Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 24bit RELIABLE bit bucket to run behind V3  (Read 9547 times)

Offline aberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Canada
24bit RELIABLE bit bucket to run behind V3
« on: December 18, 2006, 01:12:27 PM »
So right now I'm running iRiver at 16bit, and can periodically run my macbook for 24bit optical in from the V3, but I'm looking for a reliable, easily-portable, field ready, and relatively inexpensive bit bucket that will do 24/48 at least and optimally accepts a digi-coax in rather than optical.

What is everyone's favourite 24bit bit bucket these days? Anything I should watch out for in the new year?

I'm looking for something not much more than $500 realistically.

FWIW, I initially thought I'd jump on an MT, but have since decided I don't want to deal with its stability issues.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Re: 24bit RELIABLE bit bucket to run behind V3
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 01:15:56 PM »
AFAIK, the MicroTrack's the only option in that price range.  FWIW, I and plenty of other folks have run the MT as a bit-bucket with minimal trouble initially, followed by slim to no issues after identifying and working with its quirks.

Dnsacks may have some input on a PDA-based bit-bucket, but that may (or may not) take you above your budget.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 01:16:59 PM »
Ive been using the V3 > MT combo for ab00t a year now. with the latest firmware, things seem to work very well now :)
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 01:17:23 PM »
I'm quite happy with my dell axim x51v handheld, coresound's pdaudio cf card and the excellent live24/96 software.

The live 24/96 software automatically splits wav files at the proper point (which the mt won't do) and makes for a really handy pda.

VERY durable and, so far, battery life has NOT been an issue.

fwiw

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 01:19:33 PM »
I'm quite happy with my dell axim x51v handheld, coresound's pdaudio cf card and the excellent live24/96 software.

The live 24/96 software automatically splits wav files at the proper point (which the mt won't do) and makes for a really handy pda.

fwiw

What would a setup like that cost? I've heard some bad things about PDA rigs in terms of reliability as well.

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 01:20:09 PM »
Also, does anyone know the going rate for a used stock pmd671?

Offline KLowe

• Trade Count: (5)
  • CrossFit....check you ego at the door
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 01:21:15 PM »
FWIW.  I actually love my MT as a bit bucket at 24/48.  The only issue I had was batery life with a microdrive.  Made a Li ion battery pack now the thing is rock solid and battery life lasts forever.

get a used MT for cheap.
I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

bwaaaahahahahahaha.... that is awesome!

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 01:24:15 PM »
FWIW.  I actually love my MT as a bit bucket at 24/48.  The only issue I had was batery life with a microdrive.  Made a Li ion battery pack now the thing is rock solid and battery life lasts forever.

get a used MT for cheap.

It seems that for every person that suggests the MT is stable, I find another person who has problems... not really sure if I want to take that gamble at this point... maybe I'm imagining things, but wasn't there a used pmd671 that sold on here a while back for $475 or so... to me, that would seem like a great deal.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 01:25:31 PM »
after using a MT for 6 or 7 months, I decided that I no longer wanted to deal with the quirks, but mostly, the lack of an auto-split at 2 gigs.  Granted, the latest firmware (which I never got to use), seems to be better in terms of overall stability, but there is still no 2 gig autosplit.  that was a big deal for me and made it a hassle to run.  so, I made the switch to a Tascam HD-P2.  it's been rock solid and I haven't looked back.  I think either an HD-P2 or the Marantz PMD-671 would be worthwhile, especially if you can find one used.

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 01:27:47 PM »
after using a MT for 6 or 7 months, I decided that I no longer wanted to deal with the quirks, but mostly, the lack of an auto-split at 2 gigs.  Granted, the latest firmware (which I never got to use), seems to be better in terms of overall stability, but there is still no 2 gig autosplit.  that was a big deal for me and made it a hassle to run.  so, I made the switch to a Tascam HD-P2.  it's been rock solid and I haven't looked back.  I think either an HD-P2 or the Marantz PMD-671 would be worthwhile, especially if you can find one used.

Yeah, between those 2 units, I've heard nothing but good things, but would probably opt for the 671 since it's slightly smaller. Either way, with a v3 and one of those units, I'd probably be investing in a Nova 5.

Offline jmerin

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 01:28:09 PM »
i agree the tascam rocks, when i had mine, i had no issues at all, and tascam is a reliable company.  
Mics: Schoeps MK4's | Schoeps MK41's | Schoeps Mk21's
Pre-Amps: Schoeps VMS02ib | Nbox Platinum KCY
Cables: KCY 250/5 Ig (2)
Recorders: Sony M10  | Tascam 70D l Edirol R-44

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 01:34:18 PM »
Well, the tascam and marantz units are proven, so those are definitely good options.

