Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: m148->V3 users  (Read 11159 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
m148->V3 users
« on: April 12, 2004, 08:37:39 PM »
Hey guys, I'm borrowing Nate's V3 for Vegas and am planning on running m148->V3. I've heard conflicting reports about using the -20db pad. If I can avoid using it that would be great. Any thoughts?

I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
Re:m148->V3 users
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 08:45:19 PM »
Curious on why this setup?   Are you able to fine tune the gain with the V3?  Using the V3 just for a/d?  I know you're borrowing the V3 but I'm curious why someone would run this setup.

Definatly not flaming...just genuinely curious. :)
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Jason B

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 08:45:20 PM »
Though I only ran this rig a handful of times, I never had to use the pads. I set the V3 to 10 and went from there. Usually needing no more than 15db from the V3. A few times, i set the V3 at 10 and only need to use the trim knobs to get the perfect amount of gain.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 08:46:25 PM by Jason B »

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 08:46:24 PM »
guess Jason answered that one for me........... :scared:
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline Tim

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 08:49:43 PM »
Thanks Jason!

Brian, yeah I'm just using it as an a/d... I want the low end thump of the m148 and a clean a/d to go behind the u89s.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

jpschust

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2004, 08:51:50 PM »
and a huge wallet taboot :-)  Tim, when you bill yourself at 300/hr i cant wait to see what you are running :-)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2004, 08:54:35 PM »
and a huge wallet taboot :-)  Tim, when you bill yourself at 300/hr i cant wait to see what you are running :-)

hell he wont have time to run anything with all the work he will have to do...Tim, let me go on record that your gear is welcome here in the state of NC whenever it needs a workout... ;D

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2004, 09:04:51 PM »
Though I only ran this rig a handful of times, I never had to use the pads. I set the V3 to 10 and went from there. Usually needing no more than 15db from the V3. A few times, i set the V3 at 10 and only need to use the trim knobs to get the perfect amount of gain.

what he said

trey
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2004, 09:08:55 PM »
Do any of you know anyone that's been running this combo? I'm gonna try it this weekend for the first time myself. So far the 4's>V3 isn't doing it for me.
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

Jason B

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2004, 09:29:15 PM »
Do any of you know anyone that's been running this combo? I'm gonna try it this weekend for the first time myself. So far the 4's>V3 isn't doing it for me.

I've just run it with the U89's 5 or 6 times...

I think maybe Trey has run it more though...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 09:30:23 PM by Jason B »

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2004, 09:31:08 PM »

i have, and william boswell ran 4s>m148>v3 for most of fall last yr. To me it just brings things closer, the soundstage is not so far out in the recording, I find it to be my favorite so far
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline fsulloway

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2004, 09:42:34 PM »
Trey- I hope my ears get the same result. Duh, I'd forgotten about William. I'll have to hit him up for some tapes.
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

Offline jacallery

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2004, 10:46:39 PM »
I ran this combo with some 480's and schoeps last spring and did some
comparisons at shows and in some small bars.  Every time the m148>V3
combo was more direct sounding than the straight V3(like Trey said) it
just brings the music closer.  Actually what I think it does is the M148 doesn't pick up as many reverberant noise reflections from a room
(esp. in a bar) as the straight V3 with 25-35db of gain.  The V3 is so
producive of what you hear it picks up alot of the "room". The m148 seems to tame this since most of your gain (-20db) is derived from it.
The lowest gain setting on the V3 is sometimes still too hot, but don't worry if you see overs b/c you will never clip it running it so low,believe me.  You will have waveforms that cut, so you will lose some dynamics, (but I doubt you would ever hear it) so if your anal about waveforms beware.  I loved the combo with both AKG omni's and mk21's the best.

happy gearing,
callery
schoeps mk41/mk5+cmc6xt>Nagra V (24/96)

Offline Tim

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2004, 12:58:52 PM »
Thanks so much all, what Trey and Callery are reporting is exactly what I'm hoping for out of the combo.

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2004, 01:03:15 PM »
Thanks Jason!

Brian, yeah I'm just using it as an a/d... I want the low end thump of the m148 and a clean a/d to go behind the u89s.

try the mytek.the metering sucks but quality is superb.

Offline Tim

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2004, 01:39:04 PM »
thanks for the heads up Muj, what's the price on that thing... it looked pretty cool.

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2004, 01:44:50 PM »
not sure Tim.you better call Nathan at atlasproaudio.com,i bought my adc2496 from him.they also offer return policy.the designer Michal is also very fun to talk with.

