Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Any other Shure preamps?  (Read 3337 times)

zowie

• Trade Count: (0)
Any other Shure preamps?
« on: October 06, 2005, 08:09:43 PM »
I noticed that Shure has pretty extensive present and past lines of portable preamps (usually called mixers) in addition to the FP24 made by Sound Devices that run on batteries.  Is there any intelligence on whether any of their other units are good for taping? I guess I'm mostly wondering about sound quality, since I can see the features, size, etc. for myself.

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: Any other Shure preamps?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 10:47:34 PM »
I noticed that Shure has pretty extensive present and past lines of portable preamps (usually called mixers) in addition to the FP24 made by Sound Devices that run on batteries.  Is there any intelligence on whether any of their other units are good for taping? I guess I'm mostly wondering about sound quality, since I can see the features, size, etc. for myself.

You've probably been seeing a lot of these going onsale at Ebay, right?  I saw stuff at "avforsale".  Like four and six channel mixers, with and without level meters.  My take on these (and from perusing the Shure docs) is that they are designed for classic commercial PA systems, and not for recording.  They often only supply 12 or 24V phantom too.  I'm open to ideas though.  These go for *real* cheap, especially in batch sales.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

zowie

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 11:37:12 AM »
There were a ton for a while on ebay, a more moderate amount now.  I think the classic PA units are generally AC, not battery.  I think some of the battery units may be designed for the pro video markets, which means they may have some potential for music use.

Offline MattH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 07:51:42 PM »
FP-11 is the one you should look for. Works especially good with AKG mics.
mics: Soundfield ST450, JW mod Milab VIP-50's, Milab VM-44 Links (Matched Cards, Matched S-Cards), BR mod Nak 700's
pre's: Audio Developments AD 066(11), V2, Littlebox, Tinybox, Reutelhuber
recorders: Sonosax SX-R4, Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Tascam DR-2, Mackie DL32R
playback: Teac UD-501 DAC > Meyer Sound

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 12:26:01 PM »
FP-11 is the one you should look for. Works especially good with AKG mics.

So this could be an inexpensive way to warm up my jw 460's? I take it these are discontinued and I would need 2. FP11's>V3 might warm things up. Reason for my FP24, MP2 post was to find an inexpensive pre to run in front of my V3 without going nuts and broke looking for a M148 or psp2. I just don't need the lights on the FP24 or MP2, but it's the transformer based pre that will warm things up?

Offline MattH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 09:57:27 PM »
FP11's are single channel pre's that need phantom boxes in front of them. A great combo is AKG 460's> Stewart BPS-1's> Shure FP11's> A/D.

ts, when are you getting the CK68 short guns?
mics: Soundfield ST450, JW mod Milab VIP-50's, Milab VM-44 Links (Matched Cards, Matched S-Cards), BR mod Nak 700's
pre's: Audio Developments AD 066(11), V2, Littlebox, Tinybox, Reutelhuber
recorders: Sonosax SX-R4, Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Tascam DR-2, Mackie DL32R
playback: Teac UD-501 DAC > Meyer Sound

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 04:56:57 PM »
FP11's are single channel pre's that need phantom boxes in front of them. A great combo is AKG 460's> Stewart BPS-1's> Shure FP11's> A/D.

ts, when are you getting the CK68 short guns?

No guns for me. As far as the FP11's, finding them will be a problem, but I thought they provided phantom. See my above thread. I'm looking into the SD MP1 and the Shure FP23. Too bad there not one unit, but they're transformer based pre's, so they should be what I'm after sound wise. Yes or no?

Edit: OK, I see the FP11 doesn't provide phantom. http://media.musicalplanet.com/pdf/SHU170.PDF. So that should make the FP23 even better. Yea or nay?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 05:00:37 PM by ts »

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 05:31:52 PM »
have you thought about taking a line out to the grace and running v3 > mod-sbm1?

i think that would be better than running the mp2/fp24. of course this would not work if you need to record 24bit

edit to add: i have actually done this to patch out of a v3 from someone who was running 24bit, but i could only record 16bit at the time. results were good. i run v2>mod sbm-1 now and like the results
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 05:37:40 PM by Chris K »
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com