Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Ultra-portable rig?  (Read 8697 times)

Offline ae35unit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Ultra-portable rig?
« on: January 08, 2009, 07:58:51 PM »
Hi,

I did a good deal of taping a few years back but haven't really don't much in the last 4-5 years unfortunately.  I've been thinking about getting back into the hobby but haven't been following the development of new hardware.  I was hoping someone on the board could offer up some ideas or suggestions for me - hardware models, websites, etc.

My interests:

- when using my own mics, the system needs to be very portable.  I had CSB's a few years ago and I'm thinking something like that.
 - the ultimate aim is to get it into my macbook, it'd be great to record directly to some sort of memory card and be able to easily dump it onto my hard drive
 - i'd like to be able to patch into other tapers' rigs at concerts if needed
 - i'm not too concerned about being able to work with a soundboard, I've got a DA-P1 and V3 that I could use for that if I really wanted to

Really, I've found that my favorite tapes and taping experiences have been little side-stage type stuff that I just wandered into and recorded with my CSB's.  It'd be great to have a setup where the mics were on a hat and I could just hit record if I happen upon something cool.

I still have a DA-P1 (nearly brand new), Lunatech V3 and a pair of DPA 4021's.  That setup sounded great but tended to be such a hassle to tote around that it soured me on taping in the end.  What's the value of that equipment these days?  Do people even have interest in DATs anymore?

Anyway, I'd appreciate any help, pointers, etc that anyone can provide me.  Thanks very much!

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
Re: Ultra-portable rig?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 10:06:29 PM »
Some people still run DAT, but it's fading.  Most new recorders take flash cards like a digital camera, and some have hard drives.  V3's and 4021's are still highly regarded.

One of the more popular recorders now is a Edirol R09 (and the newer R09HR), which is about the size of a deck of cards (and $300-$400).  You could run CSBs > R09 (I run that occasionally), or you could run 4022s > V3 > analog > R09 for open taping.  Copying the flash card wav file to computer is what most of us do.

If you wanted to sell your existing stuff and buy smaller stuff, here is a ballpark estimate of going price:
- 4022's... I think a pair just went for something like $2300 in the yard sale.
- V3... I paid $900 for mine used a while ago.
- DA-P1... these don't come up very often, but I suspect you would be pretty disappointed with what you would get.

Another set of boxes to look at are the Marantz PMD-660, or Fostex FR2LE which are "all in one" boxes with XLR in.  You could run your 4022 > those boxes, without the V3.  The Marantz is about the size of a red masonry brick, and the Fostex is a bit bigger.  I can't comment on how the 4022 sound with either of those boxes... you probably want to go to archive.org and listen to some samples.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 10:14:02 PM by SmokinJoe »
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 01:04:07 AM »
If you're like me, carrying in a large multi-component, and often power-hungry rig doesn't make it very fun so the all-in-one mic + deck 2-piece rig is what I'd suggest.

Best combo I've designed so far is using a modified R-09HR powering + set of DSM mics.

Tech review of the 09HR deck is here: www.sonicstudios.com/r09hrrev.htm

The stealth-able 2-piece rigs with sound samples is here:  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,83254.0/all.html
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 01:17:17 AM »
i'd like to be able to patch into other tapers' rigs at concerts if needed

If you want analog patches, you can get those from just about any deck now, but digital patches are another story.  The only small portable recorder that I know that has both digital inputs and outputs is the Sony PCM-D50, and it uses optical for both.  You can get around this by purchasing a Hosa or a Fostex optical - digital converter box, but then you have to have an external battery to run it, increasing the bulk of the device.  One thing that you may want to do is wait for the new Marantz PMD661 to be released which will have the more common coaxial digital inputs and outputs on it.  If you want to move a size up, you may want to look at the Fostex FR2LE, which I believe has coaxial digital inputs and outputs, but is bulkier than the small handheld devices.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 01:40:17 AM »

