Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help needed with taping strategy!  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Help needed with taping strategy!
« Reply #30 on: Yesterday at 02:57:51 PM »
Pull 'em back to the laces - they are vulnerable out there.
Angle them apart much more widely - if wearing both on the same shoe.
Moving one over to the other foot - I suspect will work better.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: Yesterday at 03:07:26 PM »
Bear in mind that you'll need to keep your foot steady the whole time. It is really hard not to move your head too much, but it is even harder not to move your feet. A different approach could be to attach it to the balcony railing at about knee height. This can be done with some velcro bands (like the ones that are sold as cable ties). The white mics and cable aren't ideal, but I guess nobody will notice it, especially in the dark. I've done that in the past and walked away with really nice results.

And btw: Good luck getting a good tape at the Palladium. I'm not from Cologne, but I make a point of avoiding shows there. It's just one of the worst sounding venues out there. And when it's full it gets really uncomfortable. The E-Werk on the other side of the street is a whole different story. Love that place! ;)
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:10:08 PM by Sebastian »

Offline Keaneboots

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #32 on: Yesterday at 05:11:40 PM »
Bear in mind that you'll need to keep your foot steady the whole time. It is really hard not to move your head too much, but it is even harder not to move your feet. A different approach could be to attach it to the balcony railing at about knee height. This can be done with some velcro bands (like the ones that are sold as cable ties). The white mics and cable aren't ideal, but I guess nobody will notice it, especially in the dark. I've done that in the past and walked away with really nice results.

And btw: Good luck getting a good tape at the Palladium. I'm not from Cologne, but I make a point of avoiding shows there. It's just one of the worst sounding venues out there. And when it's full it gets really uncomfortable. The E-Werk on the other side of the street is a whole different story. Love that place! ;)

Thanks!

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #33 on: Yesterday at 05:33:59 PM »
I have made a few very good recordings using the mic-on-each-shoe technique, but was using omnis, and seated.

Each situation is different, and in many it will be better to attach to the railing as Sebastian mentions, lay them on a table or drink rail, or do something else entirely.

Keep all these ideas in mind, adapt them and think creatively.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #34 on: Yesterday at 05:39:07 PM »
If bags are allowed (even small ones), you might also be able to clip your mics to one and lay it at your feet, where it'll stay put more easily than your toes.

Offline AbbyTaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #35 on: Yesterday at 10:05:31 PM »
I have made a few very good recordings using the mic-on-each-shoe technique, but was using omnis, and seated.

Interesting idea.  If you're not in the first row is the sound blocked?  I'd be concerned someone edging past me to get to the washroom or whatever would step on my foot.  :)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #36 on: Today at 03:56:41 AM »
Hi again,

As I am going to position myself on the balcony next to the PA speaker, I thought of mounting my AT853s to my shoes.
What do you think? Is this the worst setup ever, or could it perhaps do something good? I assume this will minimize any loud cheers and banter next to me.
can you get white shoes to match the mics?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #37 on: Today at 09:35:59 AM »
Nulldogma's suggestion is good. If you can do it, in a bag on the floor will be easier to manage than on-shoe.

Interesting idea.  If you're not in the first row is the sound blocked?  I'd be concerned someone edging past me to get to the washroom or whatever would step on my foot.  :)

Did it that way for a few jazz gigs with no raised stage, seated on same floor as performers, from front row center seat or the front table.  Specifically chose to run that way seated at the table rather than typically body-worn or placed on the table itself because I wanted to use the table and the extra distance down to the floor to attenuate audience chatter - specifically whatever chatter might occur at my own table.  Attended with friends that are not generally talkative during the music, but are not tapers or church-mouse quiet. I did not want to over-shush them and wanted to be able to talk with them before/after and between pieces.  Also made it easy to just walk in with them an roll without having to set anything up.

Had previously gaff taped the same miniature omnis to the underside of the table, spaced a few feet apart peaking out from under the front edge.  That worked well too, but required some stealthy setting up, and did not attenuate nearby audience chatter as much.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com