Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

So crazy it just might work...

(1/5) > >>

checht:
Some very chatty shows lately. Got me thinking, why not bring a wireless lav mic or 2 to open shows, mic up some of the more vocal fans and record.

In post, use that track to differentially remove their 'narration' and clapping from the recording.

Would the lav recording have too much music/desired sound on it?

morst:
It might work a little, but the social aspect of actually pinning a mic on the most obnoxious crowd members is really odd. You might have better effects with fake mics, if they make the folks self-conscious!? "Hi there, you have a history of being one of the most talky crowd members, so I'd like to capture everything you say so I can subtract it later!"

Heh heh, we'll see how that works.

From a tech perspective, you're likely to have some crazy time smear as these folks walk around the venue. It would be very difficult to remove the music from their tracks enough that you could add their tracks back inverted.

Fascinating notion. With enough computer power and spot mics, it might be possible!?

Limit35:

--- Quote from: morst on June 07, 2018, 05:31:27 PM ---It might work a little, but the social aspect of actually pinning a mic on the most obnoxious crowd members is really odd. You might have better effects with fake mics, if they make the folks self-conscious!? "Hi there, you have a history of being one of the most talky crowd members, so I'd like to capture everything you say so I can subtract it later!"
--- End quote ---

I actually thought of fake mics a couple weeks ago. I had really aggressive talkers under my stand which I setup for the first time in the back of this small room I frequent. These people had the balls to get in heated debates under my mics with 80% of the floor clear of people, the crowd was only under my mics. I have never seen that before. This was multiple groups of people not 1 or 2 couples. I joked about buying some complete crap mics as a decoy with a beater stand I have off by itself as conversation chum. Afterwards, I realized it may just work.

Jhurlbs81:
I let most everything slide, but if people are talking non-stop I ask them to go to the bar to talk and I do that whether I am recording or not.

fanofjam:
I'm gonna make a sign and put it on my stand. 

'FREE DUCT TAPE'

...the fine print stipulation is that it's used on someone else's mouth.  I mean, duct tape has a million uses, right?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version