Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: fave cdr  (Read 38628 times)

Offline 404 Not Found

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: fave cdr
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2013, 11:08:30 AM »
Had at one time purchased Fuji's by the case load when I had a contact who worked for BASF/Fuji in N. NJ.  My favorite was the ceramic white faced BASF's That I would also get from BASF/Fuji direct, but they discontinued them. I would use these specifically to transfer my DAT's back in the day, of which had been deteriorating quite fast.  The days of D.I.C. Dat's (1996-97) and the intro of the Panasonic SV250...nightmare products! 

Worst CDR's I ever had and dumped due to errors would be HHB Gold and Maxell's.   

The only time I use CD's today are for the car, as I do not have an Aux jack. I have been seeing quite a few new radios these days that offer the SD and USB jacks.  The new Fiat 500L has the SD reader and Aux jack as a standard feature.

Recorders: Alesis HD24XR | Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Mod) | Sound Devices 552 |Zoom F8 | Zoom H6
Pre-Amp/Mic Mixers/PS: Sound Devices 552 | Sound Devices MixPre-D | Shure FP33 | Audix APS911's | Audio Technica AT8501
Mics: Telefunken M60 FET MP/TK62's  | Miktek C5 MP's | Neumann  KM100/AK40's AK43's AK45's | Audix M1255B's | Audix M1280B's | Sennheiser K3-U/ME-20's 40's & 80's | Shure VP88
Stands-Poles: Manfrotto 3361 (8') | Manfrotto 1004BAC (13') | K-Tek KE79CC Traveler Boom Pole (1.8 - 6.7' )| K-Tek KEG150CCR Carbon fiber boom pole (12.6')

LMA: https://archive.org/bookmarks/Adam%20Axel

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 11:29:44 AM »
I buy Taiyo Yuden CDR and DVD-R from here - awesome prices on 100 packs.  Can't remember ever having a bad disc.  Look at "top sellers" on the right:
http://www.http://rima.com/

link fail

???

Fixed, thanks.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2016, 04:37:11 PM »
I buy Taiyo Yuden CDR and DVD-R from here - awesome prices on 100 packs.  Can't remember ever having a bad disc.  Look at "top sellers" on the right:
www.rima.com

Thanks for the Taiyo Yuden link!

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2016, 12:12:16 PM »
Thanks for the Rima link. 
ordered enough cdrs to keep me going till the end.  (of time, of me, of music as we know it. )
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2016, 11:40:15 AM »
You guys are still burning CDRs? For what purpose? Not trying to be a smart ass, I just don't see the purpose. The only thing I can think of would be for use in the car, but it seems a cheap FLAC player would be more cost and time effective. I moved over to HDs in 2009 and I felt I was a little late on that. I have a CDR archive in the basement I need to organize and search for rarities.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2016, 12:49:21 PM »
I still like cds for work and car playback, the two places I spend most of my time. Also all of my friends are technophobes so anything more advanced than a cd they have no clue.   
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2017, 09:27:09 AM »
Not sure why this was coming up as a recent unread topic but as with everything look to where things are manufactured. 

For CD's I always try to buy made in Taiwan though would prefer Japan.  Since I only make them for giveaway or car players I opt for inexpensive and conveniently bought. 

Just like hard drives, but there look for made in Thailand.  Those are getting harder and harder to find these days since the Chinese are taking production over... 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2020, 12:19:43 AM »
In case this interests or reassures anyone, I'll report the following.

In the 1970s I did a large amount of documentary sound recording onto Dolby B cassettes. In the 1990s I bought a second-generation Philips 2x SCSI-based external recorder, about the size of the main unit of a standard desktop computer, and started transferring those cassette recordings to digital. Blank CD-Rs at that time typically sold for around $25 apiece. In some cases I also made data CDs containing the .wav files, but it was quite time-consuming and expensive to make additional discs. Years later when DVD-R drives became available, I started copying the contents of those CDs to DVD-Rs. I used Plextor (SCSI-based) CD drives to extract bit-accurate .wav files from the audio discs. But I still kept all the CDs, since I was afraid of losing any recorded content.

For many years these discs sat on my shelves. In the past few days I've started transferring all this material to a portable SSD. I can report that the materials have held up VERY well. Very nearly all the old discs have been completely readable. I've made binary file comparisons between ALL the source CDs and the DVDs that I copied from them 20 years ago; absolutely all the data has verified 100%. I'm talking about 1000+ CDs and hundreds of DVDs--almost 2 TB of data so far.

