Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: V3>SD 702: Double check my settings...  (Read 5652 times)

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Los Bulls!!!
V3>SD 702: Double check my settings...
« on: February 13, 2009, 11:49:07 AM »
Okay, so tonight is the first run using the V3>SD 702. I've got the cables, batteries and such. Hooked up everything and started it all up last night.

Settings for V3: I've set it for 96khz, the ANSR indicator light OFF for 24bit recording. Set the gain control for 20dB (just for starters), the trip all the way down so I can trim it up to where I need it. Phantom power off until I power up with everything connected.

SD 702: Mic line in, phantom power off, still record at 24/96, gain turned down all the way.

Starting up: Have everything connected. Using the analog out from the V3 to the analog in on the SD 702 (line in). Turn on power to V3>turn on phantom power to mics>turn on SD 702. Once recording starts, adjust gain on V3 till I hit the first amber light (-9dB), adjust trim knob as needed, adjust gain on SD 702 till the first red light is not lit but flash on occasion. I usually run the SD 702 gain up until the first red light just flashes once in a while but not constantly on.

Does this sound right?

Power down in reverse order.

Thanks for the help!

amaro
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
Re: V3>SD 702: Double check my settings...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 11:59:04 AM »
a few thoughts.  because you are running analog out of the V3, you can turn of the A/D in the V3 completely and save battery power (about 30% less power, if I recall correctly). 

edit to add: to turn the V3's A/D off, keep pushing hte frequency select button until the "off" LED is lit up.  it's the bottom LED.

For the 702, this thread is a great one to review:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,80074.0.html

in summary, you definitely want to run line-in on the 702.  if you run line-in at -5dB (with line-in, your gain range is from -6dB to +18dB), but if you set to -5dB line-in, the levels on the 702 will match the V3's level meters exactly.  Most people run line-in at 0dB, so your's levels on the 702 will be 5dB higher than the V3's level meters.  So if you peak at the first amber light on the V3 (-9dBfs), then the levels on the 702 will peak at -4dBfs.

I would set the 702 to whatever gain you want (most likely line-in at 0dB), and then don't touch the 702 dials.  adjust the V3 as neccessary.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 12:01:05 PM by JasonSobel »

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 12:29:43 PM »
Yep, I'd agree with what Jason said.

When I ran V3>702/722, I did as Jason suggested and ran line in at -5db.  There has been discussion and conjecture whether using the line in attenuation on the 702 degrades the signal at all, but I don't think anyone has really tested and evaluated it.  Personally, I just liked the simplicity of it, and I often ran a backup recording digital out of the V3 and didn't want to run that at lower gain.

If you do this -- line in at -5db -- your levels on the 702 will match your levels on the V3.  To set it up this way, you need to go to the 702 menu item for use front panel knobs or use sensitivity settings, and then choose sensitivity settings.  Then you need to go to the menu item that allows you to add gain or attenuate the line in settings, and set it for -5db (5db of attenuation).

At this point, you can run your V3 where you are most comfortable.  I generally run for peaks hitting most often at about -6db, and usually this will give me actually peaks during the whole set of about -3db or -2db.  Of course, it probably makes sense to run it cooler, but I have a hard time of unlearning old tricks of running things really hot (from my 16bit DAT days).
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 01:21:52 PM »

Settings for V3: I've set it for 96khz, the ANSR indicator light OFF for 24bit recording. Set the gain control for 20dB (just for starters), the trip all the way down so I can trim it up to where I need it.

Agreed on turning off the a/d section if you aren't using it...I noticed I was getting considerably more run time on my batteries when running analog out.

I put the trim dials in the middle to start out and almost always ran between 25-35 db gain for rock shows. Having the trim in the middle allows you to go up or down in the 10 db trim range either way. Starting with them all the way down only lets you go up from there and could result in more use of the stepped gain knobs to achieve the desired result.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 01:58:07 PM »

Settings for V3: I've set it for 96khz, the ANSR indicator light OFF for 24bit recording. Set the gain control for 20dB (just for starters), the trip all the way down so I can trim it up to where I need it.

I put the trim dials in the middle to start out and almost always ran between 25-35 db gain for rock shows. Having the trim in the middle allows you to go up or down in the 10 db trim range either way. Starting with them all the way down only lets you go up from there and could result in more use of the stepped gain knobs to achieve the desired result.

I agree with this too. Trims on the V3 at 12 oclock to start.

For the C-483's, if that's what you're running tonight. I *think* you'll want to start at -20 on the V3 for Mule. I'll have to check. But, I believe I started at -20db for moe a couple weeks ago at the Fillmore. I actually keep a journal of stuff like that, so I'll let you know when I see you.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline manitouman

• Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 05:29:30 PM »
Yep, I'd agree with what Jason said.

When I ran V3>702/722, I did as Jason suggested and ran line in at -5db.  There has been discussion and conjecture whether using the line in attenuation on the 702 degrades the signal at all, but I don't think anyone has really tested and evaluated it.  Personally, I just liked the simplicity of it, and I often ran a backup recording digital out of the V3 and didn't want to run that at lower gain.

If you do this -- line in at -5db -- your levels on the 702 will match your levels on the V3.  To set it up this way, you need to go to the 702 menu item for use front panel knobs or use sensitivity settings, and then choose sensitivity settings.  Then you need to go to the menu item that allows you to add gain or attenuate the line in settings, and set it for -5db (5db of attenuation).

