Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M-Audio FTPro First time in the field  (Read 1602 times)

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
M-Audio FTPro First time in the field
« on: December 28, 2006, 08:56:14 AM »
So I took my toys out of the house the other night; it was the first time I'd run my complete rig outside of a home-studio-esque setting and I thought i'd throw out a couple notes on the FTPro.

First, my setup was as follows:

Superlux SMK-H8K (cards) > M-Audio FTPro > USB > Laptop (Audacity) 16/48
FOB LOC

The show was TaperSection.Com favorite: Keller Williams in his annual hometown Xmas benefit for the SPCA (I live in his hometown so I see him once a year.)  The venue was new to, well, everyone. An aluminum-roofed, cinder-block walled structure @ the local fairgrounds. When I walked in, the PA Music sounded as if it were blasting in a tin can.  ::)  To his credit, Keller's soundman, Lou did a fine job dialing in the room and that element improved significantly once the show started.

Now, to the point.
The FTPro was easy to use, worked solidly on a simple 9v of power and didn't fail to deliver. However, i had to crank the gain, even in that loud room to get my levels up. For those who haven't seen one, the gain knobs zero out at ~7o'clock and peak at ~5o'clock. I ran at ~3 with only one clip from a bit of stray feedback on the entire show.

If i hadn't had laptop power problems (stupidity on my part) I'd seed the thing. It actually sounds half decent. However, with no regrets, I'll keep this one in the archive and chalk up a positive learning experience...

Oh, and before you ask "Why 16/48?" I was going to run my nomad as a backup... Wish I had.

If there is any interest I'll put up a clip or two...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 08:58:24 AM by rowjimmy »
@rowj | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
Superlux SMK-H8K/H/U > KindKables Black Stealths > Busman T-Mod FR2LE

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 25 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com