactly why that is.

I do have the Monoprice Hybrid Tube Amp if the speakers need power.  This was an impulse buy and probably kind of stupid, but I still have it, so whatever.  The headphone out is noisy as all hell and has a big issue with the volume knob when turned.  Haven't tried it with speakers; I hope it's just a headphone jack issue.

I'm not really an audiophile, but I do have a pair of Beyer DT 770s that I really like the sonic signature of if that helps at all.

--- End quote ---

Get a can of this, pull the volume knob off and spray it in the pot. May just fix your problem.

kindms:
if you are handy parts express sells speaker kits for bookshelf etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version