Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: best way to send signal from V3>Dr680  (Read 11041 times)

Offline MULETAPER

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • ~Find Love Thru Music and Share It~
    • Global Moderator
best way to send signal from V3>Dr680
« on: December 03, 2017, 12:39:28 PM »
AES or coax/spidif?

ssia.

Thanks, Ive never ran my V3>680 was thinking of bringing to xmas jam. I just want to know the best way to run this combo... thanks.

Oh.. SLA battery... how many MAH will get me thru 10hrs?
Beyerdynamic MC930's>Neumann KM184s>Tascam DR-680

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
Re: best way to send signal from V3>Dr680
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 12:43:15 PM »
I always ran mine coax/ spdif cable!!  Worked fine into the 680. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 02:36:26 PM by jbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline MULETAPER

• Taperssection Member
    • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 12:48:35 PM »
what setting do I need to change on 680 to accept it? mix mon/din mon?

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 02:38:11 PM »
It has been a while since I've owned a 680 so I'm not sure.  There is a way to run it digi as channel 7/8 or 5/6.  Maybe someone that owns one will chime in.  Sorry

what setting do I need to change on 680 to accept it? mix mon/din mon?
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 04:08:38 PM »
If you want 7/8 to be the digital input: In the 'REC' menu set the 'stereo rec.' to DIN

If you want 5/6 to be the digital input: In the 'REC' menu set the 'stereo rec' to 'mix' and in the 'I/O' menu set the 'input select' to 'DIGITAL'

The 680 manual (pdf): https://www.avisoft.com/DR-680.pdf (pages 25 and 28 are what you're looking for.)

I've never used a V3, but I'm lazy so S/PDIF seems like the easiest way to go.  Just need a mono RCA cable.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 04:22:55 PM by achalsey »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 11:14:07 AM »
^ Confirmed. 

SPDIF via RCA cable.  Display on the 680 will indicate DIN LOCK when signal is detected from the V3 and will lock to the SPDIF clock signal.  Pushing the ENTER key to dismisses the notice.  Similarly, the display will indicate DIN UNLOCK if the connection is lost, upon which the 680 will revert to it's internal 680 clock, and does so seamlessly without glitching the recording.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline MULETAPER

• Taperssection Member
    • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 12:08:29 PM »
thanks, looking forward to putting the V3 in front of the neumanns. 

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 08:00:19 PM »
^ Confirmed. 

SPDIF via RCA cable.  Display on the 680 will indicate DIN LOCK when signal is detected from the V3 and will lock to the SPDIF clock signal.  Pushing the ENTER key to dismisses the notice.  Similarly, the display will indicate DIN UNLOCK if the connection is lost, upon which the 680 will revert to it's internal 680 clock, and does so seamlessly without glitching the recording.

So I'm apparently doing something wrong.  I'm trying to test this before a couple of shows starting tomorrow night, and I'm not getting any notice from the 680 that it's seeing the signal from the V3.  I've got the STEREO REC set to DIN to record the digital input to tracks 7/8.  The V3 is on and metering properly when I clap my hands, but nothing is registering on the 680.

EDIT:  So I changed the settings to record the digital input to channels 5/6 and suddenly I'm seeing the levels on the 680, but I haven't seen the message telling me that it's locked to the V3.  Is this a problem?

EDIT 2:  I figured it out (at least with respect to channels 5/6).  With the 680 and V3 powered on, it didn't give me any message about seeing the V3 when I changed the settings in the 680 REC  and I/O menus, but when I powered off the 680 and turned it back on, the message popped up.  It also pops up if I turn the V3 on or off.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 09:25:09 PM by mattmiller »
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 09:33:33 AM »
Hmmm.  Maybe your 680 needed a power reset to recognize the change for some reason.  I don't recall ever needing to so that though.  Does it now work to the stereo track with STEREO REC = DIN as well?  I think in addition to that setting change, you also need to set ch 5/6 back to analog to make that work.

But unless you need 8 recorded channels, you might as well record the V3 SPDIF signal to ch5/6 anyway.  That way you can headphone monitor all your inputs if you like, and/or listen to a mix of all recorded channels direct out of the recorder, neither of which include the separate stereo channel.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 09:28:38 AM »
^ Confirmed. 

