Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Apogee Mini Me  (Read 18229 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: Apogee Mini Me
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2007, 06:47:43 AM »
I ran it w/the 140s, but thought that it was a little "too thick" sounding at times.  w/the 150s, it was perfectly juicy.

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2007, 10:44:51 AM »
Well I got my minime yesterday  ;D
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline danlynch

• Trade Count: (16)
    • nyctaper
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2007, 01:16:17 PM »
Well I got my minime yesterday  ;D

Sweet!  +t
Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2007, 03:10:06 AM »
contemplating eliminating the sxm2 for a field test of just mg210>mini me for an upcoming show...anyone run this rig?
cr

I run that exact rig: M210 > MiniMe > MT.  I have never run a Sax in front of the MMe, but from other Sax recordings I have, the pres on the Sax and on the MMe are pretty much polar opposites.  Try with the Sax for one set of a show and with just the MMe for another set.  This is one where personal taste will rule the day.  I like the MMe preamps; very warm and expansive.  Not the most detailed in the world, but considering the crappy places in which I tape, that is fine with me.  I did pick up a PSP2 to see if I could get an even larger soundstage, but have not been able to try it out yet.  The drawback with the MMe pres is that they are a bit sloppy in the low end, something I would think that the Sax would correct.  Then again, the Sax is a bit thin all around, IMHO, so the other characteristics of the MMe pres would stand out more if you just ran it alone.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline ellaguru

• Trade Count: (17)
    • the wendy hour
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2007, 11:38:05 AM »
contemplating eliminating the sxm2 for a field test of just mg210>mini me for an upcoming show...anyone run this rig?
cr

I run that exact rig: M210 > MiniMe > MT.  I have never run a Sax in front of the MMe, but from other Sax recordings I have, the pres on the Sax and on the MMe are pretty much polar opposites.  Try with the Sax for one set of a show and with just the MMe for another set.  This is one where personal taste will rule the day.  I like the MMe preamps; very warm and expansive.  Not the most detailed in the world, but considering the crappy places in which I tape, that is fine with me.  I did pick up a PSP2 to see if I could get an even larger soundstage, but have not been able to try it out yet.  The drawback with the MMe pres is that they are a bit sloppy in the low end, something I would think that the Sax would correct.  Then again, the Sax is a bit thin all around, IMHO, so the other characteristics of the MMe pres would stand out more if you just ran it alone.

got the DAT on right now of last nights dinosaur jr show...210>mme>d8/jb3....top end sounds better than the old sax>sbm combo that i ran for around 5 years...i was not set up in the prime taping location, but im pleased with new gear for the 1st time in a while...mind you, dino jr prob wasnt the ideal 'test' due to the spl/volume and the blind pig is not the best venue if yr off center, but so far, so good...ill be hitting the 2nd show tonight so ill have more to compare with...10db pads on the mics helped for sure!

cr

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2007, 04:41:00 AM »
cr

got the DAT on right now of last nights dinosaur jr show...210>mme>d8/jb3....top end sounds better than the old sax>sbm combo that i ran for around 5 years...i was not set up in the prime taping location, but im pleased with new gear for the 1st time in a while...mind you, dino jr prob wasnt the ideal 'test' due to the spl/volume and the blind pig is not the best venue if yr off center, but so far, so good...ill be hitting the 2nd show tonight so ill have more to compare with...10db pads on the mics helped for sure!

cr

I mostly tape metal shows and such (louder than all hell) and have never used the pads at all in the MGs.  The Apogee can take a hot signal and you will be running closer to 0 gain on the MMe, which is ideal.

You have noticed a thing that I am also not too wild about on the M210 > MMe combo and that is the tendency for the top end to become a bit too strident.  The MGs really pronounce guitar tones and cymbals and I have a feeling that the MMe pre allows this through, for better or for worse.  The midrange cannot be beat, however, IMHO.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2007, 09:18:42 AM »
cr

cr

I mostly tape metal shows and such (louder than all hell) and have never used the pads at all in the MGs.  The Apogee can take a hot signal and you will be running closer to 0 gain on the MMe, which is ideal.