If you want analog patches, you can get those from just about any deck now, but digital patches are another story.  The only small portable recorder that I know that has both digital inputs and outputs is the Sony PCM-D50, and it uses optical for both.  You can get around this by purchasing a Hosa or a Fostex optical - digital converter box, but then you have to have an external battery to run it, increasing the bulk of the device.  One thing that you may want to do is wait for the new Marantz PMD661 to be released which will have the more common coaxial digital inputs and outputs on it.  If you want to move a size up, you may want to look at the Fostex FR2LE, which I believe has coaxial digital inputs and outputs, but is bulkier than the small handheld devices.
Fostex FR2LE does *not* have digital I/O.
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 01:51:21 AM »

Fostex FR2LE does *not* have digital I/O.

I stand corrected.  Thanks.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 06:14:32 AM »
One thing that you may want to do is wait for the new Marantz PMD661 to be released which will have the more common coaxial digital inputs and outputs on it.  If you want to move a size up, you may want to look at the Fostex FR2LE, which I believe has coaxial digital inputs and outputs, but is bulkier than the small handheld devices.

Tha new Marantz PMD-661 does have analog (XLR with phantom or 1/8" line-in) and S/PDIF inputs, but does not have a digital output.
The Fostex FR-2LE does not have any digital inputs or outputs.

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 07:03:25 PM »
One thing that you may want to do is wait for the new Marantz PMD661 to be released which will have the more common coaxial digital inputs and outputs on it.  If you want to move a size up, you may want to look at the Fostex FR2LE, which I believe has coaxial digital inputs and outputs, but is bulkier than the small handheld devices.

Tha new Marantz PMD-661 does have analog (XLR with phantom or 1/8" line-in) and S/PDIF inputs, but does not have a digital output.
The Fostex FR-2LE does not have any digital inputs or outputs.

Iriver H1xx has digi I/O (optical), but is 16-bit only. Cheap enough to have as a secondary "throw-in" recorder besides your full rig, if you know beforehand that you will take patches.

But after all, I never understood the big deal with patches? In these days of lossless and torrents, just work out a trade with the taper and have him send you his recording afterwards!
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline indietaperwloo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 01:23:46 AM »
The rig I use which can fit into a jacket pocket:

Sennheiser KE4-211-2 Hat Rig (courtesy of illconditioned) > Edirol R-09 (plug-in power)

The R-09 has an 8 gig SD card in it and can record at 24/44.1 for 8hrs 23min and it sounds amazing.  There's a recording on DIME of this rig that I highly recommend listening to if you want to hear what it sounds like.  If you want a better rig that sounds even better, use this:

Countryman B3 (in binaural configuration mounted on a hat) > Sony PCM-D50

Examples of this rig can be heard at www.soundmann.com

The DIME recording with my rig can be found at: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=227499
Portable 2 track:
Sennheiser MKE2 (HRTF) > Edirol R-09
AT822 > Edirol R-09
Studio Projects C4 (ORTF/XY) > Presonus Firepod > Edirol R-09

4 Track Open Rig:
Studio Projects C4 (ORTF)/FOH Feed > Edirol R4

FOH:
Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro > dbx 215 Graphic EQ > Behringer PMX2000 (Power Amp Section) > Behringer B1220 Mains

Multitrack:
Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro > Tascam DA-38 w/Burr Brown Op-amps

Out:
M-Audio Fast Track Pro > Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro > ESI nEar05 nearfields OR AKG K99 Headphones

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 01:46:11 AM »
OK, I've just got a pair of Chris Church's CAFS (tiny omnis).  I haven't recorded music, yet, but ambient recordings sound great!  Now this is a great rig: CAFS > SonyPCM-D50 (plug in power).  Stay tuned...

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Offline Falconidave

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "I went to too many concerts" said no one ever!
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 02:16:47 AM »
OK, I've just got a pair of Chris Church's CAFS (tiny omnis).  I haven't recorded music, yet, but ambient recordings sound great!  Now this is a great rig: CAFS > SonyPCM-D50 (plug in power).  Stay tuned...