So I'm apparently doing something wrong.  I'm trying to test this before a couple of shows starting tomorrow night, and I'm not getting any notice from the 680 that it's seeing the signal from the V3.  I've got the STEREO REC set to DIN to record the digital input to tracks 7/8.  The V3 is on and metering properly when I clap my hands, but nothing is registering on the 680.

EDIT:  So I changed the settings to record the digital input to channels 5/6 and suddenly I'm seeing the levels on the 680, but I haven't seen the message telling me that it's locked to the V3.  Is this a problem?

EDIT 2:  I figured it out (at least with respect to channels 5/6).  With the 680 and V3 powered on, it didn't give me any message about seeing the V3 when I changed the settings in the 680 REC  and I/O menus, but when I powered off the 680 and turned it back on, the message popped up.  It also pops up if I turn the V3 on or off.

btw we tried digi on 7/8 this past panic run. and there is no levels but it does record. we set it up saw no indication of levels as you mentioned but rolled anyway. We had a deck also recording the 7/8 feed so wasnt a big deal, when we got it home and opened up the 7/8 in audacity it was definitely the c426. fwiw
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 12:52:52 PM »
^ Confirmed. 

btw we tried digi on 7/8 this past panic run. and there is no levels but it does record. we set it up saw no indication of levels as you mentioned but rolled anyway. We had a deck also recording the 7/8 feed so wasnt a big deal, when we got it home and opened up the 7/8 in audacity it was definitely the c426. fwiw
Clarification (since I was running the deck/levels): We set it up as mentioned to do digi 7/8 which was an a rca cable in from a Grace V3 digi out (from an AKGc426). When we had the signal running through the 680 ch 7/8, also using channels 1-6, we were unable to determine if the levels in the MIX area were actually the digi in OR a mix of 1-6. The screen showed MIX next to the levels as opposed to DIN, so I was worried that it was not recording digi in. (we had no headphones in the show)
Once we got home and took all 8 channels off the SD card, we realized that 7/8 WERE the digi in and we were very pleased with the results. It was looking at this thread SAT morning which allowed us to get the DR680 set properly.
THANKS guys!!   8) 
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline mattmiller

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2019, 01:43:06 PM »
OK, that's good to know.  I didn't do any further testing with it on 7/8, but 5/6 worked out great at my two shows last week.  This will be my go-to setup going forward.  The only "problem" was dealing with my 3-foot digi cable.  My searches so far haven't turned up any options in the 12-inch range with right-angle connections.  I know I can buy the right-angle adapters, but even fining a single RCA cable that short has eluded me so far.

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2019, 02:22:57 PM »
OK, that's good to know.  I didn't do any further testing with it on 7/8, but 5/6 worked out great at my two shows last week.  This will be my go-to setup going forward.  The only "problem" was dealing with my 3-foot digi cable.  My searches so far haven't turned up any options in the 12-inch range with right-angle connections.  I know I can buy the right-angle adapters, but even fining a single RCA cable that short has eluded me so far.
Gakcables is your answer. PM Ted and ask him to build you one. His TS handle is tgakidis
https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0
https://taperssection.com/index.php?action=profile;u=19317

music IS love

Offline mattmiller

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2019, 02:52:59 PM »
Gakcables is your answer. PM Ted and ask him to build you one. His TS handle is tgakidis

Oh, I'm well acquainted with Ted.  He hooked me up with a new battery cable for the V3 a couple weeks ago (the Tekkeon that was dedicated to the V3 wouldn't hold a charge, so I had to buy a new one, which required a different cable).  I was just looking for an off-the-shelf version before commissioning another custom job.

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2019, 03:49:44 PM »

Oh, I'm well acquainted with Ted.  He hooked me up with a new battery cable for the V3 a couple weeks ago (the Tekkeon that was dedicated to the V3 wouldn't hold a charge, so I had to buy a new one, which required a different cable).  I was just looking for an off-the-shelf version before commissioning another custom job.
+T. We've basically given TEd the orders for all cables lately. Mainly due to needing specific lengths.
music IS love

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com