Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Where the hell can i buy a xlr (m)>xlr (m) cable?  (Read 4973 times)

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
Where the hell can i buy a xlr (m)>xlr (m) cable?
« on: April 29, 2004, 09:07:11 PM »
The shorter the better!  Plus, i need this cable asap, thanks!

:)

ps.  i tried bhphoto and they didnt have any listed.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re:Where the hell can i buy a xlr (m)>xlr (m) cable?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 09:10:50 PM »
shoot JasonB a PM, he can make you some....better quality and price than you will get elsewhere.

Offline George

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 09:13:52 PM »
shoot JasonB a PM, he can make you some....better quality and price than you will get elsewhere.

ok, thanks mate!  

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline George

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 09:18:55 PM »

hey, i tried sending a pm, no luck, message says he's not a member   :(

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider

Offline George

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2004, 09:35:57 PM »
sorry it is Jason B , see below thread

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=16796;start=0

thanks!  sent the man a pm.  I got another question, where can i find those xlr power adapters (full sized xlr male to mini xlr), the ones that came with my at's are crap and driving me nuts that they are too tight of a fit.  

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2004, 04:46:28 AM »
sorry it is Jason B , see below thread

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=16796;start=0

thanks!  sent the man a pm.  I got another question, where can i find those xlr power adapters (full sized xlr male to mini xlr), the ones that came with my at's are crap and driving me nuts that they are too tight of a fit.  

what's the make and model on the one's you have now?  Are they the one's SP gave you?

Offline mhibbs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2004, 02:26:49 PM »
out of curiosity, what do you need a M>M xlr for?  generally the M end is the output end of the path, and it's fairly standard which is why it's hard to buy a M>M xlr...there's typically not a use for them.
Oade preamp museum curator

Offline George

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2004, 08:29:40 PM »
out of curiosity, what do you need a M>M xlr for?  generally the M end is the output end of the path, and it's fairly standard which is why it's hard to buy a M>M xlr...there's typically not a use for them.

I'd like to run a ad20 and mv100, my understand is that i gotta plug the mv 100 and ad20 via the xlr inputs and run the mics with xlr>rca adapters to the rca outs on the mv100...i get the feeling i got it all wrong though.  How the hell can i use a mv100, and/or ad20, ps2.  I'm a bit confused about how the chain rig should work for my Nomad jb3 and what cables i need to make sure i have this rig setup correctly.  The reason why i want the mv100 is for the gain and low freq cut for those boomy rock shows.

schwill ,  

Yeah, its those samson phantom adapters.  Odd thing is they for perfectly with the mv100, but with the PS-2 and AD20 it just doesnt fit, way too tight of a fit.  That's why i'm wondering if i can buy adapters from another company, kinda sucks if i can't put either device to use since i'd really like to use my nomad.  

Any help is appreciated!

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2004, 07:35:25 PM »
???

I'm a little confused, could you post the lineage of exactly what you want to run?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2004, 09:27:55 PM »
yah i cant even think of what situation you would use a male to male for.

first off, dont get why if you have an mv100 you would want a ps2.  you've got phantom power with  your mv100

if your rig is mics > mv100 > ad20 then you need the following cables

mic cable that terminates in a male cable > mv 100 > xlr female - xlr male > ad-20

i dont know that the ad-20 lets you feed your signal at line level though- i thought it was only mic level.  maybe there are some jumpers i dont know about- ive never run one.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2004, 04:27:41 PM »
You'll likely have a problem with mics> MV100> AD20.  The MV100 is a minimum of 20db gain, the AD20 is a minimum of 17db gain.  So a total of 37db gain.  I usually run my V3 at 25db gain, with ~5db of trim added--total of 30db gain.  There might be some shows where you can get away with the minimum of 37db gain with the MV100>AD20 combo, but for the most part the rig will have too much gain.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2004, 03:18:20 AM »
gloco,
just run mics > ps2 > ad20 > jb3.   the mv100 is not necessary.
if you're running xlr(m) to xlr(m) you're going to be using the wrong connections, in thru the out or vice versa....
don't make it confusing...
mics > ps2 (phantom power) > ad20 (gain and a/d) > jb3.
so simple it hurts.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline George

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2004, 06:28:10 PM »
lol, thanks for the clarification guys, i wound up buying a ps2 and a ad20 mostly for testing purposes and using two rigs.  

The problem i've been having with the ps2 and ad20 is that the samson adapters i rec'd from soundprofessionals simply do not fit into either unit.  If i do get them to fit, it is absolute hell to remove them.  The adapters fit perfectly into the mv100.,,.so i'm at a loss with why the adapters are so stinkin tight with those two units (ps2 and ad20).  

Second, my PS-2 terminates into a miniplug, i assume there's an adapter out there to correct this?  Funny thing is, i just had the darn thing converted from xlr to miniplug because the xlr cables on the unit were cumbersome (thinking i might stealth with this unit).  

jp: mic cable that terminates in a male cable > mv 100 > xlr female - xlr male > ad-20

This rig lineage doesn't make sense because i run my mics via xlr male cables to the mv 100 xlr ins, there are no xlr ports left, minus rca outs and a line out.  I'm assuming i would plug my ad20 via opt out to my nomad.

This is all for stealthing, so the fewer amount of boxes, the better.  I'm assuming using just the mv100 i can still get favorable results in a stealth situation.

Todd R, thanks for the tip regarding mixing my mv100+ad20, i'll make sure not to keep them in the same rig.  The MV100 will stick with my dat and the ps-2 and ad20 will be for my nomad when i tape any open taping acts (such as dmb this summer).  Feel free to reply back and +T's to all of you   :D

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com