Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz PMD 671 in the field Part 3...  (Read 90602 times)

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
Re: Marantz PMD 671 in the field Part 3...
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2006, 04:11:01 PM »
4 GB at 24/96 is 4 hours, that is the time i get with the tascam.

24/96 is 2 gigs per hour.
8 gig card = 4 hours
4 gig card = 2 hours

and obviously, double your times for 24/48

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2006, 03:39:36 PM »
If anyone is running dig-in to this unit, I've noticed my Hosa cables don't fit the input all that well, they're pretty loose.  I thought it might be just one of the cables, but I tried both of them/both ends, the connector on the Hosa fits very loose.  I was transferring a show tascam>671 and I noticed some drop outs in the master. I ended up being the cable connection, if I even moved it very slightly it'd loose signal, it just doesn't fit tightly at all.  I'm just posting because I don't want someone to trash a nice recording in the field, it might be common sense but if you're recording through the s/pdif make sure your cable fits nice-n-snug.

My cheapo rat-shack cable fits tight and another with canare connectors, I don't think it's the unit, I thing it's Hosa's cheapo connector.
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2006, 07:50:17 PM »
How long will a 671 run on a 9v Walmart NiMh battery?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline RDunn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2006, 05:09:22 PM »
I was just loaned a SanDisk Ultra 8 gb card to try in my 671.  I'll report back the results after testing.

Robbie
Schoeps MK4 > KC5 > CMC6 > Sound Devices 744T

spreadheadtom

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2006, 05:10:46 PM »
I was just loaned a SanDisk Ultra 8 gb card to try in my 671.  I'll report back the results after testing.

Robbie

I'm thinking Lee tried the exact card and could only get it to read as a 4GB...hopefully you get different results

Tommy

edit:  I've had my unit for 2 weeks now and have yet to run it in the field  :'(

Offline Chuck

« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2006, 05:13:46 PM »

Robbie

Please do.
If it doesn't work, we need to talk to Marantz, since SanDisk is one of the recommended CF card brands to use.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline RDunn

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2006, 05:33:49 PM »

Robbie

Please do.
If it doesn't work, we need to talk to Marantz, since SanDisk is one of the recommended CF card brands to use.

Just did a quick test and the SanDisk Ultra 8 gb card seems to record fine..... BUT it only shows as having the same amount of space as a 4 gb card.  Hopefully a firmware upgrade will address that..... otherwise a lot of folks will be opting for the Tascam instead.

RD
Schoeps MK4 > KC5 > CMC6 > Sound Devices 744T

Offline TenoRichards

• Taperssection Regular
  • Resident Taper/Audiophile Wannabe
    • Tenor
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2006, 05:34:51 PM »
Anyone gotten an error message while trying to transfer a file from the 671 via usb2.0 from a San Disk card, stating: Sector error (or something like that) There is an error on the card and Windows cannot read it.

Don't have it here w/ me, but I got a wierd ass error message and the file I was trying to transfer was BETWEEN files that DID transfer (1001, 1002 and 1004 had no probs....1003 is the stickler) Can't for the life of me figure out why this one file won't come off the machine.

p.s. I get well over 6 hours off the Wall mart dvd battery running both my mic2496 and pmd for whoever was asking. Someday I'll have free time to get mine acm'd by Doug...whimper....sniff....but I can't live without it for a month.
dpa 4060's>BBox>acm modded pmd671 or Edirol r-09
www.tenorrichards.com

« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2006, 05:48:05 PM »
Just did a quick test and the SanDisk Ultra 8 gb card seems to record fine..... BUT it only shows as having the same amount of space as a 4 gb card.  Hopefully a firmware upgrade will address that..... otherwise a lot of folks will be opting for the Tascam instead.

RD

Is the HD-P2 compatable and recognize the ScanDisk Ultra 8 gb?  I'm not sure that'd push me towards the Tascam, it's still 4hrs on a 4GB card @ 24/48 on the 671.  The other things such as A/D and build quality mean much more in my opinion, not too mention the possible modifications.  From my understanding is the Tascam unit would need a whole lot more work to upgrade the mic pre. 

If someone was just looking for a bit-bucket that might come into play.
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

Offline jmerin

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2006, 06:16:09 PM »
if the 671 doesn't take the 8 gb card then you will be limited,  someone should address that issue with them,
Mics: Schoeps MK4's | Schoeps MK41's | Schoeps Mk21's
Pre-Amps: Schoeps VMS02ib | Nbox Platinum KCY
Cables: KCY 250/5 Ig (2)
Recorders: Sony M10  | Tascam 70D l Edirol R-44

Offline jmerin

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2006, 06:17:16 PM »
the Tascam HD-P2 takes the 8gb card
Mics: Schoeps MK4's | Schoeps MK41's | Schoeps Mk21's
Pre-Amps: Schoeps VMS02ib | Nbox Platinum KCY
Cables: KCY 250/5 Ig (2)
Recorders: Sony M10  | Tascam 70D l Edirol R-44

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2006, 07:44:49 PM »

that is an expensive bit bucket.

can you update the pmd671 firmware..? that should do the trick...

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2006, 07:48:46 PM »

that is an expensive bit bucket.

can you update the pmd671 firmware..? that should do the trick...

I believe for firmware updates it requires sending the unit back to Marantz, they really dropped the ball on that one.  As far as I can tell you can't update via the CF or USB, weak.

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2006, 07:57:23 PM »

I believe for firmware updates it requires sending the unit back to Marantz, they really dropped the ball on that one.  As far as I can tell you can't update via the CF or USB, weak.

oooh - that is not good (and i was almost sold on one)...

this cf issue is a roblem wih everything - cameras, pda's, etc.  and the firmware is the fix. see not all manufacturers follow the specs to the letter. my guess is sandisk did, but marantz did not - that somehow reading an 8gig cf card is different than a 4gig to the machine, maybe the info is stored differently - like somehow doubling the same physical 4gig card, but via some memory writing scemata, it doubles to 8gigs of useable space. but the firmware should tell the machine how to read the material, and updating firmware via usb is a snap - that is how the psp does it. marantz better deal with this, because sending a unit in to have them fix something like this is ridiculous. what happens when the 50gig cards come out, and are dirt cheap? do we have to send it back to marantz again..? (i am making the 50gig card up, but my pont is there HAS o be user upgradeable firmware because the very medium you use in the machine is changing/developing - there is no one set of rules that is finite, because new things get added to the spec all the time)...

bummer.
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline Chuck

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2006, 08:17:30 PM »
Anyone gotten an error message while trying to transfer a file from the 671 via usb2.0 from a San Disk card, stating: Sector error (or something like that) There is an error on the card and Windows cannot read it.

Don't have it here w/ me, but I got a wierd ass error message and the file I was trying to transfer was BETWEEN files that DID transfer (1001, 1002 and 1004 had no probs....1003 is the stickler) Can't for the life of me figure out why this one file won't come off the machine.

p.s. I get well over 6 hours off the Wall mart dvd battery running both my mic2496 and pmd for whoever was asking. Someday I'll have free time to get mine acm'd by Doug...whimper....sniff....but I can't live without it for a month.

FWIW, I never transfer using the machine. I bought a cheap USB card reader and always use that and have had no problems transfering the files to my computer. There have been reports of problems using the 671 to do the transfers.

I'll e-mail Doug about the 4 GB limit. Let's see what he says...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.192 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com