Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Active cable gone bad.  (Read 7009 times)

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
Active cable gone bad.
« on: June 26, 2005, 01:02:01 AM »
So my new/used active is a dud, can someone give me an idea of what to look for to see if i can't fix it as i really need to use it this week. Anyone have theirs go bad and if so what went? Although I don't think there is a fix.

AKG 300/Blueline active cable btw.
mics & cameras

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Active cable gone bad.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 11:09:26 PM »
BUMP for Sanjay

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 12:28:00 AM »
So my new/used active is a dud, can someone give me an idea of what to look for to see if i can't fix it as i really need to use it this week. Anyone have theirs go bad and if so what went? Although I don't think there is a fix.

I don't think I can help.  But what is this thing?  Do you have part number and/or link?  Is it just a cable that goes between the capsule and an SE300B body?  If it is just a cable, the first thing would be to check the connectors and cable conductivity.

I'm asking because I just built a battery box to power the CK9x capsules directly.  (Post in mics forum.)  But it was a hack job.  I just took apart the capsule and soldered to the tabls inside.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 12:40:15 AM »

I don't think I can help.  But what is this thing?  Do you have part number and/or link?  Is it just a cable that goes between the capsule and an SE300B body?  If it is just a cable, the first thing would be to check the connectors and cable conductivity.

I'm asking because I just built a battery box to power the CK9x capsules directly.  (Post in mics forum.)  But it was a hack job.  I just took apart the capsule and soldered to the tabls inside.

Richard

http://www.akg.com/products/powerslave,mynodeid,7,id,92,pid,92,_language,EN.html

Seperates capsule from body, I saw your post and that is what gave me directions on how to disassemble it as it is architecturally similar to the capsules and body.  I checked the bayonet connector and everything seems fine, however I could oonly get the recepticle end partway undone.  Now that i've taken it apart and unfortunatly scratched it up I doubt I can return it as he was clear it must be cosmetically exactly as how I received it.  Next stop akg service, doubt it can be too much for them to check and fix.
mics & cameras

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 02:05:28 AM »

Richard

http://www.akg.com/products/powerslave,mynodeid,7,id,92,pid,92,_language,EN.html

Seperates capsule from body, I saw your post and that is what gave me directions on how to disassemble it as it is architecturally similar to the capsules and body.  I checked the bayonet connector and everything seems fine, however I could oonly get the recepticle end partway undone.  Now that i've taken it apart and unfortunatly scratched it up I doubt I can return it as he was clear it must be cosmetically exactly as how I received it.  Next stop akg service, doubt it can be too much for them to check and fix.

Sorry to hear your troubles (+T).  I sucks to get new (to you) stuff and have it break.  You checked the cable conductivity itself, right?  Anyway, hopefully AKG can sort it out for you.  I guess the good news is that you can still record using the bodies...

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 01:29:32 PM »
Sanjay man, I can't thank you enough for your hospitality this weekend. My friends and I were very impressed. I feel pretty bad about the cable for ya and really hope that it wasn't something that happened to it while I was driving it down to ya that screwed it up. I hope you get it all figured out! +T

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 08:03:37 PM »
being sent to AKG for repair which will cost around $60, still cheaper than new i suppose  :-\ 

I'll get this eventually!
mics & cameras

Offline dgodwin

• AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 08:49:25 PM »
If $60 includes return shipping, I wouldn't complain too hard.  Good luck in getting this quickly.  +t for your troubles.  and you know a set of cables will appear on ebay or the yard sale tomorrow... or the day after you get this one back.

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 09:05:16 PM »
If $60 includes return shipping, I wouldn't complain too hard.  Good luck in getting this quickly.  +t for your troubles.  and you know a set of cables will appear on ebay or the yard sale tomorrow... or the day after you get this one back.

not shipping I don't think.... did you get my pm about the gear?  let me know what you need and i can even bring it to work tomorrow if you want it.
mics & cameras

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 10:44:54 PM »
i heard its somewhat common for the 391 active cable to die?????
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 11:31:40 PM »
well 3 of us have had one die in a month so i guess so.
mics & cameras

Offline musicsherlock

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Team Upstate New York
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005, 01:56:58 PM »
yeah...mine's in the shop...waiting to hear the diagnosis :(

maybe I'll go back to 480's and CSB's  j/k

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2005, 02:09:08 PM »
yeah...mine's in the shop...waiting to hear the diagnosis :(

maybe I'll go back to 480's and CSB's  j/k

They don't tell you until after its fixed, even though I requested that they call me before they do work.
mics & cameras

Offline musicsherlock

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Team Upstate New York
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2005, 02:16:38 PM »
just got word that the Warranty is not accepted in the U.S. for an overseas invoice (I purchased from musiciansgear.com)  I may have spend $50-60 for repair in the U.S.

what do you guys think?  These are brand new (less than 5 months old) and run only 3-4 times; the rest of the time stored in the original box.  However, shipping to Germany wil be approx $40 and may delay things ever further...

Offline dgodwin

• AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2005, 04:07:33 PM »
$40 to ship to germany vs $50-$60 for the work done in the US.   I'd probably just get it done.  Safer and faster that way.   Will AKG US warranty the work, in case something goes bad later on? 

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2005, 04:47:52 PM »
I would just try the loyal customer crap and how unhappy you are with the product and see if you can't get them to change their mind.
mics & cameras

Offline willndmb

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2005, 01:45:28 PM »
Naylor had one die this past week too
i was thinking about gwetting these but i think i will just stay with the full body and everythin hooked together
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2005, 04:54:04 PM »
Naylor had one die this past week too
i was thinking about gwetting these but i think i will just stay with the full body and everythin hooked together

he's the third after myself and christian.

I've never heard of this problem before so we should hope its a freak coincidence.

You don't need them if your not stealthing and I guess the At853's are as good a bet as any, I just wanted easy setup for open taping.
mics & cameras

Offline naylor

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2005, 06:04:12 PM »
Yeah, I'm wondering if it's even worth the trouble to fix and continue using  mine.  If they're so fragile that they break after only one or two uses, then do we really want to be stealthing with these?  Obviously, stealthing isn't the most pleasant of situations to continually put your gear through, and these seem to break pretty easily.  I may just unload mine and pick up something more reliable, even if it costs me more.  I'm pretty bitter about the whole thing, honestly.

Eric

Offline willndmb

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2005, 07:08:53 PM »
I may just unload mine

Eric

keep me in mind, hope to hook up with you and talk to see if its a good thing for me and if i could do it cash wise

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.195 seconds with 48 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com