Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How does one pair of mics become out of phase with another pair on same recorder  (Read 3998 times)

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
I ran AKG hypers (Nbob PFA's) + DPA4023's into a Zoom F8 last night.  It wasn't my deck, so I'm not familiar with it much at all.

Both sources sound good on their own but when i went to matrix them, i noticed that one set was inverted from the other.  not sure which was normal and which wasn't.  it was an easy fix in audacity, but how does that happen?

any ideas?

Pic:  DPA on top, AKG on bottom
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 10:25:21 PM by justink »
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Recent discussion on same topic:
https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=186061

DSatz said:
"Microphone manufacturers are free to ground either side of their capsules, and to apply a positive or a negative charge, as long as in the end, the output of their amplifier has the correct signal polarity."
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star

DSatz said:
"Microphone manufacturers are free to ground either side of their capsules, and to apply a positive or a negative charge, as long as in the end, the output of their amplifier has the correct signal polarity."

that makes the most sense.  i'm assuming, since DSatz also had the issue with Nbob cables, it's possible that Nick solders the connections differently.

not a big deal at all if you're only using one set of mics, and it's easily fixable in post to do a matrix.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
The F8 has the ability to change phase of specific channels, so it's possible that's the culprit.  Since it's not your deck maybe it was already set with phase inverted on some channels for whatever reason.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
The F8 has the ability to change phase of specific channels, so it's possible that's the culprit.  Since it's not your deck maybe it was already set with phase inverted on some channels for whatever reason.

i didn't know that.  good info!
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
Phase doesn't equal polarity.  What you are doing is flipping polarity, not changing phase.

Just like a 4-mic mix is not a matrix. It is a 4-mic mix.

A matrix involves a SBD feed, and AUD feed.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list

DSatz said:

that makes the most sense.  i'm assuming, since DSatz also had the issue with Nbob cables, it's possible that Nick solders the connections differently.

not a big deal at all if you're only using one set of mics, and it's easily fixable in post to do a matrix.

Dsatz didn't have the issue he just chimed in on my thread.  We came to conclusion that JBell's pfa were wired incorrectly thus the issue.   You should be able to easily replicate it at home if it is fact the cables or pfa's.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
After further investigating my PFA wasn't wired incorrectly!!  Schoeps KCY PFA's which is what I was using are wired noninverting to yield positive polarity with schoeps caps.  Using it with Microtech Gefell M20 caps and a Nbob KCY for Gefell's it was a negative polarity so I had the PFA changed to inverting to fix the problem.  I have a backup pfa that I need to test to prove this, but after looking at old recordings when I ran schoeps I'm almost positive this was the problem.  My M20 caps must be grounded different than schoeps caps I previously ran. 

Justin my hunch is your akg's have the same issue.   

DSatz said:

Dsatz didn't have the issue he just chimed in on my thread.  We came to conclusion that JBell's pfa were wired incorrectly thus the issue.   You should be able to easily replicate it at home if it is fact the cables or pfa's.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 04:13:25 PM by jbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
After further investigating my PFA wasn't wired incorrectly!!  Schoeps KCY PFA's which is what I was using are wired noninverting to yield positive polarity with schoeps caps.  Using it with Microtech Gefell M20 caps and a Nbob KCY for Gefell's it was a negative polarity so I had the PFA changed to inverting to fix the problem.  I have a backup pfa that I need to test to prove this, but after looking at old recordings when I ran schoeps I'm almost positive this was the problem.  My M20 caps must be grounded different than schoeps caps I previously ran. 

DSatz said:

so, to clarify... it's possible that the PFA's are wired opposite to the AKG caps? 

because I guess that makes sense.  i'm not very knowledgeable on the subject (why i created the thread).  That said, i guess there isn't really anything "wrong".  it's just a matter of making sure the polarity is playing well with another set of mics when making a mix.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
You generally want positive polarity, but it is easy to fix that in the post.  I went ahead and had my PFA's fixed so I don't have to worry about flipping it in post production. 

DSatz said:

so, to clarify... it's possible that the PFA's are wired opposite to the AKG caps? 

because I guess that makes sense.  i'm not very knowledgeable on the subject (why i created the thread).  That said, i guess there isn't really anything "wrong".  it's just a matter of making sure the polarity is playing well with another set of mics when making a mix.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com