Gear / Technical Help > Post-Processing, Computer / Streaming / Internet Devices & Related Activity

Tape to MP3 Conversion

(1/1)

tomy01:
I have many 90 min cassette concert tapes that I would like to convert to MP3 format any suggestions?  A friend has suggested a "Grace TAPE2USB II" system.  Is this the way to go or are there other systems currently on the market?

Thanks

Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B):
If you already have a tape player you can just run line in to a laptop or desktop.

I would consider transferring the tapes to WAV format (and then compress to FLAC) for the best results. It won't take any longer and you'll have a better copy in the end.

What sort of concerts are these? If you're talking never released shows by a band that is popular you might want to increase the budget or maybe see if someone here can transfer them for you.

twatts (pants are so over-rated...):
I have converted a lot of "tapes" over the years...  IMO, it is better to convert your cassettes (or any media) by playing back to a Recorder of some type rather than a computer.  First, the recorder is made to do exactly what you want.  Second, doing it to a PC can introduce all kinds of variables and can also tie up your PC so you can't surf the webz...

If you have a Recorder that does WAV, just run the line-out of your tape deck into the line-in on your Recorder, and make a 16/44 WAV file.  Once you Transfer the tape, copy from the Recorder to your PC and do what you want.  If you want MP3s, then just convert.  Burn to CDRs if you want.  Whatever...

If you don't have a recorder, I would think about whether or not it is worth investing in one for the purpose of Transferring these tapes.  You have to weigh the expense vs. the potential of finding these tapes already transferred and shared on the internet...

Terry

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version