Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Couple of TOTAL NEWBIE Questions  (Read 2697 times)

Offline som

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Couple of TOTAL NEWBIE Questions
« on: November 09, 2007, 08:39:42 AM »
I confess up front that I haven't done much searching for this info, but hopefully a few kind souls will bring me up to speed....

Up until now I've pretty much just owned a TV, plugged a few things into it, and watched/listened the TV. Most of my "entertainment electronics" focus has been on two channel playback. I'm thinking of dipping my toe into a more modern approach to visual entertainment! So, let the stupid questions flow!

- Modern AV amps actually take multiple video inputs, right? And then outputs a single video output to the TV, based on the source selector on the AV amp? Kind of like an audio amp takes multiple inputs, and then outputs to the speakers, right? So no more messing with how to hook up a DVD, VCR, cable, etc......it all goes into one "box".

- If the above is correct, is there a front-runner cheap AV amp? By cheap I mean $200 or so. Recommendations appreciated!

- What can I do for 8mm playback? We have a bunch of 8mm family movies that we never watch because it's a hassle hooking up the camera to the TV (and the camera is dead since I dropped it anyway). I hope to ultimately convert these to DVD, but it sure would be nice to have a componenet that plays 8mm tapes.

That's enough for now. Information appreciated!

AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Jokell
Re: Couple of TOTAL NEWBIE Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 08:45:42 AM »
1) Yes
2) $200 is a bit low for what you're looking for and still get a decent receiver out of it.  You'd be happier if you could save up a bit more money and spring for a $400-$500 Yamaha, Pioneer, or Onkyo.  Personally I have a Onkyo 605 that I got for just under $500 - does HDMI upconverting and has TONS of inputs.
3) I think this is about all you can do: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/207303-REG/Sony_GVD200_GVD_200_Digital_8_Walkman.html
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline som

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 05:56:01 PM »
Thanks for the input....+T

I bought one of the Sony 8mm Walkmans on EBay. It will make a great Christmas present for my wife.....we can watch home movies again!

I also got a Dynex 37" LCD, and a Pioneer AV receiver. The Pioneer was on sale at Best Buy for $109, pretty low end. However, paired with my Ascend Acoustic CBM 170 speakers and HSU subwoofer, it will be light years beyond what I'm used to!
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 12:36:58 PM »
just fyi the 8mm you are taking about is called hi8 or digital 8 on a cassette
because there is 8mm videos on a real, talk about a pain hooking up :)

anyway what i was really going to suggest was converting everything to dvd
you can get some free programs (if you don't want anything fancy for menus and such) and convert them over pretty easy
with your new dig8 vcr you can hook the firewire right to your comp and transfer the video into the free program
then add some chapters if you like and burn
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com