Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 192 DAC recommendations?  (Read 8741 times)

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 192 DAC recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2005, 08:17:15 PM »

So no one can tell me why I might want DSD ?   ???

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2005, 10:21:01 PM »
???

the mytek box does pcm.  it just also does dsd.   you don't need dsd for it

BobW

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2005, 07:52:53 AM »
Still wanting to know what good DSD is, and how I can manipulate the files.
Sorry for  being redundant, but I can't think of any editor that does DSD, nor any DSP that processes it.
So if I process in PCM, how does DSD make anything better ?

I thought that hi-res recording was ahead of ourselves (up to very recently).
I'm pretty sure that DSD is ahead of the world of practice as well.

I won't feel bad dropping my $$ on a PCM DAC of good quality.
In fact when the M902 craze starts, I'm grabbing a bargain DAC-1    ;D

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2005, 07:57:54 AM »
are you still referring to the mytek?   it can take in a pcm input and do "normal" d/a conversion.  or it can take a dsd stream and do d/a conversion on that.  they are separate processes.  I guess i'm just not understanding your question

BobW

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2005, 02:38:57 PM »
are you still referring to the mytek?   it can take in a pcm input and do "normal" d/a conversion.  or it can take a dsd stream and do d/a conversion on that.  they are separate processes.  I guess i'm just not understanding your question

Where would I get a DSD stream ?
How would I manipulate a DSD file ?
How can I share DSD with others ?

Since SACD is inaccessible to all but the "professionals", I'm still unsure why I'd want the Mytek.
Do SACD players output DSD streams through their digi-outs ?

Offline scb

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2005, 06:36:55 PM »
>>Where would I get a DSD stream ?
How can I share DSD with others ?<<

I'm not sure.

>>Since SACD is inaccessible to all but the "professionals", I'm still unsure why I'd want the Mytek.
Do SACD players output DSD streams through their digi-outs ?<<

Ignoring the DSD input, it does PCM, and from what i've heard from other Mytek dac's, it'll sound *very* good

it's the latest mytek dac.  the fact that it also does dsd is irrelevant.  i want it for pcm...

BobW

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2005, 07:34:56 PM »
>>Where would I get a DSD stream ?
How can I share DSD with others ?<<

I'm not sure.

>>Since SACD is inaccessible to all but the "professionals", I'm still unsure why I'd want the Mytek.
Do SACD players output DSD streams through their digi-outs ?<<

Ignoring the DSD input, it does PCM, and from what i've heard from other Mytek dac's, it'll sound *very* good

it's the latest mytek dac.  the fact that it also does dsd is irrelevant.  i want it for pcm...

Ah ! Now I get it. 
I still think there may be future in DSD, I'm just darned if I know what it is yet.

Offline cfox

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 4channel Schoeps
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2005, 11:20:57 AM »
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 24-192 DAC
Schoeps cmc1k + cmc1k
mk41v, mk4v, mk22, mk21, mk8, mk2s
Sound Devices 833
m222>nt222
cmc6, vms5u, vms52, kc5, kcy, v3(m/s mod),
ad1000, HHb PDR1000, Sound Devices 744t, Sound Devices 833

BobW

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2005, 09:05:56 AM »
are you still referring to the mytek? it can take in a pcm input and do "normal" d/a conversion. or it can take a dsd stream and do d/a conversion on that. they are separate processes. I guess i'm just not understanding your question

Where would I get a DSD stream ?
How can I share DSD with others ?

Since SACD is inaccessible to all but the "professionals", I'm still unsure why I'd want the Mytek.
Do SACD players output DSD streams through their digi-outs ?

I've got your DSD streams

DSD DAC? :o
and I'm on probation!! :-X

Bob,
As I understand it, the Tascam DSD recorders are a whole step ahead of affordable consumer editing programs. Discwelder Bronze is reported to be able to process DSD to DVD-A, but still very pricy at present. The forum computer geeks are also reporting that it will be likely very affordable by next year as software prices drop.
So for now, we master and store, waiting for processing gear to catch up. Right now, I'm hand placing track marks live during the performance, just to put some place marks on the disc.