Worst case, the Pioneer Blu-Ray drive that I'm using to read these discs has had to slow down occasionally to read some data (evidently retries are occurring at some low level). I've found that in most cases, if I carefully wipe the disc surface with a cloth, the same disc can then be read without the slowing down. Also, in such cases, before/after comparisons have shown that if a file on a data CD or DVD can be read successfully at all, the binary data that's received is the same, no matter how much extra work the drive had to go through in the process. (I always clear the PC's memory cache by putting a different disc into the drive in between the trials; the discs were definitely being re-read physically in these comparisons.)

In the intervening years I had made other, previous attempts to extract digital audio from some of the audio CDs, and had encountered read errors on a handful of them. These errors, however, mostly cleared up on later attempts when a different DVD or BD-R drive was used. The drive that you use really matters to a considerable extent, particularly with digital audio extraction.

The very few mishaps (maybe two so far) were recorded CD-Rs that appeared completely blank to the drive. But still, that's a separate case from bad data from a disc that could be read, which I still haven't seen.

--best regards

P.S.: During this project it occurred to me that I might wear out my BD-R drive, and I started looking around for a backup. The model that I have (Pioneer BDR-208D) is no longer made, and most of what I'm seeing on the market now is "slim-line" portable stuff that isn't as fast or solid. Probably that stuff is being made for people trapped in the Apple universe, where optical drives are now available only as external USB devices, and there's a premium on the drive being USB-powered.

I eventually found an updated Pioneer model that looks like a good potential replacement; I'll buy one just in case. A few Plextor drives still exist in the universe as well (which do a better job with CD-Rs and DVD-Rs than anything else I know of). But this is maybe something to think about--for those of us who have large collections of material on CD-Rs and DVD-Rs, what would you do if your current player crapped out? I'm concerned that in a few more years of this price- and volume-driven market, there may be nothing but slower, less reliable drives available for reading those discs.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 06:16:31 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2020, 01:00:25 AM »
Thanks!  I find this quite reassuring.  Time to go research available drives and pick up a just in case back up drive.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2020, 03:30:06 PM »
All of my data discs are long gone but 95+% of them were Fujis and held up just fine for their purpose as data backups. 

For audio, almost all have held up just fine but the ones that people spent a lot of money on were Mitsui's and I have seen more than a couple with what I would call "blisters".  You see the blister on the disc surface and touch it in wonder it pops into silver dust and you are left with a gaping hole in your disc that can never be repaired under any circumstance.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2020, 03:41:32 PM »
All of my data discs are long gone but 95+% of them were Fujis and held up just fine for their purpose as data backups. 

For audio, almost all have held up just fine but the ones that people spent a lot of money on were Mitsui's and I have seen more than a couple with what I would call "blisters".  You see the blister on the disc surface and touch it in wonder it pops into silver dust and you are left with a gaping hole in your disc that can never be repaired under any circumstance.

I haven't touched my CDRs in many years, but I did go digging last year looking for my Masters...

I didn't test all of them, but it seems that all of the ones on Made in Japan Fuji and Sony discs (branded Mitsui discs) are still doing just fine.  Anything on other brands seemed to be hit or miss...

I never used unbranded Mitsui discs since the foil tended to flake, pit, or peel off if you even looked at them the wrong way...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2020, 06:41:53 PM »

I never used unbranded Mitsui discs since the foil tended to flake, pit, or peel off if you even looked at them the wrong way...

Terry

I didn't even know Mitsui made undranded CD-Rs.  All of my failed Mitsui's were branded.
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2020, 08:02:00 PM »

Terry

I didn't even know Mitsui made undranded CD-Rs.  All of my failed Mitsui's were branded.

You could buy them bulk.  They didn't have any labeling and only had a plain silver face.  Here is the current version, though I think they are all made in China now...

https://www.mediasupply.com/cd-r-media-mam-a-silver-thermal.html

I occasionally got them via trade.  Sometimes someone would stick a post-it note right on the silver, and when you peeled it off, the silver came with it... 

I always just bought the Fuji and Sony discs at Best Buy or where ever I could find them Made in Japan...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2020, 11:14:37 PM »
JFTR the ones I used, that turned out to be so reliable over all these years, were mainly branded as TDK and Kodak. The dye on the TDK discs was deep green, gold for the Kodak.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2020, 03:45:59 AM »
JFTR the ones I used, that turned out to be so reliable over all these years, were mainly branded as TDK and Kodak. The dye on the TDK discs was deep green, gold for the Kodak.

I think I cried a little the day they stopped making those Kodak Golds.  That was early in the CDR game.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.217 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com