Gear / Technical Help > Post-Processing, Computer / Streaming / Internet Devices & Related Activity

Loud applause / quiet music (no clapping during music) - ? about amp/workflow

(1/3) > >>

detroit lightning:
Ok, it's time to seek outside council on this...I've read through the forum, googled, tried everything I know, but need some help...

I often tape at local folk club that is a fantastic sounding room, and regardless if I'm  >:D, running a zoom/mv88, or mics on a stand - the music is generally very quiet, and the applause is very very loud. During the music, you can hear a pin drop. That said, I know I'm not the first to encounter this...

So generally, I try to do the following:
1. Get my levels as high as they can w/o clipping during the applause (which is often 10db+ louder than the music)
2. Lower the applause peaks in audacity w/ soft limiting or compression
3. amplify the entire file

Last night, I recorded with my Berliner CM33 mics in the back (~30' from stage) and had all the same issues, but I played it safe since I'd never run that setup in that room before. So my levels (on the music) are painfully low...peaking at like -25db.

I fucked around with soft limiting the peaks and amplifying, and liked the sound of the music a bit better - but the applause was still much louder. Overall, the music was still a bit quiet when playing through my stereo/ipod.

I also tried amplifying the whole file, then compressing the peaks (10:1, threshold just above the music), then amplifying the whole file again. It's better balanced, but its a bit hissy/noisy from all the gain, and there is some wooshing during the applause that's a bit offputting - on headphones only, really.

I'm close to being happy with both, and frankly just need to do a better job with levels up front (and I find the R26 to be a bit noisy).

BUT - I welcome any tips or recommendations on how to get the most out of the music in post. 

Side question, how many db is too much to add via amplify? I know thats unanswerable, but in general...5? 10? 20?

Gordon:
good tips a few threads down

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=186032.0

I use wavelab but should be similar in audacity.  I do not raise the gain first.  I use the envelope tool to lower applause between tracks.  then raise overall gain.

detroit lightning:
Thanks...of course I'd miss the post asking the same damn question from 3 days ago :banging head:

I guess I need to get better w/ the envelope feature...

Gordon:
I used to use soft limiting or compression for this but find the envelope (in wavelab anyway) to be much easier and natural sounding.

detroit lightning:
It always struck me as too time consuming, but now that I'm playing with it more...I think I'm on board.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version