Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to connect DPA 4060s to Sound Professional battery module or preamp?  (Read 15276 times)

Offline RobS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Just checking, is it possible to connect two DPA 4060s (microdot) to a Sound Professional battery module or preamp?

I contacted Sound Professionals, but they're not giving any suggestions.

Apart from a CA9200 with microdot connectors or something like a MixPre with adapter, are there any others options?

The battery module or preamp will connect to a PCM-M10.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 08:25:29 PM by RobS »

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
Re: How to connect DPA 4060s to Sound Professional battery module or preamp?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 10:03:33 AM »
You can purchase one of these cables (I purchased a 2 footer):

http://www.cdint.com/catalog/category/Cables/10-32+female/to+10-32+female/RG174

And have it sent to TS member darktrain (contact prior), who will cut it in half to make a y-cable with an 1/8" connector attached, which will insert to a Sound Professionals battery box.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

ilduclo

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 10:24:23 AM »
sheesh! that's complicated! Why not just have the microdots cut off and terminate in a single 1/8" stereo mini?

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 10:52:11 AM »
You could certainly do that. My suggestion allows for the original cables to remain intact.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 12:09:59 PM »
Also, for those who prefer to make their own microdot>stereo-miniplug adapter rather than having someone like Darktrain make one for them, the CDINT female microdot terminated cable Horus posted a linked to above is far easier to solder than the super-fine center conductor in the DPA mic cable.  Cutting and re-terminating the DPA mic cables directly is a pretty finicky soldering job more commonly prone to premature failure, cutting and re-terminating the CDINT cable is not.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 05:12:26 AM »
You can purchase one of these cables (I purchased a 2 footer):

http://www.cdint.com/catalog/category/Cables/10-32+female/to+10-32+female/RG174

And have it sent to TS member darktrain (contact prior), who will cut it in half to make a y-cable with an 1/8" connector attached, which will insert to a Sound Professionals battery box.

^
Thank you for the link!
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline RobS

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 09:52:18 AM »
Thanks all. I opted to try the t.bone L-Pack/2xDAD6017.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 11:01:14 AM »
^ Are you sure that will work?  The way I read it, the DAD6017 is just an adapter (microdot to mini-XLR) for wireless systems and the t.bone L-pack is a P48 supply.  Maybe I am missing something, but, if I am not, it might fry the mics to do it this way.  Also, what comes out of the L-pack?  The website says it is balanced output; I don't think you can get balanced stereo output on a single 3-pin XLR.  That also jibes with the data sheet, which says, "Connect up to two suitable microphones to the microphone inputs. The signals from both inputs are mixed together in the device."

I would definitely place a call to Thomann and inquire about this...

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 11:17:03 AM »
Aaron is correct.  That device will sum the two microphones to a single balanced output.  For it to work for stereo recording you'd need two of them, with one mic (and mini-xlr adapter) plugged into each.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline RobS

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 02:07:58 PM »
In fact Thomann recommended the set-up, but I just emailed them about it with both your comments.

Thanks.

Offline RobS

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 02:32:02 PM »
This is the out cable Thomann recommended
https://www.thomann.de/de/cae_20035_kamerakabel.htm

One of the reviews:

Solidly built cable, we bought one as a band because we use a DI box and wanted to emulate how it would sound out of a set of speakers. Worked an absolute charm, easy to plug in and works in stero too, which means you get both L and R signals. Definitely worth it
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 02:37:03 PM by RobS »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 02:49:15 PM »
It is possible that the L-Pack output could be switched from the standard configuration with a balanced mono output consisting of the two microphone signals summed within the device, to an unbalanced stereo out with separate microphone signals.  The same 3-conductor XLR out can be used for either configuration.  However, that functionality is not apparent from the photos nor Thomann's very limited description of it.  Unfortunately there is no link to a user manual, and a google search turned up nothing.

The cable you linked would work.  The issue isn't the cable but if the L-pack can output an unbalanced stereo signal instead of a balanced mono signal.

That cable can transmit either two unbalanced signals (stereo), or one balanced signal (mono).  Either way there are three conductors.  In balanced mode the three are designated: shield, signal +, and signal -.  In unbalanced mode the three are designated: shared signal ground, channel 1 signal +, and channel 2 signal +.

Offline RobS

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 03:28:19 AM »
Thomann said

"So you could not make an Stereo recording when you have an only one 3,5 mm Mic Input Mono!. The Signal what will send from the L-Pack is only mono not stereo!"

I don't get it. How can I get a stereo recording from the two DPA 4060s into the Sony-M10?

Does the CDINT cable into the SP battery box way do that?

From Sound Professionals:

If you would prefer to use the adapters available from the manufacturer, you would need two of them with miniplugs and you would instead select a battery module that has two single inputs, like this:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-SPSB-8-MKII

So I'd need two Microdot to miniplug adapters...

Offline RobS

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 08:51:07 AM »
Would this set-up work?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/390976-REG/DPA_Microphones_DAD6034_DAD6034_MicroDot_to_Locking.html

The set-up would be

2 x DPA 4060 > 2 x DAD6034 adapter > SP-SPSB-8-MKII > Sony PCM-M10.

That would give me a stereo recording into the Sony PCM-M10, wouldn't it?

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 09:05:49 AM »
^ That looks like it would work, so long as you get the battery box with the two mono inputs.

I am curious why you aren't interested in the Y-cable option mentioned by audBall a few posts back.  The cost of the cable, plus the work, will likely be a lot less than even one of those DAD6034s and you'll be able to use it with a wide range of battery boxes (or pres) and the M10.   

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.117 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com