Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CJB3 AA Battery Option  (Read 3069 times)

Offline Oysterhead00

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
    • My Ugly Page In Need Of A Huge Makeover
CJB3 AA Battery Option
« on: July 18, 2006, 09:22:12 PM »
I know there are a ton of CJB3 power threads, but I thought that this unique one would be a good seperate topic.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&item=220003297599&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

I purchased one of these off eBay for US $26 with shipping and while it's a little steep for something so cheap, it's worth it as it's the first AA battery option for the CJB3 that actually works.  While plugging in AA batteries is an expensive proposition, being a weekend long festival with no ready power option to recharge your CJB3 batteries or Lion external pack these could be a life saver.

Not sure about the power time listed on the site.  I plugged in 4 AA rechargables that were partially drained (sitting in my digital camera for a few weeks unused) and it ran between 8 and 10 hours (was still going at 8, was off at 10) on play.  I've used it in the field, but changed batteries after a couple sets and probably never got close to running them all the way down.  There is no light on there to show battery strenght (a cheapo RatShack battery test to use between sets or something could be a good investment) and the only switch is ON and OFF.  Comes with some velcro strips that you could use to mount to bottom of your CJB.  Stays close pretty well, but there's a screw to keep is tightly secured that would be a pain in the @$$ in the field so I just throw a doubled up rubber band around it.

I have some fancy rechargables that I love, but for some weekend fests I think this is a great idea and thought I'd pass it on in it's own thread that shows the AA option.  With the gear bags most people carry around throwing one of these in and a brick of AA batteries from Target or something wouldn't hurt and could be a lifesaver for you (or a fellow taper) in the field.
Big Rig:  SMK-H8K/U or MSH-1O > PS-2 > AD-20 > CJB3
Sm Rig:  SS DSM-6S (or SP-CMC-12 > SPBM-2)  > MD-MT77
ISO: Cheap iRiver 120 or 140 :)

Offline T-90

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ya aint gotta do what ya aint gotta do
Re: CJB3 AA Battery Option
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 09:40:37 PM »
those are like 3 bucks at radio shack....
"I dont sing...I dont dance...and I dont like to be around anyone who does" D.Letterman
DPA 4023, AT4051a, AT4053a
Countryman B3, AT853(4.7k,c,sc,h)
V3, FP24, Bm2p+ UA5, ST9100
OCM Edirol R-44, Sony PCM-M10

Offline Oysterhead00

• Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 09:46:43 PM »
those are like 3 bucks at radio shack....

Yes they are, and they are for the PSP that also runs at 5V (and I think it said Sony digital cameras as well if I remember correctly).  HOWEVER, the plug is too small and doesn't power the CJB3....I tried it.  It's the correct width and stuff, but it's a bit too short so I don't think it makes the connection to supply the power.  Fits snug, but doesn't work.  Even returned it and got another one and it didn't work.  Maybe your Radioshack has diffent ones (and then I'd feel stupid for importing it for so much), but I tried it and one from Media Play/Suncoast Video that was to power all devices 5v, 6v and 7.2v and it didn't work either.  They all claim to be "universal" for 5V inputs, but they sure didn't work on my CJB3.

Offline T-90

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 10:13:08 PM »
i use mine for the jb3....you just have to use 1.2 volt rechargables and slightly discharge them until they actually output 5 volts...when fully charged they are closer to 5.3 volts and the jb3 doesnt like that.....ive used this pack many times with an extended cable and adaptaplug B from the shack....there are several threads on this topic
"I dont sing...I dont dance...and I dont like to be around anyone who does" D.Letterman

Offline cd2go

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Strictly Slambovian
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 10:27:33 PM »
Looks like a great power option--are you guys running into any lock-up issues when the external pack runs low on juice?  And are you running with or without the internal batteries in place?. Thanks for the link  8)

Offline T-90

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 11:27:05 PM »
Looks like a great power option--are you guys running into any lock-up issues when the external pack runs low on juice?  And are you running with or without the internal batteries in place?. Thanks for the link  8)

yes..when the AA's run low it will lock up, so you must test and then give yourself plenty of slack....i get 3 hrs safely and can push 3.5 hrs....just have the internal charged and in and after about 3 hrs pull the plug and then ride on the internal for another 2-3 hrs which will shut down nicely when too low :)

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 03:28:44 AM »
i use mine for the jb3....you just have to use 1.2 volt rechargables and slightly discharge them until they actually output 5 volts...when fully charged they are closer to 5.3 volts and the jb3 doesnt like that.....ive used this pack many times with an extended cable and adaptaplug B from the shack....there are several threads on this topic

I've used my home-made version of this.  I noticed problems (lockups, I think) if the voltage was too high.  Hmm.  Perhaps a 5V zener diode (in series with a resistor) would drain the batteries to exactly 5V.  I'll have to try this again.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline T-90

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 10:46:15 PM »

I've used my home-made version of this.  I noticed problems (lockups, I think) if the voltage was too high.  Hmm.  Perhaps a 5V zener diode (in series with a resistor) would drain the batteries to exactly 5V.  I'll have to try this again.

Richard

you should do that....id like to learn to mod my boxes.....ive got 3 wired together for festies and its a pain sometimes to get it right.....i have an assload of aa rechargeables so i like this method and dont want to buy more external batts for the jb3 but this method is not 100%

Offline Oysterhead00

• Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 01:34:40 PM »
I don't understand all the technobabble going back and forth, but I just got my replacement CJB3 for the one I destroyed and I hooked it up to the power supply with 4 brand new regular Duracell AA batteries and it powered it for 10+ hours no problem.  Turned it on after dinner and it was still going when I got up at 5:30am.  I didn't have to drain anything or do anything special.  I tested the batteries with the cheapo Duracell blister pack tester and they are still in the yellow area so they probably have a few more hours of use (though I seriously doubt the 25+ hours from the auction description).

Am I doing anything that could potentially harm the CJB3 by doing this?  I know if I run it until the batteries are too drained and it locks up that could be a problem, but I don't see how this is any different than the Lion battery I have that powers 5, 6, and 7.2v devices.  If anything, I would think that could cause problems being able to out put higher voltages.

Here's the Lion battery I use that I love...it has a green, yellow and red testing light right on it to gauge remaining juice and has a built in flashlight that is very handy in the field.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=49230&item=190000212404

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com