Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help with soundboard  (Read 3695 times)

Offline alexburatti

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Help with soundboard
« on: May 03, 2010, 03:55:28 PM »
I taped a show from the desk last night   http://www.sendspace.com/file/nnqlou  sample.

It has come out slightly distorted, any ideas how to clean it up please

Alex

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
Re: Help with soundboard
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 07:11:50 PM »
My guess is something brickwalled, and I doubt there is anything you can do to clean it up.  It's possible the signal coming in to your recorder was hotter than it could take, or it's even possible that the whole show was distorted in the board, but it was so freakin' loud that the sound guy couldn't even tell (I've seen it happen).

What were you using for a recorder? (brand/model)
How were you running it?  (mic in/line in/digi in)
What did you have the gain set to on your recorder?
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline alexburatti

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 04:07:43 PM »
What were you using for a recorder? (brand/model)  Zoom h2
How were you running it?  (mic in/line in/digi in) line in via xlr
What did you have the gain set to on your recorder  80

I taped Ash through the soundboard and this was ok apart from one song. The show was loud, Luckly i filmed the show so the camera sound should be ok

Offline SmokinJoe

• uploads to archive.org
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 04:54:17 PM »
By the way... I DID open up your sample in Audacity and look at it before I commented the first time.  The quiet parts of your sample are clear and the loud parts are all "smooshed together" for lack of a proper term.  Heavily compressed is probably a good term.

The H2 has an AGC/Compressor/limiter option.   I suspect that was on.  If you crank the gain with that turned on, that can lead to that sort of compression.  I did that once when I first got my R4...  you crank the gain to bring up the meters, but the meters don't climb, so you are just adding a ton of compression.  Turn that off, and leave it off. 

Offline alexburatti

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 04:50:21 PM »
I just looked at my recorder, it was turned off, i uspect the guy on the sound desk had the levels on his recorder at full, mine was on 80, I guess it i turned it down to 60 then it may not of distorted.

Alex

Offline SmokinJoe

• uploads to archive.org
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 05:51:34 PM »
If it were me, I would turn off that limiter and leave it off, because YOU want to be in control of the levels.  Like I said... I flipped what switch by accident once on my recorder... then I put tape over it to make sure I would never make that mistake again.  That was 2 years ago, and I've never touched it again.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 05:52:33 PM »
I just looked at my recorder, it was turned off, i uspect the guy on the sound desk had the levels on his recorder at full, mine was on 80, I guess it i turned it down to 60 then it may not of distorted.

NO! The record level control on the H2 comes after the Analog to Digital Converter (a very poor design). If you have it set to low sensitivity and must turn the record level below 100 to keep the meters from going over 0 dB, you will just be recording a distorted signal at a lower level. The only way to avoid distortion in this case is to use an attenuator between the sound board and the H2 with enough attenuation that the H2's meter's stay below 0 DB when the record level is kept at 100. My Zoom H4 is the same way. I hate Zoom products, although the H4n is supposed to have this issue corrected.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline alexburatti

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 12:34:28 PM »
hey, where would i get a Attenuator Cable to fix this problem?, i live in the uk as well.

alex

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 01:16:09 PM »
hey, where would i get a Attenuator Cable to fix this problem?, i live in the uk as well.

alex

http://store.microphonemadness.com/mmatatcab.html
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 03:06:10 PM »
if you get a soundboard that is distorted there is probably nothing you can do to fix it. i have had that happen to me a few times. one time i had the recording level set to like 1 or 2 out of 10, on line-in, and it still came out badly distorted -- the signal coming from the board was just too hot and there's nothing i could've done to fix it on my end.

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 03:55:15 PM »
The only way to avoid distortion in this case is to use an attenuator between the sound board and the H2 with enough attenuation that the H2's meter's stay below 0 DB when the record level is kept at 100.

Well, there is one other thing you can do - get the feed from the sbd turned down.  This is always preferred to using an attenuator, although having a pair of attenuators is not a bad plan, as you can't always get the feed turned down or don''t want to bother the FOH person.
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 04:00:43 PM »
if you get a soundboard that is distorted there is probably nothing you can do to fix it. i have had that happen to me a few times. one time i had the recording level set to like 1 or 2 out of 10, on line-in, and it still came out badly distorted -- the signal coming from the board was just too hot and there's nothing i could've done to fix it on my end.

With most recorders, the position of the level knob has little to do with whether a hot feed will be distorted or not.  Rule of thumb - if you have to turn the levels down anywhere below ~50% to get the levels where you want (i.e. lower than 5 on a 1-10 knob), your feed is probably too hot and you should get the feed turned down.  Even though you may set the levels where you want them on the db scale, you're still quite likely getting a clipped/distorted recording as the hot incoming feed is overloading your deck and this occurs before the signal gets to your record level controls.
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com