Offline Tim

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2004, 01:49:51 PM »
thanks Muj!

marc0789

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2004, 05:24:07 PM »
Luke, you must overcome your fear of the tiny screwdriver....Luke..... 8)

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2004, 06:09:53 PM »
I ran the 148>V3 a few times & liked it but after a while preferred just the straight V3 & sold my brick to some other crackhead who runs dull ass mics on this board. I miss it now, I should have sold the mics & kept the brick :)
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Jason B

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2004, 06:23:23 PM »
Actually what I think it does is the M148 doesn't pick up as many reverberant noise reflections from a room
(esp. in a bar) as the straight V3 with 25-35db of gain.  The V3 is so
producive of what you hear it picks up alot of the "room".

This makes no sense to me. We are talking about a preamp, not a microphone. I can see using these descriptions when desrcibing a microphone, but a preamp? The 148 is just boosting the signal of the mics, not picking up sounds, reverberant noise or lack there of. A preamp does not pick up any room, mics do. I occasionally see people say these things about pre's, and it makes absolutely no sense to me.  ???
« Last Edit: April 13, 2004, 06:24:20 PM by Jason B »

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2004, 06:30:34 PM »
Well it does make some sense, it's a little tough for me to explain but I think there are alot of spatual clues or subtle nuances that the V3 get's right when cranked on higher gain, such as 30-40 db that will not be as present when used at 10db gain as it is when used with a 148. I think the 148 does a superb job at fattening up the sound but I do not find it to sound incredibly revealing or detailed. It will provide more of a dynamic impact but still needs the V3 to provide that last bit of room cues to get it right IMO.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Jason B

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2004, 06:38:08 PM »
I agree on the fact that the 148 does sound "fat", and some pre's can sound "thin", and others "tubby", but I do not get how it can "pick up more reverberant noise". I can understand the fact that at certain gain settings, a preamp may show some emphasis on certain freqeuncies, but I just can't grasp the fact that it "picks up room noise". I can see that it may reveal more detail in your recordings than you are used to hearing due to how clean the V3 is, but I just don't see that it has anything to do with what the mics are picking up.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2004, 10:10:42 PM by Jason B »

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2004, 07:14:39 PM »
I think the 148 does a superb job at fattening up the sound but I do not find it to sound incredibly revealing or detailed.

My thoughts, exactly!

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2004, 01:09:47 AM »
I agree on the fact that the 148 does sound "fat", and some pre's can sound "thin", and others "tubby", but I do not get how it can "pick up more reverberant noise". I can understand the fact that at certain gain settings, a preamp may show some emphasis on certain freqeuncies, but I just can't grasp the fact that it "picks up room noise". I can see that it may reveal more detail in your recordings than you are used to hearing due to how clean the V3 is, but I just don't see that it has anything to do with what the mics are picking up.

great posts here..keep em coming. a mic pre will ofcourse boost the signal,no doubt.But the issue here is if the mic pre is extracting maximum
information from the mics.For instance my grace v3 and gordon are both considered transparent,but the gordon reveals more room sound,details.the fidelity is greater and bandwidth as well.not to mention the resolution is spectacular.
so i agree with jason,it does not help the mics,but the mic reflects what's being extracted ,how much and if it's altering the information(coloration)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 03:40:55 AM by muj »

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2004, 11:54:03 AM »
I ran this combo on quite a few occasions this fall with super cards in front.  I did so to warm up the sound that usually is evident in super/hyper card recordings where the bass gets rolled off.  IMO, it was a perfect match.  With the straight v3, I hear more details of the reverberant sounds in the room.  When I add the m148 to the mix, the tapes I pull had a smoother, more analog sound.  Some of the detail was left out was not as present.  This is generally a good thing if you are recording in a not so good sounding room.

I think JasonB and Callery are caught up in an issue of semantics.  The 148 adds the equivalent of "dither" in the analog stage by warming over some of the details that the mics pick up (yes, I know dither refers to the a/d stage, but in this case, it makes for a good analogy).  The v3 accurately represents the information it receives and lays the tracks on tape.

Money not an object, I would run the mk41>m148>v3 combo indoors every night and perhaps even in a shed, but outdoors or onstage, I would run straight mk21>v3.  

Frank, if you want some m148>v3 tapes/discs, lmk.  I can send both section and fob sources.

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2004, 12:31:09 PM »
Frank, if you want some m148>v3 tapes/discs, lmk.  I can send both section and fob sources.

Ditto. I also have a few of Bos's crappy recordings.  :P

Offline fsulloway

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2004, 01:41:15 PM »

Ditto. I also have a few of Bos's crappy recordings.  :P

No thanks, I've got plenty of crappy recordings that I've made to listen to. ;D ;D ;D
I'll give ya'll a shout.
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

Offline jacallery

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2004, 10:37:30 PM »
.  With the straight v3, I hear more details of the reverberant sounds in the room.  When I add the m148 to the mix, the tapes I pull had a smoother, more analog sound.  Some of the detail was left out was not as present.  This is generally a good thing if you are recording in a not so good sounding room.
I think JasonB and Callery are caught up in an issue of semantics.  