Are there any good units coming out in the new year that people are hyping? i haven't been following the threads.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 01:46:02 PM »
Yeah, between those 2 units, I've heard nothing but good things, but would probably opt for the 671 since it's slightly smaller. Either way, with a v3 and one of those units, I'd probably be investing in a Nova 5.

actually, I went with the HD-P2 partially because it's smaller.
from this thread that I started a while back:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=62271.0

Marantz PMD-671
size: 10.4" x 7.3" x 2"

Tascam HD-P2
size: 9.6" x 7.4" x 2.36"

the HD-P2 is just a little taller (0.1 inches), and a little thicker (0.36 inches), but the PMD-671 is 0.8 inches wider.
I guess it all depends which dimension is more important to you :)

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 02:11:55 PM »

actually, I went with the HD-P2 partially because it's smaller.
from this thread that I started a while back:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=62271.0

Marantz PMD-671
size: 10.4" x 7.3" x 2"

Tascam HD-P2
size: 9.6" x 7.4" x 2.36"

the HD-P2 is just a little taller (0.1 inches), and a little thicker (0.36 inches), but the PMD-671 is 0.8 inches wider.
I guess it all depends which dimension is more important to you :)

Ah, thanks for the clarification Jason... I guess they're basically the same size give or take.

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2006, 02:39:28 PM »

fwiw

Have you got any pics of your setup? This looks like pretty cool stuff.

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2006, 03:07:08 PM »
i agree the tascam rocks, when i had mine, i had no issues at all, and tascam is a reliable company.  

"Testify"

I still have mine................
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline rePat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2006, 03:32:58 PM »

[/quote]

I have the same setup.  It's not without quirks, but fairly reliable.

You can see generic pics at:

http://www.core-sound.com/pdaudio_system/1.php

Good Luck in your search.
DPA 4021 >SD MP-2>Sony PCM M10

Church Audio Cardoids>Edirol R-09

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2006, 03:34:35 PM »

I have the same setup.  It's not without quirks, but fairly reliable.

You can see generic pics at:

http://www.core-sound.com/pdaudio_system/1.php

Good Luck in your search.
[/quote]

What sort of quirks have you encountered?

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2006, 03:38:52 PM »
berg, maybe try to sell the v3 and pick up a v2 and run v2>lineout>671/hdp2 ???
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Sanjay

• www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2006, 03:40:04 PM »
or just buy a acm 671, i can't really tell the difference between it and a v3....
mics & cameras

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2006, 03:46:48 PM »
Going to keep the V3 for a long time I think... I'll probably just end up with a stock p2 or 671 eventually... or see what goodies the new year brings.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2006, 03:52:30 PM »
Last time I checked, the 671 and HD-P2 were both significantly higher than the budget of $500, like in the neighborhood of $800-$1k.  Media will add another ~$100, though media prices continue to fall.

Sounds like the PDA route may get you close to your budget.  PDAudio-CF runs $200 + the s/w at $50.  If you can find a decent deal on the right PDA, you're right around your budget.  That may just be the way to go.

Perhaps the lesson here is that you get what you pay for:  inexpensive & slightly less reliable (for some), or more expensive but generally very reliable for all.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2006, 03:54:13 PM »
Last time I checked, the 671 and HD-P2 were both significantly higher than the budget of $500, like in the neighborhood of $800-$1k.  Media will add another ~$100, though media prices continue to fall.

Sounds like the PDA route may get you close to your budget.  PDAudio-CF runs $200 + the s/w at $50.  If you can find a decent deal on the right PDA, you're right around your budget.  That may just be the way to go.

Perhaps the lesson here is that you get what you pay for:  inexpensive & slightly less reliable (for some), or more expensive but generally very reliable for all.

Very good points, which might lead me to wait several months, stick with 16bit iriver and 24bit macbook, until the financial situation allows for a more reliable purchase.

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2006, 03:57:54 PM »

I would be careful with the PDA stuff.  Like a laptop, it just seems like one more thing to go wrong.

As far as 24bit, what is the hurry?  I use it on my R4, but more often than not, I use this so I can leave the levels low and run unattended.  If I'm going to run just two channels, 16 bit seems fine.  Even if you add 6-10dB in post, it is still nowhere near the noise floor of the rooms most of us record in :).

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2006, 04:04:03 PM »

I would be careful with the PDA stuff.  Like a laptop, it just seems like one more thing to go wrong.