Richard

Now that's what I'm waitin' for Richard.  My CAFS are en route from Chris.  I just taped Foreigner tonight with a set of CA-14 cards > CA Ugly > Sony PCM-D50.  It sounds very nice.  I will be upping to DIME in the morning for anyone interested. 
Link added:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=231140

David
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 04:34:14 AM by Falconidave »
Mics: Schoeps MK41; AT853(3-wire)(c,o); AT943(3-wire)(c,o); AT933(3-wire)(c,o); Shure 185(c); Sony ECM-166BMP (o); Sony ECM-166BC (c).
Interconnects: NBob Actives
Preamps: BabyNbox v2
Recorders: Sony PCM-A10(2); Sony PCM-M10; Edirol R-09HR; Sony MZ-RH1
Video: Panasonic HDC-TM700 HD; Panasonic Lumix GX85; Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS100; Canon PowerShot SX50 HD; Sony DSC-HX50V

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 02:46:58 AM »

Richard

Will be interested to hear your opinion and samples to compare with your other lav recordings.  Do the CAFS roll off at the bottom a bit?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 09:46:57 AM »

Richard

Now that's what I'm waitin' for Richard.  My CAFS are en route from Chris.  I just taped Foreigner tonight with a set of CA-14 cards > CA Ugly > Sony PCM-D50.  It sounds very nice.  I will be upping to DIME in the morning for anyone interested. 
Link added:

David
Plug the mics directly into the recorder (plug in power).  No need for a preamp in front of the Sony!

Richard

Offline barrettphisher

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 10:52:19 AM »
Hi,

I did a good deal of taping a few years back but haven't really don't much in the last 4-5 years unfortunately.  I've been thinking about getting back into the hobby but haven't been following the development of new hardware.  I was hoping someone on the board could offer up some ideas or suggestions for me - hardware models, websites, etc.

My interests:

- when using my own mics, the system needs to be very portable.  I had CSB's a few years ago and I'm thinking something like that.
 - the ultimate aim is to get it into my macbook, it'd be great to record directly to some sort of memory card and be able to easily dump it onto my hard drive
 - i'd like to be able to patch into other tapers' rigs at concerts if needed
 - i'm not too concerned about being able to work with a soundboard, I've got a DA-P1 and V3 that I could use for that if I really wanted to

Really, I've found that my favorite tapes and taping experiences have been little side-stage type stuff that I just wandered into and recorded with my CSB's.  It'd be great to have a setup where the mics were on a hat and I could just hit record if I happen upon something cool.

I still have a DA-P1 (nearly brand new), Lunatech V3 and a pair of DPA 4021's.  That setup sounded great but tended to be such a hassle to tote around that it soured me on taping in the end.  What's the value of that equipment these days?  Do people even have interest in DATs anymore?

Anyway, I'd appreciate any help, pointers, etc that anyone can provide me.  Thanks very much!

Just get yourself a Microtrack 2 and DVD batts for the V3 and you can fit your current rig in a small bag.  Other than getting a new chip for the V3 and Microtrack to work it's a quick easy fix for less than 300.  If it aint broke don't fix it.  Just my 0.02.
Barrett
Mics: ADK A51 TL's C12s, at853's (card, hyper, sub, and omni caps), Michael Joly Premium Electronics Modded Oktava mk012s (Card, Hyper and Omni caps), Busman BSC1 Stereo Kit, and Oktava 319.
Pres: V3 opti/M-S Modded, BM2p+ UA5, church audio 9100, 3 wire BB
Recorders:  Busman Mod Tascam DR-680, ACM HD-P2, HD-P2, MT2 x2, D50, M10, JB3 x2, M1, D8

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 11:20:19 AM »

Richard

Link added:

David
Plug the mics directly into the recorder (plug in power).  No need for a preamp in front of the Sony!

Richard

I am also running CA-14's into a D50, but I need the 9100 for gain.  I am finding that I am running +20 on the 9100 and then using the gain on the D50 (to about "5") to get decent levels running 24/48.  This would be for rock shows.  I'd be a little timid to just run with plug-in power.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.109 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com