Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 3-wire BB/ PS2  (Read 8237 times)

Offline slowblow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
3-wire BB/ PS2
« on: July 30, 2006, 01:07:40 PM »
sorry for the dummies question but i ask myself
i use sp-cmc-8>sp-spsb-6>mt.
i want to change the bb cause in high spl situations, i have some brickwall.
i read the 3-wire bb is a good idea to change the bb in high spl (i know i need change plug for a mini xlr output). a ps2 (phantom power) give 48 V power.how many Volt gives the 3-wire bb ? 9 V ? is it enough to not have brickwall ?
very sorry but i'm very newbie (in tape and in english ... :-[)
thanks for help me to understand

Offline MLKLuke

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • going going...but never GONE!
    • MLK Audio
Re: 3-wire BB/ PS2
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 02:41:18 PM »
hi,
well 3-wire BBox and PS2 gives the same power to the mics and they both work with a 9v battery inside. the only difference is in the balance of the mics outputs that is more accurate with PS2 (I read this somewhere...so if someone knows more about that please correct me or add some more infos!)

the main advantage of the 3-wire BBox is the size...much smaller than PS2, also because you don't need XLR adaptors (like Samson P4 for example), you just need to have mini XLR outputs on your mics and connect them to the bbox

a good advantage of PS2 is that it's much faster and easier to change the 9v battery so maybe it could be better for festivals or long recording sessions

at the beginning I used (and I still have) PS2 but I recently bought a 3-Wire BBox and I'm quite happy with that, my taping bag is not so heavy now  :P I think I will alternate them

here some pics:

www.mlk.altervista.org/ps23w_1.jpg

www.mlk.altervista.org/ps23w_2.jpg

www.mlk.altervista.org/ps23w_3.jpg
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 02:57:36 PM by MLKLuke »
MLK - Luke
Mics: Schoeps MK4+Nbob Actives / AT853 (H,C,SC) / DPA 4061
Power: Tinybox v2.5 / 3-Wire BBox / CA-9200 3W / CA-UBB
Recorders: R05 / R09HR / Pocketrak C24 / Tascam DR2D
My Recordings

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 02:47:59 PM »
Hi I am not trying to fluff my gear but I make a 3 wire preamp, with 00- or off to +20 db of gain it also incorporates my 4.7k resistor design to reduce distortion dramatically. The problem with the AT mics is they brickwall at a certain point. Even a battery box will not help you need to run the mics three wire and use a preamp with the mod I do and you will get all of the SPL handling you need and then some. I hate to fluff my gear but I know I have a solution for your problem please PM for details on price ECT if you’re interested.

Chris Church

i read the 3-wire bb is a good idea to change the bb in high spl (i know i need change plug for a mini xlr output). a ps2 (phantom power) give 48 V power.how many Volt gives the 3-wire bb ? 9 V ? is it enough to not have brickwall ?
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline slowblow

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 10:28:19 AM »
hi,
well 3-wire BBox and PS2 gives the same power to the mics and they both work with a 9v battery inside. the only difference is in the balance of the mics outputs that is more accurate with PS2 (I read this somewhere...so if someone knows more about that please correct me or add some more infos!)

the main advantage of the 3-wire BBox is the size...much smaller than PS2, also because you don't need XLR adaptors (like Samson P4 for example), you just need to have mini XLR outputs on your mics and connect them to the bbox

a good advantage of PS2 is that it's much faster and easier to change the 9v battery so maybe it could be better for festivals or long recording sessions

at the beginning I used (and I still have) PS2 but I recently bought a 3-Wire BBox and I'm quite happy with that, my taping bag is not so heavy now  :P I think I will alternate them

here some pics:

www.mlk.altervista.org/ps23w_1.jpg

www.mlk.altervista.org/ps23w_2.jpg

www.mlk.altervista.org/ps23w_3.jpg
many thanks for all the info my friend  ;)

Hi I am not trying to fluff my gear but I make a 3 wire preamp, with 00- or off to +20 db of gain it also incorporates my 4.7k resistor design to reduce distortion dramatically. The problem with the AT mics is they brickwall at a certain point. Even a battery box will not help you need to run the mics three wire and use a preamp with the mod I do and you will get all of the SPL handling you need and then some. I hate to fluff my gear but I know I have a solution for your problem please PM for details on price ECT if you’re interested.