As far as 24bit, what is the hurry?  I use it on my R4, but more often than not, I use this so I can leave the levels low and run unattended.  If I'm going to run just two channels, 16 bit seems fine.  Even if you add 6-10dB in post, it is still nowhere near the noise floor of the rooms most of us record in :).

Richard

Also a good point... since you've chimed in, any shows coming up richard in town that are worth checking out?

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2006, 04:58:51 PM »
fwiw, so far, my pda-based system has been rock-solid.  I believe that the problems/quirkyness that plagued earlier versions of this concept were rooted in the need to use innovative solutions such as card splitter interfaces and external hard drives to obtain sufficient storage.  With the advent of 4gb sd cards, this is a thing of the past. 

Further, the current os for these pdas has proven itself to be quite robust.  A great feature/requirement is the need to perform a hard reboot before initiating the pdaudio software.  This causes the pda to load ONLY the core factory-installed programs and not whatever else one's installed on the system since purchase and, knock on wood, has allowed mine to perform quite reliably so far.  Another development that's def. helped is the relatively recent availability of faster processors for these pdas, which now allows for far more worry-free 24/96 recording.

Finally, a note on durability -- I carry mine around with me daily in a soft case and it's behaved quite will.  I've read reviews in which the reviewer was instructed to drop the axim onto a concrete floor from 10', did so repeatedly and found it suffered no ill effects.  I'm not so brave, but . . . .

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2006, 05:18:04 PM »
fwiw, so far, my pda-based system has been rock-solid.  I believe that the problems/quirkyness that plagued earlier versions of this concept were rooted in the need to use innovative solutions such as card splitter interfaces and external hard drives to obtain sufficient storage.  With the advent of 4gb sd cards, this is a thing of the past. 

Further, the current os for these pdas has proven itself to be quite robust.  A great feature/requirement is the need to perform a hard reboot before initiating the pdaudio software.  This causes the pda to load ONLY the core factory-installed programs and not whatever else one's installed on the system since purchase and, knock on wood, has allowed mine to perform quite reliably so far.  Another development that's def. helped is the relatively recent availability of faster processors for these pdas, which now allows for far more worry-free 24/96 recording.

Finally, a note on durability -- I carry mine around with me daily in a soft case and it's behaved quite will.  I've read reviews in which the reviewer was instructed to drop the axim onto a concrete floor from 10', did so repeatedly and found it suffered no ill effects.  I'm not so brave, but . . . .

Sounds good, got any pics of your setup?

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2006, 05:21:41 PM »
Ive been using the V3 > MT combo for ab00t a year now. with the latest firmware, things seem to work very well now :)

agree, I have had no problems with the current firmware. Only complaints now are the 2GB limit and no monitoring out of the headphone out when taking SPDIF in.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2006, 05:27:46 PM »
Not right now, I'll try to shoot some, basically, its a stock dell axim x51v with the cf card digital input sticking 1/2" out of the top --

One caveat, IMHO, the axim solution only would make sense if you have an independent use for a PDA -- if it's to be used solely for recording, you're likely better off holding out for a pdm671 or hd-p2.

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2006, 05:31:39 PM »
Not right now, I'll try to shoot some, basically, its a stock dell axim x51v with the cf card digital input sticking 1/2" out of the top --

One caveat, IMHO, the axim solution only would make sense if you have an independent use for a PDA -- if it's to be used solely for recording, you're likely better off holding out for a pdm671 or hd-p2.

Yah, good point. I would only be buying it for recording purposes...

Offline coloartist

• Trade Count: (13)
  • MGoldey -"you can shove those mics up your ass
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2006, 11:09:25 AM »
My only problems these days with my MT, is the 2 gig limit. If I was recording 16 bit it would be no problem.

At 24 bit I have had to restart a new file a couple of times during an encore break.

On the Jamcruise sets can easily go over two hours. Starting a new file sort of sucks. I would prefer to "set it and forget it", but I do have to keep my eye on the unit when nearing 1:55min. I can start a new file in a few seconds, and I can patch in my backup aftrewards. Or I can run at 16 bit.

I'll have a 744 someday, but for now, the MT works fine.
mk4>Kwon/din a/din>kc5>cmc6>kindkables XLR>788T
mk22>Kwon/NOS>kc5>cmc6>kindkablesXLR>788t                                                     
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       
Samsung Backlit LED 55">Pioneer Elite SC-27>Snell Acoustics E.5  Series

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.134 seconds with 56 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com