Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Digital Recording  (Read 3571 times)

Offline AMdew11

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Digital Recording
« on: December 12, 2008, 10:38:25 PM »
OK, I am extremely new to all of this (like my 2nd day), but I'm hoping to get some help on the basics.  I was told that I should grab a Digital Recorder as opposed to DAT as they are on their way out.  It's small and should only cost me about $500 right?  I would patch into the soundbrd. of the band and am close with their sound guy, so he'll be patient in the beginning.  I want aux out right?  At this point I don't think I'm even gonna get a mic.  Any suggestions on a specific one?  I then would be hoping to upload and track for the archive and make hard discs to give out at shows (samplers).  Thanks for everyone's advice and please excuse the billion more questions I will have.   :D

peace  n

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • move along, nothing much to see here
Re: Digital Recording
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 11:09:11 PM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,114292.0.html

add a few flash cards and you are well on your way.

Welcome to taping, check your wallet @ the door
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 11:24:41 PM »

Welcome to taping, check your wallet @ the door

In NASCAR they say, "Speed costs money.  How fast do you want to go?"  Here it is about the same.  However, listen up around here and you can get some good pointers and deals to get you started recording with excellent results.  Not right away.  But your first attempts will amaze you.  Then you're hooked and, as the man said above, check your wallet at the door.

Have fun.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 04:42:21 PM »

Yeah, the FR2-LE is great value. Assuming you don't have to bother about the size, this is the best you can buy in the $3-400 range.

There's been recent talk about the Tascam DP-004. Selling for $200 new, but it's only 16/44.1:
http://www.tascam.com/products/dp-004;9,16,3707,14.html

You could also look for a used PMD660 (again 16/44.1 only). I don't know if the stock version is any good for soundboard feeds, maybe others can tell?

But if you can afford it, go for the FR2-LE.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline boyacrobat

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 08:14:36 PM »
sd card the best option
no moving parts

well done on getting to hear
hope you enjoy the ride taping can be

g

Offline AMdew11

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 09:11:46 PM »
OK, thanks, this is good stuff.  A lotof the ones I've checked out don't have a lot of storage space.  What different GB sizes are there and what do they usually run?  Are there 16GB+ ones?  Whats an sd card? 

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Texas Tapers
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 12:23:45 AM »
Secure Digital
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline rhinowing

• SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 04:23:24 AM »
OK, thanks, this is good stuff.  A lotof the ones I've checked out don't have a lot of storage space.  What different GB sizes are there and what do they usually run?  Are there 16GB+ ones?  Whats an sd card? 
1 gb will get you 100 minutes in 16/44.1 (CD quality) WAV
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 02:51:40 PM »
The FR2-LE is a good deck that can be had for $500 or less.  It uses Compact Flash (CF) cards, as do many digital recorders these days.

Secure Digital (SD) cards are physically smaller than CF cards, and a little less expensive.  However, both types are getting less expensive every day.  Newegg.com sells 16G CF cards for $29, and 32G cards for $59, but those prices will be out of date almost as soon as I write this.  16G SD cards are about 28 bucks, but 32G SD cards are much more expensive at about $100 a pop.

I record mostly classical music, so I always record 24 bits.  Recording 24 bit words allows for easier recording level setting; if I'm 20dB or even 30dB too low in my level, I can still amplify the file on the computer after the concert without adding audible noise.  Much, much easier than the bad old days of analog recording.  Maybe with R&R you could get by with 16 bits (depends on the band), but with memory getting cheaper every day, why bother?

Recording 24/44.1 or 24/48 stereo works out to be about 1G per hour.

Welcome to the taper's world.  I've been doing it for about 35 years and I still enjoy it.  You'll enjoy it even more if you remember this mantra: "It's only money".

Offline hawghunter

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Planet of Sound
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 10:39:31 PM »
"It's only money".
Make more tomorrow, ehh? haha!
ISO: NIRVANA :), 8/15/91 - The Roxy

930's > MMe

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 11:09:36 AM »
If you're just getting started in taping and seeing live bands, why not get a minidisc recorder for ~$150 and just patch.
The cheap price of this will allow you to go to more concerts and shows as opposed to spending $500 on a recorder that you can't go to as many shows. Plus, you'll be able to buy more drinks for the ladies and your taping buddies!

Some will argue the moving parts on the minidisc recorder make it unattractive as well as the media but we all have to start somewhere. Its just unbelievable that DAT machines used to sell for a crap load of money and it was 1x transfer time but now you can get a minidisc recorder, SD recorder and have the audio up in ~5 minutes on your computer for ~$350.

I'll note that minidisc recorders are just 16/44.1. 

a handy little calculator to figure out how much you can fit on an SD/CF/HD.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 02:47:14 AM »
Or, you can buy a Zoom H2 for the same price brand new with warranty and solid state memory.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VBH2IG?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&tag=coffeeresearch109612-20

I am not knocking MD; I have two of them.  But let's face it, the day has passed for MD.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 10:16:26 AM »
Or, you can buy a Zoom H2 for the same price brand new with warranty and solid state memory.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VBH2IG?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&tag=coffeeresearch109612-20

I am not knocking MD; I have two of them.  But let's face it, the day has passed for MD.

Zoom H2 is good value in general, but you have to consider the intended usage of the OP.
He wants to patch from soundboard, open taping. So he needs a unit with decent analog in. H2 wouldn't come first in my list.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline Kevin T

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 07:49:04 AM »
The H2 has alot of shortcommings but as a a line in bit bucket it works very well as long as you control the level from the source . especially at this price. So if $ and good line in are important to the OP the H2 IMHO should be on his short list. 

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 09:24:58 AM »
The H2 has alot of shortcommings but as a a line in bit bucket it works very well as long as you control the level from the source . especially at this price. So if $ and good line in are important to the OP the H2 IMHO should be on his short list. 
I have an H2 and like it a lot. A very good value for the money spent, runs for a while on a pair of AA rechargables, and a 16GB card will set you up for a LOT of recording time.

If you send a signal to it which is too hot, however, you WILL overload the line input. Also, I would not consider it to be a "bit bucket" as it has no digital input. If you get the H2, leave the "record level" setting at 99 or 100, and, as the man said, CONTROL THE LEVEL FROM THE SOURCE.

Have fun and welcome to the wonderful world of audio archiving!

ps the H2 has 4 mics built in, for those times when the board feed is useless!  ;D
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com