Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R4 run times  (Read 28460 times)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
Re: R4 run times
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2006, 03:28:09 PM »
And remember when searching through TS, that any setup that'll power a UA5 will also work for the R4 without any modification.
yes and no... ua-5 is 6v (I think... maybe 7) to 12v and the r4 (to the best of my knowlege) has not been tested below 9v.  connector is exactly the same though.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #106 on: June 26, 2006, 07:49:55 PM »
i've not heard of anyone powering a ua5 w/any less than 9v

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2006, 07:59:15 PM »
FYI.. I've used the RC type batteries and the generic DVD ones

9.6v3000mAh RC battery = ~6hours with phantom and backlight on the enitre time
9.6v4500mAh DVD battery = ~9 hours with phantom and backlight on the entire time

RC batteries... generic brand  (something like Tannergy) from www.all-battery.com... keep checking their weekly sales and you will eventually find a good deal on charger and batteries.  I got 4Xbatteries and fast charger for a bit over $50+shippping.

The DVD battery is a lenmar got one from mmmMatt with my R-4 and picked up another off ebay for $45.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2006, 01:57:01 PM »
i've not heard of anyone powering a ua5 w/any less than 9v

I could be confused, but I thought someone here was running 7v rc's and I thought I remembered hearing 6v was OK.  I ran 8v rc's w/o problem for a ua5 but never tried them with the r4... either way 9v is great for an r4 and is what people should seek out.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #109 on: June 27, 2006, 03:30:23 PM »
cool.
it probably does go down to 7v ish.  (the ua5 that is).

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #110 on: July 01, 2006, 03:32:17 AM »
So I just redid my entire rig with NiMH batteries.  Got two chargers, one through 7.2 V, the other for 7.2V and up.  I had Ed @ Kindkables make me customer power connectors (which are ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!) with Tamia connectors, and rewired all the NiMH with Tamia(f) to match.  Super easy ALL THEY WAY AROUND, interchangeable to a point, and all the same format.  Lighter and smaller (overall) than carrying several LiIon's, and safer too.

I'm using THIS ONE for the R4.  Bought it without the charger, and I'm getting well over 8 hours at 24/48 with the light on, using 4 channels.  The quick charger will recharge in 3 hours, so I really will NEVER need a second, even for festivals.  I've never ran over 8 hours of music in a day, even with the day being long.

FWIW, I am super happy FINALLY having all similar batteries with interchangeable chargers and small.  Never again will I run an SLA or Ecocharge.  Yippee!
Socks are overrated.

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #111 on: July 01, 2006, 03:36:53 AM »
...I also ran 8 x Lithium AA batts (Energizer, non-rechargeable) and got the full show (3 hours) at 24/48, with light.  It was stealth, so I ran just the 184s into the R4, and didn't have anything else- no battery packs, no big bags...nada.  SUPER cool.
Socks are overrated.

Offline ford prefect

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2006, 08:42:27 AM »
I'm using THIS ONE for the R4.

I'm looking at this one and can't tell from the screenshots - can you reverse the polarity on the tips by just turning it around on the cable?  Kinda like the RS adaptaplug - it has two prongs, and you just reverse the way it plugs in.  Or would you have to cut the cable to do that?

This is what the RS has:

Offline Gedit

• Taperssection Member
    • It's Live From
« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2006, 08:43:35 AM »
yes, the plug shown in that pic is reversible, and the CHUN-100DC11 in that link looks like it has reversible ones too
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 08:46:42 AM by Gedit »
24-track mobile audio and video production
Onyx 1640 > Alesis HD24
----------------------------------------------------------------
It's Live From
Taking Live Performance to the Next Level
http://www.itslivefrom.com
gewing@radiodial.org

Offline ford prefect

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #114 on: July 25, 2006, 09:39:09 AM »
yes, the plug shown in that pic is reversible,

Yes, it is.  That's the RS one that I own and use for the UA-5.

and the CHUN-100DC11 in that link looks like it has reversible ones too

How can you tell?  I'm looking at them and I still can't see the other side of them in any of the pictures.  All I can see is the plug end.  I'd like to be sure before I consider buying this.  I don't like the idea of rewiring the cable that's directly attached to the batteries and would like to avoid that if I can.

Thanks,
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 09:45:09 AM by ford prefect »

Offline ford prefect

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #115 on: July 25, 2006, 09:55:41 AM »
Ok, I think I see what you are looking at.  Attached is a zoomed in [albeit fuzzy] shot of the end of the battery cable.  Looks just like the end of the RS adaptacable with 2 slots for the plugs.   Reverse the plugs to reverse polarity.  Thanks George,

Offline Gedit

• Taperssection Member
    • It's Live From
« Reply #116 on: July 25, 2006, 09:56:29 AM »
generally, plugs that don't reverse polarity do not have a two-prong connector. they just snap-in one way. if you look at the CHUN-100DC11 plug, you can see it has two-prongs also. i might be wrong, but it looks like a connector that can be reversed.
Onyx 1640 > Alesis HD24
It's Live From
gewing@radiodial.org

Offline Gedit

• Taperssection Member
    • It's Live From
« Reply #117 on: July 25, 2006, 09:57:05 AM »
^ Ok, I think I see what you are looking at.

exactly
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 10:08:31 AM by Gedit »
Onyx 1640 > Alesis HD24
It's Live From
gewing@radiodial.org

Offline ford prefect

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #118 on: August 16, 2006, 01:31:28 PM »
Ok, I think I see what you are looking at.  Attached is a zoomed in [albeit fuzzy] shot of the end of the battery cable.  Looks just like the end of the RS adaptacable with 2 slots for the plugs.   Reverse the plugs to reverse polarity.  Thanks George,

Darn.  Just got the battery with the adapters from my post above.  Turns out that they can't be easily reversed like the Radio Shack adaptaplugs - the prongs on the plugs are 2 different sizes to prevent your average joe from reversing polarity by accident and frying something. 

Just wanted to followup in case anyone else read this and considered these options.  Still considering how I'm going to fix this..  Sorry for the tangent since this has nothing to do with runtimes.   ;)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2006, 02:00:45 PM »
Turns out that they can't be easily reversed like the Radio Shack adaptaplugs - the prongs on the plugs are 2 different sizes to prevent your average joe from reversing polarity by accident and frying something.

Just wanted to followup in case anyone else read this and considered these options.  Still considering how I'm going to fix this.

I just cut the wires, swapped (+) and (-) on the UA5/R-4 connector side, and spliced them back together with wire nuts (see pic, no soldering).  I folded the cable back on itself and secured it with tape on either side of the wire nuts to provide strain relief while the cable's in my bag.  No problems so far, been about 2 years, I guess.  And if I have a problem with the cable in the field, it's field-fixable with no tools: remove tape, re-fasten wire nuts, add new tape.

Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com