Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Korg MR 1000 Users >>>>  (Read 6708 times)

Offline F0CKER

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Korg MR 1000 Users >>>>
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 09:44:56 AM »
Alright, made the debut run with the 1000 last night.  Have to say I'm impressed with it.  I like the metering, something I really didn't like on the R44.  I do wish they had a hold feature, or at least if the Stop button were accidentallly pushed, there was a confirmation button push needed to stop the recording.  I've not had a deckwithout a hold feature and it had me a little nervous. 

I gave a listen to the show last night and was very impressed with the sound.  I ran DSDIFF at 5.6 and thought it sounded great!  Lots of air / depth in the recording, very "clean" for lack of a better word.  Overall very happy with the purchase.  The show I recorded wasn't a rock n roll show, so I need to get out and push it a bit with some high pressure rock, but overall it was a good first run with the new toy.
Nevaton MC49 -> Sonosax SX-R4

Offline mdogbucket

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 04:12:57 AM »
Just something I've run into with my MR-1000...If I don't reformat the hard drive each time I record a show, even if there is plenty of room left on the hard drive from the last recording, it will usually have a disk error.  Not a big deal, I just always start with a fresh reformat.

For the record I am always recording DFF at 5.6 mhz.  Not sure if it would happen at lower resolutions though.

I also notice that if you use the XLR inputs with reasonably sensitive mics and you get much below 10 o'clock on the level dials, you are likely to be clipping the input of the ADC.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 04:15:42 AM by mdogbucket »

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 05:57:04 PM »
I've had my unit since 2008.  Once I read that DSD has a higher dynamic range than 24 bit I started using the highest setting.  Storage is cheap these days.  1TB for $100-ish.  I generally convert to 24@96 for EQ / editing, but I'm a linux junkie and I haven't gotten audiogate to run in that OS.

I did upgrade the firmware.  Scrubbing / whatever while fast forwarding is nice.  It do go windows on me when I was playing back an hour concert I recorded.  On the second time through, about halfway through it just sort of locked up.  Which has me concerned.  It was plugged into the wall socket and with batteries in the unit, so it most likely wasn't anything power related.  Otherwise no issues(yet).

I've reformatted the harddrive a couple of times, but I have never really had any disk errors to think of.  But I'm kind of non-typical in that I mount the drive under linux, copy the files to an NTFS partition (fuse / ntfs3g), then do the proper umount and power down steps on the recorder.  Then boot windows and let audiogate rip on the data.  Then boot linux again and edit.

Batteries, I just use radio shack specials NiMH 2100mAh.  They last about 2 and 1/2 hours with phantom power on.  The worst I've gotten is 1 hour 57 minutes with batteries I charged one week earlier and left in the recorder for a week.  The best on those batteries was 2 hours 59 minutes with a slight overcharge, the charger stops, you unplug / replug the charger one more time for a few more minutes of charge time.  Typically 2 hours 45 minutes-ish till self power down going that route on those batteries.  So I trust them for 2 hours, baring that one time I came up a little short.  I have some 2400mAh kodak NiMH batteries, but I haven't really given them a run for the money.  They don't seem to hold a charge if you store them for any length of time.  I just make sure that I charge my batteries within 24 hours of heading out the door.  Just to be safe.

My mics are Avenson STO-2's and they don't output as hot of a signal as other mics.  8:30am on the gain knob is the setting where someone could set off a nuke and it wouldn't clip with those mics.  I tend to favor large brass ensembles so I'm typically sitting at about 9am if I'm close.  10-11am if I'm far away.  At the moment my usage is little more than a glorified camcorder setup.  Although I do handle audio externally, until the final render.  I tried SM81's, but they were a little hot for the unit (8am).  And a bit too directional for a stereo image.

Ultimately I'd like to use MC 910's, or MKH 8020's.  I typically record outdoors so OMNI is a bit less problematic in those conditions.  I'd also like the try an external preamp since the korgs preamps do tend to be a little quirky with hot signals.  And a little light on the low end IMO.  But I wouldn't consider myself a typical user.

Offline MattH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 09:10:31 AM »
Just bought a MR1000, have some questions.

