Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: is there much difference amplifying the audio post show?  (Read 2250 times)

Offline kylieshotpants

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
is there much difference amplifying the audio post show?
« on: April 04, 2009, 10:26:22 AM »
Hi

at the moment for loud shows I use
mini disc
line in to 9v batt box to binaural microphone

I know that buying a preamplifer will boost the finished sound

what I was wondering could I use it when I get home and upload the show to the computer and get a fairly similar result (for stealth reasons)

or would the difference be much better using it whilst recording the show?

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: is there much difference amplifying the audio post show?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 11:18:30 PM »
I believe that boosting the sound at the source is cleaner than recording air and boosting it post.  I try to get as close to 0db without going over, so on post, all I have to do is boost 20% post.  I am not a tech guy, this is episodic.
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 09:07:45 AM »
A good preamp will give you gain without adding noise.  If you boost a low signal in post you're boosting the noise also.  If you need more gain than you have now it would be better to have a preamp than to amplify a low signal in post.

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 02:07:02 PM »
in 24 bit, no... in 16 bit, possibly.  at least that is how i now understand it.

i would run my 16 bit recordings as hot as possible (peaking between -3dB and 0dB)... 24 bit i can boost in post if necessary (although i still shoot for -6dB peaks).
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 04:23:20 PM »
theres no simple answer, and yes you when you normalize in post, you also normalize the noise floor of the weakest link in the chain.

i use my setup (cmr>ad2k), peaking at -25 dB and do it all in post, and it works out fine as the noise floor of the ad2k is like -115db.

for your minidisc, the noise floor is probably -80 to -100 dB, so if you are post-normalizing more than 18dB you'll probably increase the audible noise, depending on the environment
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 02:30:04 PM »
i use my setup (cmr>ad2k), peaking at -25 dB and do it all in post, and it works out fine as the noise floor of the ad2k is like -115db.

Finally someone who recommends using basically the same system that I use. When recording in 24 bits it is insane to try to peak close to 0 dB. Too much danger of the some of the peaks clipping. For music with a big dynamic range, even aiming for peaks of -12 dB's could easily lead to clipping. Plus some tapers have reported that at least some recorders sound cleaner when their levels are not pushed too close to 0 dB even if they don't go over.

I never hear any audible noise when I boost 20-30 dB in post with a 24 bit recording and I don't spoil my enjoyment of the show by having to sweat my levels. And that is even with equipment as inexpensive as an ST-9100 > recorder's line in.

Most will disagree with this, but I have even made some 16 bit recordings that peaked at around -30 that sounded absolutely  wonderful when converted to 32 bit by Adobe Audition before doing the boosting. I didn't set the levels that low by design, but it came out sounding better than if I kept fooling with the levels while making the recording.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com