Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony/ M1 Repair Advice?  (Read 4593 times)

Offline hippies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
Sony/ M1 Repair Advice?
« on: April 24, 2003, 12:15:08 AM »
hey All,

i have a 2 year old M1 that has a couple issues, and needs to go in to be fixed.  i've let this slide for quite some time now, but no more.  ;)

i of course know about Pro-Digital.  not impressed.

i seem to remember someone posting about Sony doing great service, being that this is a 'Pro' deck.  lil more expensive, but great service/ fast turnaround is what i remember.  

anyone know/ remember what i'm talking about/ have a referral?

thanks in advance!

BTW:  we get this fixed, and Armen can run my extra DAT for the Summer!  hehe...  ;)

peace

~S
« Last Edit: April 24, 2003, 12:18:02 AM by hippies »

jpschust

Re:Sony/ M1 Repair Advice?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2003, 12:53:49 AM »
you know what though- for repairs especially of decks- pro digital is fuckin fantastic.  not to mention, out of every dealer ive ever worked with, out of every seller, they rank among the top for just simple plain honesty.  paul doesnt bs, he doesnt give you the run around, he just tells it like it is.  

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2003, 02:06:25 AM »
BTW:  we get this fixed, and Armen can run my extra DAT for the Summer!  hehe...  ;)

Or maybe I'll just buy it off ya and get it over with!!!  :D

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2003, 01:44:28 PM »
hehe...  well, i like to have a spare on hand, just in case.  

gonna see about gettin' the M1 fixed in the next coupla days here.  you're free to use my extra once she comes back, though.  save your pennies for a HD recorder, brah.  ;)

~S

Offline Rob D.

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2003, 02:28:17 PM »
I bought an M1 a while back that had a problem with it dropping out if the deck was moved in slightest. I (regretfully) didn't purchase the extended warrenty so I shipped off to Pro Dig expecting to pay. Paul had his techs take it apart and found that a part needed to be replaced. This part, I think a mem module or something like that was estimated to cost about $300.00 *plus* labor. Paul advised I ship it to Sony as the deck was covered by them for parts but I would be cahrged for labor which is (I think) $220.00 and hour! I called Sony and they advised me to ship to their service center which I think (I know, I have bad mem) was in Boston. I reluctantly did this. The Sony tech called me and asked if the unit had ever been opened. Of course, I defiantly said "NO"  :P
Anyway, after week they returned it repaired and charged me for the 1 hour labor. They claimed the extent of the repair was just "re-alighned heads". The invoice showed no parts were replaced. This was last year and I haven't any problems with it since. So take it with a grain of salt but my one and only Sony repair experience was postive.

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2003, 02:31:13 PM »
Scott, what can I say, you're the best!!!

busknuckle

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2003, 04:42:10 PM »
ok. so I bought my M1 in about April of 02...in October (right before seeing Paul McCartney >:() the deck froze up one night. I put a tape in to see what it was (in the days before labeling RIGHT AFTER the show :P). I played a few seconds...stopped the deck...and tried to eject it. nothing happened. it kept reading UNLOAD on the display but you couldn't even hear anything going on in the deck. I (warily) tried to open the little fker up and see if the tape was just jammed. What did I get for it...I snapped the tape and got it out. (thanks for fixing Bri :)

Even with the tape out..it wouldn't work. So I call the Repairmaster number to see about a fix. They tell me it's still under manu. warr.

Well I won't get into the intial run around but here's a breakdown:

1. warrantech says m.w.
2. m.w. says 90 days labor...1 year parts
3. I have to teach warrantech the sony's m.w. is not blanket 1 year for both p&l
4. I call terrapin (where I bought it) and they suggest Pro-dig..
5. I call pro-dig and they tell me they'd rather not work on it...don't care for the small size and whatnot...
6. I get warrantech squared away (they actually said they'd have to re-write their policy.. >:(
7. I send my deck to some Sony service center in MA
*pray you never have to call Sony for anything...fckn maze of phone games to get the toll number to the service center
8. center fixes my deck and sends it back
9. warrantech chokes on my repair because the invoice says "replaced parts, lubed, function check.."
they claim they need an itemized list of parts which will individually have their own warranty
10. I call Sony again and try and get an itemized list...the guy pulls up my invoice ($216.00 labor rate...supposedly flat) and tells me, "I don't know why the tech listed parts....no parts were replaced"
11. I call warrantech and relay the message...
12. I get my check for $216.00 about 1 month after having the deck back...(actually I had to pay $19.00 in sales tax because I'm from Washington... ???)

I figured it would be hassle free with the extended warranty...it would have been awful if I hadn't had the $ to pay for the repairs up front.

here's the number to the service center in Westwood MA
1-781-329-2659

address:

Sony Service Co.
390 University Ave.
Westwood MA 02090

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2003, 04:52:50 PM »
cool, exactly what i was looking for Busknuckle!  +T! and thank you VERY much!  saving me the phone tag is worth a +T every day next week.  hehe...

:-*  
peace

~S

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com