Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help pls - DAT Recoring setup requirements?  (Read 2873 times)

Offline stunt_show

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Help pls - DAT Recoring setup requirements?
« on: August 29, 2003, 08:38:00 PM »
Hi there,

This is kinda long, so please bare with me...

Can someone please point me in the right direction?  Is there anywhere on the internet that breaks down into layman terms what all these abbreviations mean (and do) when it comes to Recording?

For example, what are these AD-20's people refer to, or the UA-5 etc?

I know of a guy looking to sell me (for $700 Australian = $450 USD):

Sony D-100 DAT Recorder with about 50 hours of use (used obviously)
Sound Professionals Premium Binaural mics in croakie setup (used)

What else essentially would I need?  Can someone please suggest appropriate Battery Pack setups, makes / models, where I get them from online, etc?

I am in Australia but have no problem ordering online from the USA.

I get confused about what else needs to be hooked up to the rig to get a decent recording.  What else would I be missing, assuming I have the mics, battery pack and D-100?

Any help would be appreciated, would love to learn some more before I take the plunge!

I am still comparing the D-100 with the Nomad Jukebox 3 - as I am a newbie, I have no real clue - I have been reading these ts.com forums for a couple of weeks now (and others) and as much as I have learnt since then, I feel like I am not getting anywhere.

Lastly (if you are still awake), I would like to know the minimum required cables needed to transfer from DAT to PC - and what software most people recommend to edit the recording before burning?  I think Sound Forge or something like that is pretty good?

Do I need a decent (digital) sound card also, and if so what would be recommended?

Thanks so much to those who have (a) read this post and (b) in advance, reply to me with some help...

My total budget would be around $800 USD and I don't mind used components...

stunt_show

rabhan

Re:Help pls - DAT Recoring setup requirements?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2003, 09:08:30 PM »
welcome to ts.com!

we have resident newbie helpers that can answer all your questions!

...............paging skalinder, skalinder where are you?

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2003, 04:24:45 AM »
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=14;action=display;threadid=4237

this will help if you haven't seen it, plus it has a list of gear with functions and what not

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2003, 08:48:34 AM »
$450 for an ad-20? that seems high
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline stunt_show

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2003, 08:56:24 AM »
Nah, that's $450 USD for a Sony D-100 DAT Recorder and also Sound Pro Binaural Mics in croakies...

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2003, 10:28:23 AM »
Nah, that's $450 USD for a Sony D-100 DAT Recorder and also Sound Pro Binaural Mics in croakies...

ahh, ok, that is a good deal then ;D
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2003, 09:37:57 PM »
go for it, but yea as for transfers to PC you would need a card that accepts digital. you could run an anolog line in, but you'd be sacrificing quality.  i'd say buy that, and get a UA-5, all its info are on http://www.core-sound.com/ua-5.html

if you went that route, and you wanted to get into a little more taping, you could buy a pair of mics, build a battery for the UA-5, then you got a portable pre.  and you could use it at home for digital transfers...  good luck.

peace
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2003, 12:00:48 AM »
I wouldn't use the UA-5 for digital transfers at home because none of Edirol's products are bit-accurate, by their own admission. That's fine when you're recording because you're using it as an A/D, but on straight digital throughput it would resample everything...
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com