Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is more tape used when recording at 48 Khz?  (Read 2451 times)

Offline phishn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a lizard!
Is more tape used when recording at 48 Khz?
« on: October 14, 2003, 10:13:09 AM »
Hi,

Just wondering if more tape is used when recording at 48 Khz.  If so, how much music can fit on a 60 or 90 tape using a D8 dat?
AKG391/92/93's-> Hydra Silver XLR's -> UA-5(Oade warm mod) -> Microtrack II,JB3

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
Re:Is more tape used when recording at 48 Khz?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2003, 12:46:34 PM »
that's a really good question...i wonder why not, because obviously more data has to be written to the tape.
higher sample rates/bit depths require more hard drive space, interesting that they wouldn't require more space on a dat.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2003, 01:09:24 PM »
that's a really good question...i wonder why not, because obviously more data has to be written to the tape.
higher sample rates/bit depths require more hard drive space, interesting that they wouldn't require more space on a dat.

Sample rate has nothing to do with more space. It's simply how many measurements are taken from the stream per second. And sampling rate has more to do with overal frequency range than bits per second. With normal CD sampling of 44.1 KHz the Nyquist frequency is 22.05 KHz. Normally the Nyquist frequency is considered the highest frequency that can be accurately represented. Using "standard" DAT of 48 KHz that makes it 24 KHz. However, it doesn't take any more from a size perspective to get this additional 2 kHz. However, there are those who don't feel that having to resample from 48 to 44.1 is worth it. And to be honest they are probably right. There are also some DSP engineers who will argue that going to 96 KHz sampling as is becoming more common isn't worth it since you can't hear it and Nyquist Theorem also has some quirks.

Wayne (who hasn't had to break out the term Nyquist Theorem in a long time)
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2003, 01:45:28 PM »
+T for the info guys!
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2003, 02:10:18 PM »
Actually while running during lunch I thought some more about this question and I'm going to correct myself. It does have SOMETHING to do with space. However, the jump from 44.1 to 48 kHz is minimal. The jump to say 96 KHz would eat into the space on the tape. However, when compared to jumping from 16-bits to 24-bits, the jump isn't as bad. Which is another reason a few of the DSP engineers I knew always told folks to use 44 or 48 KHz and 24-bits over using 96 KHz and 16-bits when space was an issue. Actually Emagic at one time had some info where they told folks in vivid details why they generally stayed away from 96 KHz.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.187 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com