Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: is anyone using a smartphone w/ slim server?  (Read 1640 times)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
is anyone using a smartphone w/ slim server?
« on: August 21, 2007, 03:47:44 PM »
greetings.  Currently I'm using slim server and I can stream music to my work, and to basically anywhere in the world over broadband connection.  I'm wondering if there's a smart phone out there where I can do this.  Slim server is a web-based application, so I'm not worried about that.  I'm not familiar with a lot of smart phones, but this would need to have the ability to tune into a url.   I think it would be sweet to have access to my music anywhere I had cell connection.

tia
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: is anyone using a smartphone w/ slim server?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 05:17:35 PM »
greetings.  Currently I'm using slim server and I can stream music to my work, and to basically anywhere in the world over broadband connection.  I'm wondering if there's a smart phone out there where I can do this.  Slim server is a web-based application, so I'm not worried about that.  I'm not familiar with a lot of smart phones, but this would need to have the ability to tune into a url.   I think it would be sweet to have access to my music anywhere I had cell connection.

tia

I think it would be tricky bandwidth-wise...

I deal with this a bit at work, not on smart phones per-se but broadband network cards which run off the GPRS or CDMA networks... GPRS devices you get realistic throughput of 40Kbps (notice little b = bits), EDGE you get more like 120Kbs.  On Rev A CDMA networks you get upwards of 750kbps...

I'm not sure what the theorhetical limits are, but those are roughly what I'm seeing real world in NYC.  At any rate you'd probably have to figure out what the minimum amout of BW required is and go from there, but I'm going to assume Rev A CDMA is going to be a minimum requirement, which means Verizon Wireless or Sprint... from there you'll have to figure out if you can run softsqueeze on a smart phone.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re: is anyone using a smartphone w/ slim server?
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 06:28:17 PM »
thanks for the info.  You don't need softsqueeze, I use fubar and just have it tune into the location at which slimserver is running.  I have a palm, and all of the sftwr I've looked at doesn't tune into a url.

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com