You have noticed a thing that I am also not too wild about on the M210 > MMe combo and that is the tendency for the top end to become a bit too strident.  The MGs really pronounce guitar tones and cymbals and I have a feeling that the MMe pre allows this through, for better or for worse.  The midrange cannot be beat, however, IMHO.

I just had to set my jumpers back to low gain.  On high gain, I was running -15db pad switch on the mics and the signal was STILL to hot at alot of loud shows fob.  Thank goodness for the soft limiter, saved my ass many a times.  I was running Beyer 930's.

Question Jamie, were your jumpers at high or low gain?

Offline silentmark

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2007, 09:43:48 AM »
Any reason why you just don't leave the jumpers set to low all the time ? High gain for acoustic music perhaps ?

I am still learning the mm and just had my first outing with the jumpers set to high gain, not good. I had to flip the -10dB pads on the mics bodies instead of the soft limit as I thought it would compress the signal too much. I was going over -2dB a fair amount. I got home and switched the jumpers to low gain. Now I just need a show to tape  8)

I forgot how it was learning new gear in the field, totally dig it  ;D
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 12:14:56 PM by silentmark »
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

stirinthesauce

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2007, 09:53:38 AM »
I bought it, realized after that it was set on high gain, to lazy to change it out til now  ;D  The former owner ran jk labs/akg setup.  Having run this setup before, I noticed output was low.  Probably why the former owner had the jumpers set on high.

Love the soft limiter.  When running fob at loud shows, really helps when the soundman starts to tweak things around. 

Offline ellaguru

• the wendy hour
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2007, 11:38:58 AM »
ran the soft limiter last night for the 1st time...cant claim any results since i just got out of bed & havent popped the dat in yet...

cr

Offline danlynch

• Trade Count: (16)
    • nyctaper
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2007, 12:16:06 PM »
I ran the soft-limiter once, and frankly, I didn't like the compressed feel of the sound.  At this point, I've recorded some loud concerts without the limiter but with the -15dB on the Neumann's, and the results are much more dynamic.
Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline silentmark

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2007, 12:27:11 PM »
Have you found you have to still run the -10dB pad even with the low gain setting ?

stirinthesauce

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2007, 12:51:53 PM »
I ran the soft-limiter once, and frankly, I didn't like the compressed feel of the sound.  At this point, I've recorded some loud concerts without the limiter but with the -15dB on the Neumann's, and the results are much more dynamic.

There are several settings.  Which one did you use?  The first setting, for soft limit, does not involve the compressor.  I just starts rounding off the signal at I believe -4 or -2 (have to check my manual) so as to prevent overages.  The 2nd setting engages the compressor, where you have curves for 1, 2, or 3.  I generally run mine so that it will never even engage, but there are times when a player really "gets on it" where the transients spike.  I personally hate clips and would much rather have a soft limit, in difference to a hard limit, any day to save the recording.   Feel free to check out any of my recordings made with the mini me, I always use the soft limiter.  www.archive.org/bookmarks/stirinthesauce

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2007, 01:19:45 PM »

There are several settings.  Which one did you use?  The first setting, for soft limit, does not involve the compressor.  I just starts rounding off the signal at I believe -4 or -2 (have to check my manual) so as to prevent overages.  The 2nd setting engages the compressor, where you have curves for 1, 2, or 3.  I generally run mine so that it will never even engage, but there are times when a player really "gets on it" where the transients spike.  I personally hate clips and would much rather have a soft limit, in difference to a hard limit, any day to save the recording.   Feel free to check out any of my recordings made with the mini me, I always use the soft limiter.  www.archive.org/bookmarks/stirinthesauce

I always ran all my Apogee's to never hit the soft limit but if something like a bomb goes off it is nice to know you are covered. I can't believe ANYONE could hear the difference with the soft limit engaged as long as you are not into it constantly.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline ellaguru

• the wendy hour
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2007, 01:19:54 PM »
after 1st listen, im pleased with the soft limit.  i was taping dino jr. the past 2 nights & their volume is a bit over the top at times.  ran the -10db pads on the 210's (for only the 2nd time ever IIRC).  did NOT use the compressor or any of its settings....im afraid how that would sound   :-X

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.34 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com