Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 18000mah Universal battery  (Read 40481 times)

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • it's recreational
Re: 18000mah Universal battery
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2012, 08:45:31 PM »
1)  There is no power button, so the battery can't be switched off accidentally.  The left button doesn't turn the battery on and off, in spite of the fact that the button has that power symbol ebossed on it.  The left button has two functions...first, hold it down for three seconds to switch on the display so that you can see what the voltage setting is.  Second once the display is switched on, you hold down the right button for 3 seconds to cause the voltage setting to start flashing.  Once it's flashing, press the right hand button repeatedly to toggle through the various voltages.  At the voltage you want, press the left hand button for three seconds to set the new voltage.

My experience is slightly different.  The usb output is always active.  But to use the other output the battery must be on.  If I turn it off my 680 turns off, and it won't turn on unless the battery is on.  So, yeah, I think it is a power button.  My wish is that it would be possible to turn the light off since it seems like a slight waste to keep it on the whole time.

Also I'm able to charge my phone via the usb port and power the 680 at the same time so they're both active.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 08:48:15 PM by drewloo »

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2012, 08:53:21 PM »
1)  There is no power button, so the battery can't be switched off accidentally.  The left button doesn't turn the battery on and off, in spite of the fact that the button has that power symbol ebossed on it.  The left button has two functions...first, hold it down for three seconds to switch on the display so that you can see what the voltage setting is.  Second once the display is switched on, you hold down the right button for 3 seconds to cause the voltage setting to start flashing.  Once it's flashing, press the right hand button repeatedly to toggle through the various voltages.  At the voltage you want, press the left hand button for three seconds to set the new voltage.

My experience is slightly different.  The usb output is always active.  But to use the other output the battery must be on.  If I turn it off my 680 turns off, and it won't turn on unless the battery is on.  So, yeah, I think it is a power button.  My wish is that it would be possible to turn the light off since it seems like a slight waste to keep it on the whole time.

Hey, you're right!  Sorry for the earlier misstatement (edited).  I didn't even realize that since I've always used the battery from the USB.  I just assumed that the other connection worked the same way.  Didn't even think that it wouldn't have, but since reading your response I verfied that my battery works the same way as yours.

Again, sorry for the misunderstanding...learn something new every day!

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2012, 08:54:59 PM »
Can someone order one for me, and I'll pay you in a week or two ??? Im broke til the 12th :'( Bought too much gear 8) But if yinz think they will still be available then, then nevermind ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

stevetoney

« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2012, 08:59:30 PM »
Can someone order one for me, and I'll pay you in a week or two ??? Im broke til the 12th :'( Bought too much gear 8) But if yinz think they will still be available then, then nevermind ;D

Bean there have been two 'standing' ebay listings for this battery for months now...see whenever John Bell initially posted about this battery.  Although I do think there are more ts people buying them up I'm pretty sure they'll still be available by the middle of the month.

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • it's recreational
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2012, 09:04:46 PM »
...learn something new every day!

When you live on the cusp of technology as we tapers often do it kinda goes with the territory.  ;)    I'm just glad you picked one up at the airport when you did.  Thanks to Nigel for his input, too.

stevetoney

« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2012, 09:29:13 PM »
...learn something new every day!

When you live on the cusp of technology as we tapers often do it kinda goes with the territory.  ;)    I'm just glad you picked one up at the airport when you did.  Thanks to Nigel for his input, too.

LOL...well I paid $149 before tax for the Naztech branded version at the airport, so right now I'm wishing I'd have paid the $57 or so that these are selling for, but it's OK that's how it happens sometimes. 

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2012, 09:59:03 PM »

Bean there have been two 'standing' ebay listings for this battery for months now...see whenever John Bell initially posted about this battery.  Although I do think there are more ts people buying them up I'm pretty sure they'll still be available by the middle of the month.

Sweet. I have a nice stock of Energizer 9v batts anyway ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Nigel Tufnel

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2012, 06:09:37 AM »
LOL...well I paid $149 before tax for the Naztech branded version at the airport, so right now I'm wishing I'd have paid the $57 or so that these are selling for, but it's OK that's how it happens sometimes.

I hear you. I paid around $100 for the Naztech from Amazon.com. I thought I got an OK deal at the time. I was reluctant to pull the trigger earlier, but the "knock off" version has earned a spot in my bag without a doubt.

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2012, 06:09:58 PM »
Is overcharging an issue with this battery? I think I read something about overcharging being really bad for lithium polymers... Forgive me a silly question, I don't know too much about the different types of rechargeable batteries.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2012, 06:20:08 PM »
I just got mine today. You guys didn't say how cool the box is, with the magnetic closing lid... This thing is awesome. It's got a ton of different tips and the stock cable is perfect for the DR-680.

I'm going to charge it up and test it over the weekend. This is a great battery for <$60!

Thanks for he heads up.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2012, 06:43:27 PM »
I ordered one as well!!  A good replacement for my DVD batteries.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • it's recreational
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2012, 06:44:37 PM »
Is overcharging an issue with this battery? I think I read something about overcharging being really bad for lithium polymers... Forgive me a silly question, I don't know too much about the different types of rechargeable batteries.

No, it'll stop charging when it's full.

Offline coloartist

• Trade Count: (13)
  • MGoldey -"you can shove those mics up your ass
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2012, 08:52:35 PM »
I ordered one too.  8)
mk4>Kwon/din a/din>kc5>cmc6>kindkables XLR>788T
mk22>Kwon/NOS>kc5>cmc6>kindkablesXLR>788t                                                     
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       
Samsung Backlit LED 55">Pioneer Elite SC-27>Snell Acoustics E.5  Series

stevetoney

« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2012, 10:17:23 PM »
what I have gathered from this thread.

1.) the DC female output on the unit is a "N" 5.5mm X 2.5mm
2.) The stock cable terminates in a "M" 5.5mm x 2.1mm

Ted and others.  This is a bit off.  I double checked the stock cable and its got the same connectors on both ends.  These are not M connectors because I confirmed that a male M connector will not fit into the female jack on the battery.  And earlier in this thread it was confirmed that the battery end of the cable has an N connector, so that means both ends of the cable have an N.

What I think must be going on is that since the hole in the N connector is slightly larger, the male N connector can work in a female M jack, but not vice versa.

That said, the tips that are included with the standard batch of tips includes an M tip, so nobody should have any problem with the stock cable and your dr680, which apparentnly uses an M.

Sounds to me based on what's being reported that 680 owners have the option of using either the stock cable with the n connector or adding the M tip onto the end of the stock cable.
 t
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 10:30:57 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2012, 08:19:24 AM »
Hmmm... On my battery, only one end of the stock cable will fit in the DC out jack. I tried it multiple times. The other end does indeed work with the DR-680. This may be one of the best investments I've made in a while. This battery is really slick.

I also noticed that if I hold the power button in for 3+ seconds when it's connected to the DR-680 the battery will shut down and power to the DR-680 is cut. I always run my 680 with internal batteries installed, so that's not a huge issue for me.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.116 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com