Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Some AT853Rx Q's  (Read 3050 times)

Offline ~ Dan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Some AT853Rx Q's
« on: July 13, 2005, 06:10:38 PM »
Howdy,

(1) I got my 853Rx's a little while ago and have been getting stuff to run it through.  I have an ARTcessories Phantom II and a dual xlr to 1/8 stereo cable.  Is it alright to run the 853Rx's > Phantom II > dual xlr to 1/8 > jb3 -- like I won't fry my mics or anything of that nature without something like an AD-20?  Sorry, that probably sounds silly, but I don't want to screw any of my gear up!  Hopefully I'll be getting an AD-20 soon or some kind of ADC, but I just wanted to hear my mics like they are for the mean time.

(2) How would I list my mics with caps?  In my sig I just list it as AT853Rx (c/h) but is it actually corrent to replace the 'x' with the cap letter, like this... AT853Rc or AT853Rh?

Thanks for any help, I'm still a bit of a newbie, but hopefully that will change soon  :) !
AT853Rx (c/h/sc/o) > Denecke PS-2 > Denecke AD-20 > Nomad JB3 or iRiver iHP-120

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Some AT853Rx Q's
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 06:12:34 PM »
(2) How would I list my mics with caps?  In my sig I just list it as AT853Rx (c/h) but is it actually corrent to replace the 'x' with the cap letter, like this... AT853Rc or AT853Rh?

See my sig for how I list mine. There's no absolute "correct" way.
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline ~ Dan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 06:22:00 PM »
Thanks Steve +T  ;)

Oh, btw, would I have to list the 8533x too?  I see you list yours.  Or should that just be a given with the Rx's?

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 06:24:16 PM »
Howdy,

(1) I got my 853Rx's a little while ago and have been getting stuff to run it through.  I have an ARTcessories Phantom II and a dual xlr to 1/8 stereo cable.  Is it alright to run the 853Rx's > Phantom II > dual xlr to 1/8 > jb3 -- like I won't fry my mics or anything of that nature without something like an AD-20?  Sorry, that probably sounds silly, but I don't want to screw any of my gear up!  Hopefully I'll be getting an AD-20 soon or some kind of ADC, but I just wanted to hear my mics like they are for the mean time.

No, there shouldn't be any problems running them that way.  The only thing that would fry them would be the phantom (but the adapters take care of that).  I recommend the AD20.  I have a similar setup to you except the AD20's in the chain and I'm running AT943s
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline ~ Dan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 06:31:30 PM »
Howdy,

No, there shouldn't be any problems running them that way.  The only thing that would fry them would be the phantom (but the adapters take care of that).  I recommend the AD20.  I have a similar setup to you except the AD20's in the chain and I'm running AT943s

+T Aud, I think I'll probably go for the AD-20 to start off with too.  Have you ever stealthed the Phantom II?  I realize it can be done, but difficulty level?

Offline audBall

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 06:54:03 PM »
Howdy,

No, there shouldn't be any problems running them that way.  The only thing that would fry them would be the phantom (but the adapters take care of that).  I recommend the AD20.  I have a similar setup to you except the AD20's in the chain and I'm running AT943s

+T Aud, I think I'll probably go for the AD-20 to start off with too.  Have you ever stealthed the Phantom II?  I realize it can be done, but difficulty level?

Difficultly level depends on a few things (your size, temperature/climate, venue/band).  I actually stealthed one show with it.. ATs > ART > AD20 > JB3 and it was VERY uncomfortable.  I saw Toots & the Maytals and there was no searching or pat-downs whatsoever.  I wired everything up, had the mics on my ears, the AD20 in my front pocket, JB3 in hand and the ART Phantom on the front of my waist held to my stomach by my belt.  I'm 5'11" - 165 lbs and it was fucking painful to keep it there for the duration of the show.  So, yes, it can be done...given the right situation.  I imagine if it was real cold you could rig it up in a small jacket or something.  I just recently spoke w/ a guy on here about buying his PS2 to help out in stealth situations though. 

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 07:21:34 PM »
When I do my tracklist its usually:

Hypers

AT853RX (H) > Denecke PS2 > ...................

Cards:

AT853RX (C) > Denecke PS2 > .....................

I'm not sure if the X means capsule or phantom power.  Audio Technica usually uses numbers to differentiate capsules in its marketing scope.  Example on other AT models:  AT4051, AT4052, etc, etc.  No such marketing on the AT853RX

Offline ~ Dan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 07:25:00 PM »
Alright, I gotcha.  Thanks!

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 04:34:29 PM »
I think the "x" = the p48 module. I probably don't need to list mine.... but since I did the mod (er, unmod) myself, I do. :laugh:
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline cgrooves

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 05:00:30 PM »
I like to list my power module too, just because there are several that are commonly utilized.  Also, my AT power modules provide for bass roll-off, so I don't want there to be any question whether or not I'm running flat or using roll-off when someone looks at my source.

Things to keep in mind: 
The a/d in the JB3 isn't reportedly that good, so you probably do want to add the AD-20 if you stick with the JB3.  If you want to mainly stealth, consider getting an m1 to cut down on gear and still get good results.  The a/d in the m1 is comparable to the stock SBM-1.  The phantom II isn't that much larger than the PS-2 (I listed a size comparison in one thread - search), definitely not worth the extra money, IMO.
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline audBall

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 06:41:10 PM »
Things to keep in mind: 
  The phantom II isn't that much larger than the PS-2 (I listed a size comparison in one thread - search), definitely not worth the extra money, IMO.

This is true.  Not to mention that the ART holds two batteries instead of just one like the PS2.  And, yes, they are not that much different in size but I'd personally rather crotch the PS2 than the ART any day of the week.  Stealthing the ART is no fun and this should be kept in mind if you do plan on recording covert.  Otherwise the ART is great and is more cost effective than the PS2.  The reason I'm getting the PS2 that was offered is to match with my AD20, mainly for stealth.....so, if there's anyone looking for phantom power I may be up for selling the ART here pretty soon.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com