Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iRiver H120 - hard drive problems  (Read 4064 times)

Offline Aaron41

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Quack
iRiver H120 - hard drive problems
« on: July 13, 2007, 09:24:07 PM »
I've been getting a message that reads:

"The disk is full. Please STOP to continue."

Quite a bit lately. It corrupts the file it was recording. I've tried seemingly everything to correct this. Started with the basic "System > Rockbox Info > press joystick" to scan the hard drive. After it still messed up, I deleted everything, reformatted, and installed the latest build of Rockbox.

I ran a successful test recording for 9 hours using the internal mics while the unit was plugged into the AC adapter. Afterwards, I ran a test without the adapter with a full battery. It gave me the message within 5 minutes of recording.

These problems started at Bonnaroo. I also started using an external battery box that I bought over Ebay during this festival. Could a battery box do this to an iRiver?

Any help would be great. I really like the iRiver and really need it for some upcoming shows. I'd rather not have to buy a new one.  :'(
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 10:42:15 PM by Aaron41 »
"The pizza game has treated me well" - Evil Taper

Offline dgodwin

• AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
Re: iRiver H120 - "the disk is full" when it isn't
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 09:30:23 PM »

[530] Why is Rockbox saying my drive is full when it really isn't?
This has happened to a bunch of people.  You delete a bunch of files in windows, but you're getting this damn message in Rockbox saying your disk is full.  The reason for this was best described by Petur in another thread:

'The problem you're seeing is that when deleting files through the usb connection (windows/linux/mac/...), rockbox doesn't know about the freed space.
For speed reasons the disk isn't scanned on bootup, and rockbox thinks the clusters are still occupied. We're still looking for a way to get round this, maybe do a scan in the background or set a flag somewhere when we suspect a scan is needed.

To make rockbox rescan the drive:

go to Menu -> Info ->Rockbox Info and tap the play button (or click the joystick).
You should see a Scanning disk message.'

To play it safe you should probably do this every time you delete a bunch of files via windows.  This problem does not occur if you delete via Rockbox. To delete via Rockbox, via the file browse just select the file or directory you wish to delete, then click and hold the joystick.  A menu will appear.  Select delete, and click the joystick another couple of times to confirm.   This can come in very handy when you're on the road and realise you don't have enough disk space to record the gig you've just set up for. Smiley

Offline Aaron41

• Quack
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 09:32:32 PM »
I did that, unfortunately.

I've tried seemingly everything to correct this. Started with the basic "System > Rockbox Info > press joystick" to scan the hard drive.
"The pizza game has treated me well" - Evil Taper

Offline whatboutbob

• Taperssection Member
  • A very happy chappy right now...
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 10:42:15 PM »
2 possibilities spring to mind:

1) check your disk health - it may be on the way out. good thread about analysing disks over at misticriver - it may be referenced in the iriver FAQ.

2) degraded USB daughterboard connection issue

I've had similar issues on one of many units that I've had at one time or another - but cannot for the life of me recall if or how I fixed it. having typed that, my subconscious is telling me it was a dodgy drive.
Mics: Audix m1290's, AT943's (w/ AT853 C/O/H caps), AT853's
Power: PS-2, Homebrew 3wbb, SPSB-6
Pre/AD: UA-5 (BM2p+), CA-9100, AD-20
Recorder: iriver H120, H160

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com