At this point, you can run your V3 where you are most comfortable.  I generally run for peaks hitting most often at about -6db, and usually this will give me actually peaks during the whole set of about -3db or -2db.  Of course, it probably makes sense to run it cooler, but I have a hard time of unlearning old tricks of running things really hot (from my 16bit DAT days).

First of all thanks for all the help, it's really going to make this easier for me.

I'm trying to find where you set the SD at -5dB but don't see anything that says "sensitivity settings" and the only items from the menu that say anything about attenuation is #43. Output1 L,R: Attenuation, & #46. Output2 L,R: Attenuation.

I've got a feeling I'm in the wrong part. Shutting off the A/D on the V3 right now.

Offline manitouman

• Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 01:41:05 PM »
Found it! and man does it run like a well oiled machine. Settings were spot on and the lights were so pretty they brought a tear to the eye.

Thanks to all who made this maiden voyage a successful one. And yes, it does not hurt to refer back to the Sound Devices manual.

;D

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 02:25:53 PM »
better update that sig now! 
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline philR

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 02:29:02 PM »
Found it! and man does it run like a well oiled machine. Settings were spot on and the lights were so pretty they brought a tear to the eye.

Thanks to all who made this maiden voyage a successful one. And yes, it does not hurt to refer back to the Sound Devices manual.

;D

yes, all those lights sure are pretty.  glad it worked out for you, amaro!
Neumann AK40 > LC3KA > KM100 > V2 > 744t

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 02:39:01 PM »
but be careful, they attract spun out wookies.
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline manitouman

• Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 02:42:32 PM »
but be careful, they attract spun out wookies.

...and some were even wearing capes!

Sig updated!  ;D

Offline ghellquist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 08:09:00 AM »
And while you are at it, why not try using the built-in preamps of the 702. Run them conservatively, flickering amber lights and no reds, increase volume when home in whatever program you run. They aren't anywhere bad.

// Gunnar

Offline manitouman

• Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 02:49:15 PM »
Absolutely loving this combo! Thanks again for all the great information on settings and tips.

One more question: If I want to run the combo described above and plug in a MTII using the s/pdif coax from the V3 to the MTII, I will be using the MTII's a/d converter? Since I have the a/d turned off on the V3, running analog into the SD702 and using that a/d converter of the SD unit, I will be forced to use the a/d in the MTII when going digital out of the V3. Is this correct? Or because I have the a/d turned off on the V3, there is no digital out of the V3 because it's disabled.

Shit, I think I just confused myself... ::)

Offline hammerhorror

• Trade Count: (54)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Hey good lookin'
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 03:09:12 PM »
Absolutely loving this combo! Thanks again for all the great information on settings and tips.

One more question: If I want to run the combo described above and plug in a MTII using the s/pdif coax from the V3 to the MTII, I will be using the MTII's a/d converter? Since I have the a/d turned off on the V3, running analog into the SD702 and using that a/d converter of the SD unit, I will be forced to use the a/d in the MTII when going digital out of the V3. Is this correct? Or because I have the a/d turned off on the V3, there is no digital out of the V3 because it's disabled.

In the situation you have described above, you would need to turn the V3's A/D converter back on. That way,you would be going analog out of the V3 via the XLR outs to the SD 702's XLR inputs (set to line level), and s/pdif out from your V3 (which uses both the V3's preamp and a/d converters) into your MTII's s/pdif input. The MTII would only be used as a bit bucket (the s/pdif input on the MTII bypasses it's own preamp and a/d converters using the ones from whichever device is feeding it, in this case your V3).

Hopefully this makes sense. If not, feel free to send me a PM and I can try my best to explain it more clearly.

-John
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & MK41, AKG CK63 (Naiant Actives)

Preamps: Naiant KCY Littlebox

Recorders: Sound Devices 664, Sony PCM-M10

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 03:25:39 PM »
I used to set my v2/v3 to +20 or +25 on the v2/v3, and adjusted the 722 from there :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline manitouman

• Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 03:41:42 PM »

In the situation you have described above, you would need to turn the V3's A/D converter back on. That way,you would be going analog out of the V3 via the XLR outs to the SD 702's XLR inputs (set to line level), and s/pdif out from your V3 (which uses both the V3's preamp and a/d converters) into your MTII's s/pdif input. The MTII would only be used as a bit bucket (the s/pdif input on the MTII bypasses it's own preamp and a/d converters using the ones from whichever device is feeding it, in this case your V3).

Hopefully this makes sense. If not, feel free to send me a PM and I can try my best to explain it more clearly.

-John

I think I follow, I'm still running analog out to the SD702 because of the outputs from the V3 to the inputs of the SD 702. So even if I have the a/d "on" in the V3, I'm still sending an analog signal to the SD 702. The only way I'll send a digital signal to the SD 702 is via the digital output, which I'm going to use the MTII for. Does this sound about right?

You know once I sit and actually look at what I'm asking it's pretty much a no-brainer. Analog to analog and digital to digital. Can't do digital out to analog inputs, correct?

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 07:22:57 PM »
think of it this way...

if the a>d converter section is turned on every output on the V3 is active.
The analog outs , the coax out and the xlr aes out. You can use them all or in any combination.

I'm just spitballing here but with the addition of a aes>s/pdif converter you could run four channels off the same clock

run mics> v3> aes to s/pdif> MT
run the spdif output on the V3 to 702 and sync clock to s/pdif
run 2 more channels into 702 (sbd patch or whatever)
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline manitouman

• Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 10:21:55 PM »
Much clearer on the subject now. Thanks Roger for the input. Tyler make it back okay? Let him know I've got some Galactic that I have no clue how to track or name a setlist.

Take care!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.135 seconds with 46 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com