1.  Is there a way to decode mid/side with Audiogate when running as DSD?
2. Any recomendations for rechargeable internal AA batteries? 
3. Has anyone done comparisons going line in using XLR vs. TRS?
4. Is there a hold feature for the 1000?   I've not seen anything as part of a firmware update.
5. Any other details I should know as a new user?

Thanks in advance!

Regarding question number 3, I believe line in only works properly on the TRS connector. The XLR connector is for the mic preamp which adds too much gain to be used for line in. Someone please tell me I am wrong as I would much rather use XLR for line in.

Separately, I am expecting the new Mytek ADC 192 to play raw DFF files, but only one at a time without some sort of player. Audiogate is not currently set up to play DSD files without converting to pcm on the fly.
mics: Soundfield ST450, JW mod Milab VIP-50's, Milab VM-44 Links (Matched Cards, Matched S-Cards), BR mod Nak 700's
pre's: Audio Developments AD 066(11), V2, Littlebox, Tinybox, Reutelhuber
recorders: Sonosax SX-R4, Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Tascam DR-2, Mackie DL32R
playback: Teac UD-501 DAC > Meyer Sound

Offline landshark

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 09:11:38 AM »
Hi Focker -

Yep, line in is ONLY through the TRS in the multi jack.   
AKG 461's / 463's OR Senn MKH 8040's > MR1000 (Busman mod) or Shure FP24 (aka MixPre) > MR1 (open)
Coresounds Binaurals > CChurch 9100 > MR1 OR AKG CK1x/2x/3x > Deneke P20 > MR1 (low profile)

Offline jmz93

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 12:06:31 PM »
The Mytek DAC gives me hope that DSD won't be abandoned entirely by the industry.  Does anybody know if Korg are working on a 2nd-generation 1bit recorder?  I'd love an upgraded MR1 with lots of internal memory and no HD, and at least 4 hours on 2 2,700MA standard AA rechargeables. 

Does Jerry at Korg even read here these days?

I love the 1bit sound, but my R-09HR has been so rock solid for a couple years now, that it would take quite the solid contender to get me to switch.

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2010, 08:44:42 AM »
The Mytek DAC gives me hope that DSD won't be abandoned entirely by the industry.  Does anybody know if Korg are working on a 2nd-generation 1bit recorder?  I'd love an upgraded MR1 with lots of internal memory and no HD, and at least 4 hours on 2 2,700MA standard AA rechargeables. 

Does Jerry at Korg even read here these days?

I don't know if he reads here any more but I too would love an updated MR1, with flash memory.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 10:24:59 PM »
I've updated my rig.  Added 2x Sound Devices MM-1's to the kit.  For the Avenson STO-2's improved low end.  Better / lower noise floor.  I still desire MKH8020's for extended low end reach (and other specs).  But I'm semi happy with results so far.  Some questions though.

The limiters seem to kick in at a level that suggests 10am on the Korg gain via TRS inputs?  Any advantages / disadvantages from deviating from this setting?  The MM-1's are step gained, so I click until clipping.  Then click one back for rehearsals, two back for performances.  Seems to work well enough.  But the gain steps are so huge at that end of the spectrum.  I really like it over the onboard preamps.  Extra battery life is a bonus.

One other question.  Patch cables.  Apparently TRS is the way to go for external preamps.  GC only had Live Wire cables (made in china).  At least in the 1' category.  3' Mogami.  1' only on custom order.  Any concerns for Live Wire cables?  Given the length I wasn't too worried.  But the metal connectors look cheap and might be problematic (heat) in my region.

Beyond that any lunchbox or other mini-rack type options for us who have too many individual components to operate in more traditional modes?  Something to protect the cables / connectors, while allowing the swing of a lid to protect against rain / sprinklers?  With just the MR-1000 I figured I could poncho up and be good to go.  With MR-1000 plus friends I'm not so sure that's doable anymore.  Since it's hard to put everything on it's side as a single unit.  And other cooler in a crunch options.  Or maybe I'm just looking for a purse option that handles all of the units, not just the MR-1000.  Like what comes with the MR-1000.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com