Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Your favorite signal chain for recording natural sounding acoustic guitars?  (Read 2783 times)

Offline alohachris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Aloha,

What products currently on the market comprise your favorite signal chain to produce the most natural acoustic guitar recordings? The whole chain please.

Thanks.
alohachris

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
depends on the room.....but hey a pair of elm-c's into a gordon model 5 can get you there

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
depends on the room.....but hey a pair of elm-c's into a gordon model 5 can get you there

Good God.   :P

Yes it's true, but...

Good God!   ;D
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA

Good God.   :P

Yes it's true, but...

Good God!   ;D

oh come on. at least it is under 10K...
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
Aloha,

What products currently on the market comprise your favorite signal chain to produce the most natural acoustic guitar recordings? The whole chain please.

Thanks.
alohachris

Rode NT4 -> Sound Devices MixPre -> Edirol R09HR or R44

When making critical acoustic instrument recordings I prefer to keep the whole signal chain battery powered. The MixPre isn't really a requirement, just what I have used, but that also depends on where the environment the guitar is located. If you need pristine silence then you need a very low-noise mic-pre.

Positioned like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsD6uEZsIsU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddn4MGaS3N4

digifish
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 01:42:34 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
A good starting point when I used to record:

KM84i for the neck
U87 or U89 on the body

Make sure you move them around until you find the best situation, and even more importantly, spend some time listening to the instrument from different places in the room and all around the body.

for pres we'd typically start with the old Telefunkens, but depending on how they felt that day they could be distractingly noisy.
Something like a Neve 9098 strip typically works well with acoustics, but I also used Earthworks pres on them regularly too. Bummer about not having gain control sometimes, but you work with what you got right?
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
depends what kind of playing, strumming or plucking/notes, pick or not.  Classical Nylon or Standard Acoustic...

For a good sound on any of the above try a AT4050 on the body and a SDC card on the neck.    For a player that plays a lot of notes try two LDC in a xy.  For a gentle strummer try a pair of SDC...

I have never had a large choice of preamps, so I am of no help there...

Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline rePat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Taken from NashPhil's post on the 2007 Grammy thread:

This is the weekend of Rockygrass, and both of them were playing the festival already. Sunday morning comes early after a long night of drinking free fat tire, so at 7am the cell phone rings and Doc has agreed to do the session, so I leave the fest and head over to Bryan's hotel room in Longmont, CO (outside Boulder) and set up the gear. I used the bathroom as my control room. I set up one vintage KM54 on each guitar and plugged those into a Brent Averill custom API Pre, and set up a vintage U87 overhead in case Doc decided to sing. Laptop and ADAT. Super simple.

Pretty good reference, I would think.

DPA 4021 >SD MP-2>Sony PCM M10

Church Audio Cardoids>Edirol R-09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com