Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Do You LISTEN to Your Tapes?  (Read 8397 times)

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • god-damned hippies!
Re:Do You LISTEN to Your Tapes?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2004, 10:54:32 PM »
Yeah, it is. I want that receiver, but the dough is in limbo.
Imagine, Armen having a use for 24 bit recordings... ;)

Offline sexymexi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2004, 11:38:24 PM »
i listen to my tapes whenever i have time.  I should put some good ones on right now, my ulu stage tape is sick, its my current favorite tape i have.
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2004, 02:37:12 AM »
i usually listen to the shows i tape at least once or twice, granted i tape every single show my friends play and usually only listen to those once while i split them.  Taping them just about every weekend allows for lots of recordings, but when they have a really good set and i bet a nice recording i'll listen to it a lot more.  Most of the other shows i tape i listen to several times but after a month or so they usually go on the shelf cuz i'm bored with them, but i go back to them in time.

As for all the shows i download that i don't actually tape, well, i have to admit, i download more shows than i have time to listen to.  My friends tell me i'm just collecting mana points and that i'm a level 37 dungeon master.  i think thats a good thing.  either way, i think to myself, one day i might not have the opportunity to download shows so i should get them now so i have them in the future.

Plus think how cool it'll be to share these with your kids when they get older.  

ed

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2004, 08:28:04 AM »
since i archive a lot of festivals, i listen to the stuff i would have paid to go see.  the early thursday/friday stuff, band contest winners, really don't get much play from me unless theyreally make an impression, ie. railroad earth

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2004, 11:04:14 AM »
I've only been taping a year and a half and I have about 30 masters. The better ones get listened to on a regular basis when I B&P them for people.

I'm planning a big give-away of CDRs I no longer have any wish to listen to, and my official CDs often end up on ebay, to try and raise more cash for show tickets.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2004, 11:14:13 AM »
im not gonna lie, alot of it goes untouched, but i mainly listen to the stuff ive recorded, to see what i can do better next time......but i have everything i have "just in case" i wanna hear that destiny, or that phat bathtub, or that really good band from the jamgrass......(which happens to be sam bush from 02) 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2004, 12:10:32 PM »
I immediately listen to every Oade and Rolling Stones source I receive - and I listen to those sources repeadtedly. ditto for the Jerry AUD sources that my buddy Joe turns me pn to...

I try to listen to everything else...

I definitely scour my own recordings BEFORE I release them, looking for errors...

I cant find the time to listen to everyting I d/l, but I have 400+gigs of harddrives scatterred around my home network, so it is all stored, and I will get to it someday, but man, I have no idea if I will ever see some of this stuff again, so I pull as much as I can...

had a hd go on me the other week, and dont remember what was on it (except a bitchin X show from the early 80s that I have no idea of how to find now)...

anyone here know how to build a RAID..? that is definitely my next project...

« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 12:11:13 PM by macdaddy »
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2004, 12:12:21 PM »
oh yeah - I make it a point to listen to Noah's transfers of Grateful Dead AUDs, as well
-macdaddy ++

jpschust

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2004, 12:46:16 PM »
you know, a more interesting question would be "How do you listen to/evaluate your tapes"

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2004, 02:53:25 AM »
400gigs, wow, i'd hate to back that up to disc, even if it was all dvdr.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2004, 11:35:14 AM »
that is why I am looking to figure out how to build a RAID, and then hopefully I can transfer it all over the LAN...
_____

Oh as for the question about how do I listen...

soundcard > DIY cat5 interconnects > modded JoLida 302a tube amplifier (matched quad of eh EL34 and pair of eh 12ax7 and pair of 12AT7) >> monster cable (heaviest gauge) > Klipsch Heresy loudspeakers.

all controlled via learning remote (which learns from an airboard)

foobar2000 is the media player of choice.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 11:36:26 AM by macdaddy »
-macdaddy ++

Offline mattb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2004, 05:18:42 PM »
that is why I am looking to figure out how to build a RAID, and then hopefully I can transfer it all over the LAN...
_____

Oh as for the question about how do I listen...

soundcard > DIY cat5 interconnects > modded JoLida 302a tube amplifier (matched quad of eh EL34 and pair of eh 12ax7 and pair of 12AT7) >> monster cable (heaviest gauge) > Klipsch Heresy loudspeakers.

all controlled via learning remote (which learns from an airboard)

foobar2000 is the media player of choice.

RAIDs are easy. You can go hardware or if you use Win2k server you can do it in the OS. Hardware is better if you can afford it.

So you have to reformat to do this, but basically for redundancy, you want to go RAID 5. That requires a minimum of 3 HDs of equal size and you subtract 1 HD's worth of space which gets used for overhead.

I've done it with SCSI RAID controllers, but there are also ATA and SATA RAID controllers that would be a lot more affordable.

In the BIOS of the raid controller you set up a logical volume, that is three or more (if using RAID level 5) drives. This logical volume is seen by the OS as one physical drive. With the right drivers and utilities from the controller mfgr you can manage it from Windows or Linux.

So you have these three (or more) drives, let's say 80 Gig for example. You get a logical volume at RAID 5 of 160 Gig and any one of the drives could fail and you lose nothing and the system stays up. If running a monitor utility it should let you know your RAID is degraded and what drive died. Then, when you can you swap the drive for a new one and tell the utility to sync up the new one and you're redundant again. Some conrtoller/drive combos allow hot-swapping, but that costs more. PM me if you want more specifics - I've done it a bunch.
AT933s (C/H/O) > AT8531s > UA-5 > H120 (Rockboxed)

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2004, 06:14:32 PM »
RAID 1 would be much more practical and cheaper.
only 2 drives in a mirrored config....has the fastest read performance of all RAID options(write is average)

RAID 5(or 3) is kind of overkill just for backups like what he is talking about...not to mention the slowest of all RAID's performance wise

the water's clean and innocent

jpschust

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2004, 06:16:20 PM »
which is the fastest out of the raid series?  5?  i havent looked at this stuff in so long.  

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2004, 06:17:38 PM »
which is the fastest out of the raid series?  5?  i havent looked at this stuff in so long.  

for read or write?
for reading, RAID 1(mirroring)
for writing, RAID 0(striped)

« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 06:18:52 PM by luvean »

the water's clean and innocent

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.177 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com