Chris Church

pm sent

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 11:09:58 AM »
Hi I am not trying to fluff my gear but I make a 3 wire preamp, with 00- or off to +20 db of gain it also incorporates my 4.7k resistor design to reduce distortion dramatically

Chris could you help me to better understand this.    The 3-wire setup reduces distortion and lowers gain by +/- 5dB's?  The 4.7k resistor also reduces distortion and lowers gain by +/- 5dB's.  These two designs implemented into one seems like it is great for distortion, but bad for gain.  It seems like the 3-wire w/ the 4.7k design would not be good for recording anything but loud concerts?   Am I wrong?   So, do you offer a 3-wire box without the 4.7k?  It seems like you could have 2 product types, one standard 3-wire box for recording moderatly loud stuff and the 3-wire w/ 4.7k for recording rediculously loud stuff. 

BTW, i pm'ed you about something else.
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 01:21:51 PM »
I know this is slightly off topic, but after having gotten my AT831s modified, I got a MUCH bigger loss in gain than 6 dB. My mics were all of a sudden (after the 3-wire mod) more like 15 dB lower, running with the same recorder level settings. At least in my case, there's definitely no need to have both modifications performed.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 11:59:09 PM »
My new preamp has a bypass switch for the 4.7k resistor, so it can be bypassed and used without it. This will allow for the best of both worlds. Three wire does not lower gain by it self. It's just that with three wire you have the possibility to add a pad into the circuit, without having to do the old linkawitz mod to the 2 wire capsule that I feel reduces bass response but extends clipping levels. So it's give and take as is any approach to audio circuit design.

I feel I have come up with a pretty good preamp that seems to work well I have sold over 2,000 preamps now world wide. People seem to be pretty happy with them, but again my preamp does not solve every problem in every situation. No preamp does, but we listen to people like you and try and come up with things that make recording better/easyer Like a clip light I have been asked many many many times to make a clip light as part of my 9100 preamp, well now there is one in there. We did not just want to put a toy light in the preamp we wanted it to actually indicate distortion. It's hard to please everyone but because of people like you we are getting better. Thanks for your comments / interest.

Chris Church

Hi I am not trying to fluff my gear but I make a 3 wire preamp, with 00- or off to +20 db of gain it also incorporates my 4.7k resistor design to reduce distortion dramatically

Chris could you help me to better understand this.    The 3-wire setup reduces distortion and lowers gain by +/- 5dB's?  The 4.7k resistor also reduces distortion and lowers gain by +/- 5dB's.  These two designs implemented into one seems like it is great for distortion, but bad for gain.  It seems like the 3-wire w/ the 4.7k design would not be good for recording anything but loud concerts?   Am I wrong?   So, do you offer a 3-wire box without the 4.7k?  It seems like you could have 2 product types, one standard 3-wire box for recording moderatly loud stuff and the 3-wire w/ 4.7k for recording rediculously loud stuff. 

BTW, i pm'ed you about something else.

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 11:40:52 AM »
Not trying to take over this thread, but does a 3 wire box provide 48 volt phantom?

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 11:42:27 AM »
No just 9 volts for direct electret mic powering.

Not trying to take over this thread, but does a 3 wire box provide 48 volt phantom?

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006, 11:56:47 AM »
without having to do the old linkawitz mod to the 2 wire capsule that I feel reduces bass response but extends clipping levels

Does linkawitz mod = 4.7k mod  ?

If so how much bass respose is lost? 

Thanks! 

