Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Hello! and PCM-D50 case solution...  (Read 4271 times)

Offline BruPri

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Hello! and PCM-D50 case solution...
« on: December 19, 2007, 12:03:22 AM »
Well, I've seen this board for a while and finally registered and this is my very first post. Riveting so far eh?
I understand the case for this unit is available only in Japan and I needed something a bit more rugged...so I went to my local sporting goods store that carries Pelican cases, found this model on sale for about $16.00, added a bit of padding and voila! *ya gotta use epoxy on the rubber peel and stick feet and padding as nothin' sticks to the silicone rubber lining. But it's pretty much bullet proof, at least weather proof! ;D

Offline BruPri

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Hello! and PCM-D50 case solution...
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 08:48:25 PM »
Ok, I'll bite, as the 124th person to view at this post, I want to be the first to welcome myself to the forums here! What's that? Oh, I see you have a Sony PCM-D50, how do you like it? I also noticed you are selling your Edirol R-09 down at the "Yardsale" really? Huh, no responses for that either. Hmmmm. Is this thing on? Testing...1, 2  ;D

J.T.L

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 09:35:55 PM »
Welcome! ;D

Offline Outrageous

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 09:45:16 PM »
I see you have a Sony PCM-D50, how do you like it?

Greetings.  I'd be happy to hear what you have to say about your new machine.  Mine was delivered today and is waiting under the Christmas tree.  You may also want to post on the other thread on the D50.

Offline BruPri

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 10:20:18 PM »
Welcome! ;D
There you go!
Thanks J.T.L.

Offline BruPri

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 10:32:48 PM »
I see you have a Sony PCM-D50, how do you like it?

Greetings.  I'd be happy to hear what you have to say about your new machine.  Mine was delivered today and is waiting under the Christmas tree.  You may also want to post on the other thread on the D50.
I'll have to figure out how to reply to a message without quoting them...
Gotta say, I don't do any steath, just field recording and live mixes off the FOH board, which come out very good, (I have an in with the FOH engineer...It's me) but I have a Sony ECM-MS957 that was bettered by the R-09 internal mics but with the D50, I find that the 957 betters the internals on the D50, and they stand fine on their own. Must be genetic!
Thanks for the welcome Outrageous!
or maybe- Thanks for the Outrageous welcome! (yes.., that's the one.)

Offline Outrageous

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 12:21:15 AM »
I have a Sony ECM-MS957 that was bettered by the R-09 internal mics but with the D50, I find that the 957 betters the internals on the D50, and they stand fine on their own.

That ranking of mics is the reverse order from what I expected.  The specs for the self-noise of the ECM-MS957 list it as higher than the mics on the D50.  Do you find this to be the case with your examples?  I had considered the 957 as a mic to use with this recorder but I have been scared off by mediocre reviews.

Offline BruPri

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 12:59:41 AM »
Mr. Ageous, you piqued my curiosity and I just monitored both mics through some 7506 headphones. At first listen, the built in mics are sensative, detailed and well...useable. Then I plugged in the 957, the D50 menu automatically prompts you to choose plug 'n power, yes or no. I chose no as the 957 has a battery. What I hear is no more noise than the built in mics which in comparison to the handheld come off rather strident and etched, detailed to a fault, like they're jumping up and down saying "HEY YOU, LISTEN TO ME!" The 957 on the other hand, to my ear, is quite detailed yet warm sounding, like a nice large diaphragm condenser. Quite a shock to me as I had no luck whatsoever getting it to work well with the R-09, the internal mics always bettered it. Go figure.
Just my view.
Bruce

Offline Outrageous

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 02:36:42 PM »
The 957 on the other hand, to my ear, is quite detailed yet warm sounding, like a nice large diaphragm condenser.

Bruce, thanks for the analysis.  I think I'll put the Sony 957 back on my wish-list.  If you could post some comparison recordings sometime, that would be great!

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 07:18:04 PM »
Thanks!  Ordering the Pelican tonight.   ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com