Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie Mic Question  (Read 10093 times)

Offline Swampy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • You Worthless Swampy Fool
Newbie Mic Question
« on: April 06, 2003, 06:21:27 PM »
Ok, so I'm into home recording, I record bands and such, and I'd like to start recording live shows.  My question is about microphones.  For my studio I already have a pair of MXL 603s (http://www.mxlmics.com/condencer_mic/condenser_index.html) and I'm buying a pair of MXL V67s (http://www.mxlmics.com/condencer_mic/condenser_index.html).  What do you guys think about these for recording live shows? Which do you think would be better? Thoughts, experences, guesses? THANKS!

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re:Newbie Mic Question
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2003, 06:43:51 PM »
depends on what you're lookin for.......i like to change caps and what not....looks like a pretty nice mic if ya want a fixed cap....... ;)

bean
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2003, 06:49:22 PM »
looks like it draws a fair amount of juice.  but, if you got the batts...

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline Swampy

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2003, 07:08:46 PM »
Thanks for the replys. Anyone got an opinion on which one would be better? People say that the pattern 603 is wider than the v67.  Should I go with the v67? THANKS again!

BTW: Im probably going to do more club stuff, but probably the occational larger venue.

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2003, 07:14:53 PM »
hey Alex,

welcome to the Board!

although i haven't heard of anyone running these mics for concert recording, i'm sure someone is or has.  

judging by the available info, these mics look to be just fine for this purpose.  specs look decent.  looks as if the LD v67g has a fairly flat response curve.  the SD 603s a definate rise from 5k-> 20k peaking at 10k.  that being said, i'm suspecting there will be a noticable difference in sound between the 2 mics you have listed.  

the Wide Card pattern is one that is not among the most popular among concert Tapers.  not sure if that has to do with the pattern itself, or the fact that some of the popular microphone manufacturers don't offer this pattern.  i know DPA offers Wide Card.  i'm sure some folks on this list can offer opinions having run that pattern in different situations.

if you have both sets at your disposal, i'd say definately give them both a shot and see if you like their performance.  get yourself some recordings of other microphone brands/ setups and see what type sound it is exactly that you like.  then see how these compare.  there are plenty of people on this Board with many different mics/ recording setups.  i'm sure you'll have no trouble finding folks to help with opinions/ other recordings.

good luck, and let us know how these work out for you in the field.  

peace

~Scott  

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2003, 08:12:16 PM »
wide cards.....I am starting to look into these, can they be pretty much be used the same way as cards? I bet they sound better up close.....
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Tim

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2003, 09:23:24 PM »
wide-cards or sub-cards.. schoeps mk21's, neumann ak43's, DPA 4015's.

they are not nearly as versatile as a typical card. They are best used outdoors with no roof (say from the lawn at an ampitheatre). They also sound good upfront if the room/ampitheatre is sufficiently wide.

in my limited experience with them I have found that the mics need to be run NOS or perhaps even wider. ORTF is too narrow for the polar patterns of these caps.

before I got a pair of subcards I would make sure that I already owned cards and hypers.

Offline Swampy

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2003, 09:43:25 PM »
A lot of websites say that the v67s are a cardiod so, Im going to try them first I think. THANKS for all the replys.

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2003, 10:07:56 PM »
Yup, I already own the mk41 and mk4's, would love to pick up a pair of mk2 and mk21's, but that is a lot of dough for me right now.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2003, 10:30:26 PM »
wide-cards or sub-cards.. schoeps mk21's, neumann ak43's, DPA 4015's.

they are not nearly as versatile as a typical card. They are best used outdoors with no roof (say from the lawn at an ampitheatre). They also sound good upfront if the room/ampitheatre is sufficiently wide.

in my limited experience with them I have found that the mics need to be run NOS or perhaps even wider. ORTF is too narrow for the polar patterns of these caps.

before I got a pair of subcards I would make sure that I already owned cards and hypers.

thanks for the clarification, Tim.  i was sure Schoeps made these, but didn't have the model # off the top of my head.  

on the other hand, i always thought the ak43 caps were Omnis.  hmmm, interesting.  i've looked at the Neumann pages a hundred times or so over the years?  never bothered to look them up before.  i just knew they were Omnis!  +T to you.  ;)

~S
« Last Edit: April 06, 2003, 10:42:23 PM by hippies »

Tim

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2003, 01:18:57 AM »
the 43s are almost fractured Omni's more so than subcards.. compare the schoeps mk21 and the ak43 polar patterns, pretty interesting. the neumann omni's are the ak30's... and one other ak3x, can't remember off the top of my head.

Offline schoeps t00bes

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2003, 04:29:59 AM »
i definitely agree with tim here!!!   ;D
i have used the mk21's a few times and have a bunch of tapes made with them.  the said phish taper who uses them consistently runs them ortf.  i find that that config is just too narrow for these mics.  so, exactly as tim said, if you use them make sure to either be way up close or at a nice open outdoor shed and run them at least NOS.  
have fun,
dave
Fuck MSG!!!

Tim

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2003, 02:35:46 PM »
Dave's "have fun" statement hit the nail on the head! Subcards are a lot of fun to play with.. as are omni's... if you've got cards and hypers already go for it. when used in teh right situation they sound great!

Offline Swampy

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2003, 10:16:27 PM »
I got another question, What is the difference of Large Diaphram and Small as it relates to taping shows? THANKS!

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2003, 10:42:32 PM »
That is a good question. I don't know a ton about LD mics, but I do know they tend to have a smoother and deeper bass response, IMO tend to sound a little warmer.

Condensor mics tend to be brighter and have better clarity, and also do better when it comes to PA recording, not that you can't pull a great tape with LD on a PA, but the condensors are more designed for them.
In Tyler we Trust

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.245 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com