Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What's up with my AT853's?  (Read 3900 times)

Offline Zaphod

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
What's up with my AT853's?
« on: May 22, 2004, 07:07:11 PM »
So I recently aquired a pair of AT853's. They were former choir mics. They have been terminated to a 1/8" miniplug.

I plugged them into my MD to test them out, and the first thing I noticed was that when the cables are touched, it introduces noise into the recording. If the cables are touched by anything it makes noise on the recording.

Now I figure that these mics must not have enough shielding in the cable to prevent such noise. Since these were choir mics they must have been hung and not touched. But since I am not in a choir group as it sits these things seem useless for steath purposes, or even stand for that matter.

Anyone have some suggestions?
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re:What's up with my AT853's?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2004, 07:16:29 PM »
So I recently aquired a pair of AT853's. They were former choir mics. They have been terminated to a 1/8" miniplug.

I plugged them into my MD to test them out, and the first thing I noticed was that when the cables are touched, it introduces noise into the recording. If the cables are touched by anything it makes noise on the recording.

Now I figure that these mics must not have enough shielding in the cable to prevent such noise. Since these were choir mics they must have been hung and not touched. But since I am not in a choir group as it sits these things seem useless for steath purposes, or even stand for that matter.

Anyone have some suggestions?

most logical scenario would be the wiring (1/8" termination) was done improperly.

the AT mini cables, although small, is well shielded with braided copper and foil shields.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2004, 07:20:16 PM »
I am hoping that the termination is the problem. That's an easy fix.

I don't know for sure until I take them in to the local audio shop on Monday.

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2004, 09:14:22 PM »
After reading your post it sounds like you are referring to handling noise, on cards you can hear more handling noise.  When you get into a loud situation the signal beats out the handling noise.  In low noise situations, you can hear handling noise, nature of the type of cap.  As to not being usefull even on a stand, I have to disagree, just made a recording with the white set that I have and its sounds awesome!  If you aren't happy with em, send em back and I will refund ya what you paid.  Sound fair?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 09:21:18 PM by mikesus »
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2004, 09:41:21 PM »
Since this is the first set of cards I've had I cannot compare them with anything else.

To me, it just seems like they shouldn't do that. Maybe I am wrong, but to have noise introduced into a recording just by touching the cable seems odd.

I have yet to record a show with them, so I can't make a firm statement that they will be problematic when stealthing. I haven't had a chance to try them out at a show, just in low noise tests at home.

I'd like to get some other AT853 owners to chime in, maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2004, 09:45:10 PM »
With low signal you will hear it, check this thread,

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=18817;start=msg239037#msg239037

SP told him was normal... You aren't talking about static right?  Just noise from touching the cable? Right?
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2004, 09:58:41 PM »
Yeah its definetly not static. That's why I thought it might have been the cable shielding and not a ground problem.

I guess I'm just paranoid!  

Thanks Mike for the mics, now can give you +T's!

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2004, 10:06:08 PM »
Yeah its definetly not static. That's why I thought it might have been the cable shielding and not a ground problem.

Shielding would give you interference noise, or static if making a bad connection...  what you can do is make a small loop of the wire near the mic.  that can reduce the handling noise.  

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2004, 10:09:01 PM »

Shielding would give you interference noise, or static if making a bad connection...  what you can do is make a small loop of the wire near the mic.  that can reduce the handling noise.  

Best thing to do, turn your stereo up, try to record it.  See what it sounds like and if you get any noise...

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2004, 10:09:30 PM »
Can you elaborate on "make a small loop of the wire near the mic" I don't think I understand completely, what would interference noise be?

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2004, 10:30:39 PM »
If the shielding is bad you can get squealing, hetrodyne, pick up radio stations etc...  

For the loop, take a section of the wire near the mic and coil it, once.  That can isolate noise from further down the cable...

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2004, 11:27:27 PM »
After reading your post it sounds like you are referring to handling noise, on cards you can hear more handling noise.  When you get into a loud situation the signal beats out the handling noise.  In low noise situations, you can hear handling noise, nature of the type of cap.  As to not being usefull even on a stand, I have to disagree, just made a recording with the white set that I have and its sounds awesome!  If you aren't happy with em, send em back and I will refund ya what you paid.  Sound fair?

i was just thinking that.

When I did my a/d comparison, I had to turn up the gain louder than normal so I heard this "handling noise."  But as the music gets louder it becomes inaudiable.  With lower gain in concert situatiosn this noise won't be there.

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2004, 11:47:27 PM »
How is handeling noise defined?

1)The amount of noise generated by the microphones just being powered?

2)The noise being made when the microphones are touched?

Schwill, what you refer to seems to be the noise generated by the microphones being powered right?

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2004, 12:07:26 AM »
no, when I touched the cable i got this "handling noise"

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2004, 12:39:21 AM »
Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Sorry Mike for jumping to a uninformed conclusion in my intial post. Thanks for the info! +T's

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com