Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Which Photo printer?  (Read 2259 times)

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
Which Photo printer?
« on: November 19, 2010, 02:41:27 PM »
I am becoming more interested in photography and will soon purchase the Canon 60D.

I am interested in making High Quality photo prints that are equal to film prints(or closer).....which photo printer?

I made some that are OK from a ink jet printer but are not good enough to sell.Thanks for any advice from your experience!

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Which Photo printer?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 03:57:10 PM »
I find that it's a lot easier to just have a professional company print them. With the price of ink it's just easier to deal with for me.

Recently I've been using mpix.com and have been very happy with them. They frequently have sales, so I'll save up a bunch of prints until they have a sale and then print them all.

The only issue I had was a big canvas print that had colors that were way off. I emailed them and they sent out a corrected version the next day, and didn't even ask for the bad one back.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Datfly

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 04:56:04 PM »
The Epson 2400 if it is still available is very nice.
I sold mine & upgraded to the Epson 3880 and it is as sweet as they come! Sizes up to 17x22 !!

I do agree however that if you live near a Costco it may be cheaper in the long run.
I like instant gratification though!

Datfly
Mics: Schoeps MK41's - Ass't Shure & Sennheiser for stage
Pre-Amps: Naiant Tinybox 2.2 o/t 
Cables: Nbob Actives V1
Recorders: Zoom F8nPro - F3 - H6 x 3 + Tascam DR-2d x 2
Panasonic ZS100 4K X 2
Sony NX80 4K | Sony AX700 4K  X 4 Camcorders
Canon 5D MK III
Canon 300 2.8 IS II | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II | Canon 24-70 2.8 II | Canon 16-35 4.0

Offline Shadow_7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 08:21:23 AM »
More of an instant type myself.  Plus I'm a good 30 miles from the nearest Kinkos and stuff.  60 miles round trip.  $6 x2 for delivery and pickup, just for the gas in vehicle, plus 2 hours or more in total travel time.  You probably want a color laser printer.  Inkjet prints bleed if they get wet.  And because they are wet at the time of being printed, the bleed factor keeps them from looking all that great. 

I want something in the 1200x1200dpi range myself, but it seems like most end up being 2400x600 dpi at best.  600dpi for sheet music is kind of hideous, especially if you have to shrink parts to put into a flip folder.  For CD / DVD labels and stuff not all that great either.  Depending on what you're printing.  I tend to use povray to do my layouts and fancy graphics with pixel accuracy.  So pixel perfect circles at 6000px x 6000px still look pixelated at 600dpi.  At 3000px without the oversampling / bit-bucket it's far worse to include those strange lines and patterns you'd get with digital drawing at low resolutions.

Unless you do a lot of prints or don't live near a service.  Then using a service is probably the better option.  There are a number of decent options near the $400 range for ownership.  But replacement toner will likely cost as much as the printer.  I don't know if laser printers suffer this, but if my inkjet sets a while between prints (week+), I have to print a couple of pages before it starts doing good prints again.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com