Thanks !

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2005, 12:38:35 PM »
it's been brought up by name but not really discussed...the grace m902 does just about everything you've been asking for except for multiple coax inputs...it has aes, toslink, coax, and usb for 16/44.1 files.  it also has balanced and unbalanced analog inputs for other sources, and unbalanced outs to drive an amp+speakers or just powered monitors.  it sounds spectacular, though i haven't put it up against anything else...i may take it down to tim's place sometime to compare to his dac.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2005, 01:17:02 PM »
The m902 is an integrated DAC and preamp?  I'm not sure if I'm ready to give up the PV14 (I have multiple analog sources as well) but it has a theater pass through mode that would work if I ran the 902 behind the denon.  On the other hand, the m902 may be a better preamp than the PV14.

I want multiple coax for the disc transport and DAT, although I don't listen to the DAT much so I guess I could swap wires when needed.

I'm still interested in opinions on how all these options rank against one another.  I realize that it is system and material dependent to a degree.  I have not owned a DAC at this level.  So I'm just trying to get a feel for where in the ranking I can afford to play.  I could stretch a little to get something I won't need to upgrade for a few years.   (notice I said "need".  around here, we don't upgrade because we "want" to, we do it because we "need" to).

I don't supposed all you guys want to fly in with your gear for a weekend DAC shootout.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2005, 01:41:47 PM »
The m902 is an integrated DAC and preamp?

well...my understanding of playback terms is basically zilch...i don't know if this is considered a preamp or not or even what constitutes one...what i can tell you is it is a high quality headphone amp and has line level outputs, so i guess that's a preamp.
I don't supposed all you guys want to fly in with your gear for a weekend DAC shootout.

if you're buyin, i'm flyin!  ;)
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2005, 02:01:21 PM »
Are the m902 RCA line outputs straight line level or are they adjustable using the same control that adjusts the headphone amp volume?  Do you run your m902 unballanced analog outs straight into your main system amplifier and then control the volume using the m902 panel?  If so, its also a line level preamp.   I looked at the grace site and it seemed like it was a DAC/headphone amp with line outs from the DAC to feed the line stage preamp in a full sized stereo.  I think remember Doug Oade talking about using a Grace headphone amp but there was something about using it like a linestage preamp required a 1/4" TRS to unbalanced RCA converter.

If I'm buying any tickets, I'm flying out to Colorado. ;-)  I've been wanting to get back to Boulder for a visit. 
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2005, 02:27:36 PM »
well shit, come on out! ;D

yeah the volume control on the m902 controls the rca outs as well...i use it to drive my powered alesis monitors (see sig).  a push of the rotary volume knob allows you to switch control of the rca outs or headphone outs...and there's a feature to have exclusive output, so either monitors or 'phones, or both.  it really is a slick machine.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2005, 04:50:38 PM »
I think remember Doug Oade talking about using a Grace headphone amp but there was something about using it like a linestage preamp required a 1/4" TRS to unbalanced RCA converter.

that's for the grace 901, the pre-curser to the m902.  The 901 only had 1/4" headphones outputs (2 of them).  The m902 added RCA outputs in the rear, and upgraded the internal DAC (which was already very nice in the 901, but improved jitter control and now up to 192 kHz with the m902.  (the DAC inside the 901 is limited to 96kHz)).  also, I think a remote control feature was added to the m902.  On the analog things, I think a couple of minor things were improved with the m902, but basically the same as the analog stage as the 901 (hard to beat analog grace amps, IMO).  There is probably other things that are different between the 901 and the m902, but I don't recall them right now.

to read what a few of us on this board thought when doing a direct comparison between the Grace 901 and the Benchmark DAC1, check out this thread:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=41121.0

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com