Thanks william, I should have made myself a little more clear.
When i went back and read my post I realized my thoughts didn't come
out in greatest detail.  I agreed with what jasonB was saying  :)

I think we are all on the same page, my page is just half torn...

callery
schoeps mk41/mk5+cmc6xt>Nagra V (24/96)

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2004, 11:38:09 AM »
but don't worry if you see overs b/c you will never clip it running it so low,believe me.  You will have waveforms that cut, so you will lose some dynamics, (but I doubt you would ever hear it) so if your anal about waveforms beware.

You may not be able to hear it depending on the duration, but a cut waveform is clipping.

mitch
Oade preamp museum curator

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2004, 12:08:46 PM »
it's very hard to clip the v3.  i believe grace said it's got a hard limit on it to help prevent actual overs

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2004, 12:15:01 PM »
A preamp in mathematical terms is a voltage multiplier. It multiplies noise and the intended signal. Resistors generate noise, so do microphone capsules.  Mics hear what they hear, and they generate a line level signal that is then multiplied by the preamp.  As part of the voltage multiplication, the preamp adds it's own noise based on the design of the particular preamp, components used (transformers, op amps, etc).  A cleaner preamp may add less destructive noise as part of the multiplication, resulting in the impression that the preamp allows the mics to hear more of the room, but in reality, it's doing a better job of multiplying what the mics have already picked up.  Preamps can't add detail that isn't already there...it's more a matter of how much they degrade the signal as it moves down the chain...some degrade more than others, and sometimes more (or just different) degradation is a good thing.

-mitch

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2004, 12:41:49 PM »
it's very hard to clip the v3.  i believe grace said it's got a hard limit on it to help prevent actual overs

yeah, but if you continually ram it into the hard limiter, you'll see squared off waves (or very close too it).  whether it truly goes over and results in a square wave clip or the hard limiter compresses it rapidly to 0db is almost a matter of semantics, the end result is not ideal.  if it was, I would just peg my ad1000, turn the soft limit on and go drink beer.

mitch

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2004, 01:02:10 PM »
i believe grace said it's got a hard limit on it to help prevent actual overs

Haven't heard this before - curious where you heard this and if you (or anyone else) can confirm?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2004, 05:40:17 PM »
it's very hard to clip the v3.

agreed, but I think in the situation where one is running an external pre in front of it the bigger risk is overloading the the mic inputs (with the -20dB pads off).

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

jpschust

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2004, 10:40:34 PM »
Tim, by the way, im eating my words since im going to be running 4022 > m148 > v3 :-)  eating them happily, but eating them nonetheless.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2004, 12:33:57 AM »
so should the jumpers def be put on -20db if running the 148 in front??
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

jpschust

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2004, 01:01:56 AM »
this is what im not sure about, mainly because i dont have my v3 yet, but theoretically shouldnt the v3 adjust for line input rather than mic input?

Offline save

• Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2004, 02:20:55 AM »
don't worry your v3 will be in the mail tomorrow morning ;)  hopefully you'll get some use out of her since i never got a chance to run it in the field....
save

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2004, 02:30:45 AM »

yes.yes.yes.

the mytek doesn't..so watch out!boom!

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2004, 02:32:11 AM »
don't worry your v3 will be in the mail tomorrow morning ;)  hopefully you'll get some use out of her since i never got a chance to run it in the field....

that should be a crime ;D

jpschust

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2004, 08:21:33 AM »
i plan on using it in the field and in the studio too.  i may try and use the 148 in the studio, though practically for what i record i dont think its gonna serve much purpose in the studio.  i tend not to buy "warm" stuff for the studio, generally things with more "clarity"

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2004, 10:40:33 AM »
I ran the 4022>148>V3 combo with & without the -20 jumpers. I ended up not using them so I could swap out the 148 mid set break if I wanted. I wish I labled all the comps so I could go back & re-evaluate what I heard but I'm a burn out.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

marc0789

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2004, 11:32:32 AM »
Confucious say:

Running m148>v3 like having dog fixed. Dog still able to hump leg, but dog not fuck anymore. ;D

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2004, 12:04:59 PM »
Confucious say:

Running m148>v3 like having dog fixed. Dog still able to hump leg, but dog not fuck anymore. ;D

HAHA, +T you demented phocker ;D

Offline Tim

« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2004, 07:22:05 PM »

I haven't run the -20db pad yet in the 5 or 6 shows I've run the combo for.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2004, 07:22:40 AM »

I haven't run the -20db pad yet in the 5 or 6 shows I've run the combo for.

suite, thanks tim :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.141 seconds with 75 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com