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2006, 12:27:49 PM »
The linkwitz mod is not what I do. I have developed a 4.7k mod that works with three wire capsules it resaults in no loss of bass and just about 5 db total loss in over all gain, but that is a small price to pay for less distortion my preamp more then makes up for the loss in gain and then some.

without having to do the old linkawitz mod to the 2 wire capsule that I feel reduces bass response but extends clipping levels

Does linkawitz mod = 4.7k mod  ?

If so how much bass respose is lost? 

Thanks! 

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2006, 05:13:00 PM »
Heh... I might be the first owner of the switchable 4.7k resistor mod... :)

Showing up in the mail soon I hope... :P
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 01:41:53 AM »
Chris (Church):

Are you saying your preamp has the 4.7k mod "built in" ???  I didn't think that was a possibility (whilst having mini-plug connector on mics, and mini-plug input on the mic power supply/preamp).

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 11:33:08 AM »
My three wire preamp the st-9100 does have that mod built in also my high end omni mics and cardioids have that same mod.

Chris (Church):

Are you saying your preamp has the 4.7k mod "built in" ???  I didn't think that was a possibility (whilst having mini-plug connector on mics, and mini-plug input on the mic power supply/preamp).

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 11:37:38 AM »
having the 4.7k mod in the preamp is only possible with a 3-wire mic/preamp.  with a mini-plug setup it must be done at the capsule, in the mic cable or in the mini plug.  doing it in the mini plug you only need 1 resistor because the mic cables come together.  this is better because you don't have to worry about matching the resistors, cutting/splicing the cables or screwing up the capsule.  it is very difficult to solder the resistor in the mini-plug though.  

Chris (Church):

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2006, 11:49:23 AM »
You should use two resistors for better seperation of left and right.

having the 4.7k mod in the preamp is only possible with a 3-wire mic/preamp.  with a mini-plug setup it must be done at the capsule, in the mic cable or in the mini plug.  doing it in the mini plug you only need 1 resistor because the mic cables come together.  this is better because you don't have to worry about matching the resistors, cutting/splicing the cables or screwing up the capsule.  it is very difficult to solder the resistor in the mini-plug though.  

Chris (Church):

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2006, 12:11:36 PM »
You should use two resistors for better seperation of left and right

yeah, I thought the same thing but the electronics guru that did the mod for me told me that 1 resistor was electronically identical to using two at the mini-plug. 

do you have more detailed explanation of why the separation is better with two?   

thanks chris, you rock!

fwiw, if I knew this 4.7 mod for my ATs was such a pain, I would  have bought the chris church cardiods instead. 

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2006, 01:15:08 PM »
Two capsules = two resistors even if ground is common the connection between the capsules is and should not be shared also the capsules change the value of the resistor in the circuit because its expecting to be loaded down by one capsule not two. All the distortion measurements I took were with one capsule I dont know exactly what two would do but I would always be on the safe side and build your mics like I do with two resistors.

You should use two resistors for better seperation of left and right

yeah, I thought the same thing but the electronics guru that did the mod for me told me that 1 resistor was electronically identical to using two at the mini-plug. 

do you have more detailed explanation of why the separation is better with two?   

thanks chris, you rock!

fwiw, if I knew this 4.7 mod for my ATs was such a pain, I would  have bought the chris church cardiods instead. 

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2006, 03:40:32 PM »
Okay, thanks for clearing that up, Chris.

I thought the 4.7k mod was only possible to do at the mic capsule, on the mic wire, or at the mini-plug end (just like windorabug stated), so I was confused about how you applied this modification in your battery boxes/preamp.

Thanks again for the clarification!

My three wire preamp the st-9100 does have that mod built in also my high end omni mics and cardioids have that same mod.

Chris (Church):

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2006, 03:46:57 PM »
Not a problem.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up, Chris.

I thought the 4.7k mod was only possible to do at the mic capsule, on the mic wire, or at the mini-plug end (just like windorabug stated), so I was confused about how you applied this modification in your battery boxes/preamp.

Thanks again for the clarification!

Chris (Church):

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 48 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com