Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Church transformer based pre  (Read 84766 times)

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
Church transformer based pre
« on: February 11, 2007, 06:35:20 PM »
In regards to this comment in the aerco thread,

I will wait for someone else to start a new thread about my new preamp... I am not interested in starting one since I have been called out as some one that cares more about selling then helping users here.

Chris Church

I am starting this one.  Truely interested in hearing what you have got in mind.   :)

-Jon

Roving Sign

Re: Church transformer based pre
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 06:38:29 PM »
Do tell, Monsieur Church!!!

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 07:28:53 PM »
In regards to this comment in the aerco thread,

I will wait for someone else to start a new thread about my new preamp... I am not interested in starting one since I have been called out as some one that cares more about selling then helping users here.

Chris Church

I am starting this one.  Truely interested in hearing what you have got in mind.   :)

-Jon

I just want to make a really simple preamp with clip lights and a stepped attenuator it will have a burr brown opamp in its heart.. And a cinemag transformer for its input This is the Company that made Jensen transformers... I will make it so it operates from an external power supply 12 volts... The cost will be about $499 or so.. It will be a small metal case. with a locking power connector, and XLR input and RCA out and 3.5 mm out as well. I will make it as small as I can.. These are my thoughts so far, Simple signal path transformer based input. Maybe even have a transformer output option I am not sure yet. I will have a phase switch and 80hz high pass filter and a 20db pad.. That's what I am working on now my biggest challenge is getting the phantom supply to work right..
I might use Mini XLR connectors to save space and sell the preamp with adaptors to adapt mini XLR to full size XLR. Its all about size I want to shrink this thing down. I will have a prototype built with in the next 6 months. What type of 12 volt rechargeable batteries do you guys like to use? I want to build it around something that's out there and being used by tapers.

Chris Church
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 07:37:20 PM »
Can you do 9v DC input???  I think the 9v WalMart battery is pretty common...

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 07:40:12 PM »

T

9 volt is pushing it... I thought you guys were all using 12 volt batteries?

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 07:43:58 PM »
Sounds cool, Chris..... ;D
T+
Peace,
jk
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 07:58:11 PM »

T

I have both, but my 12v is a SLA...  I'm sure what the majority of those interested in this use, I just see that the 9v Walmart battery is pretty common and easy to find.

Small size is useful for stealth, so having a battery that is stealthy is also needed.  Not sure of a 12v option here.  Small size is also useful for weight in a bag for open-taping, but not needed.  I'm sure you thought of all this already...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 08:14:55 PM »

T

I have both, but my 12v is a SLA...  I'm sure what the majority of those interested in this use, I just see that the 9v Walmart battery is pretty common and easy to find.

Small size is useful for stealth, so having a battery that is stealthy is also needed.  Not sure of a 12v option here.  Small size is also useful for weight in a bag for open-taping, but not needed.  I'm sure you thought of all this already...

Terry

What about two 9 volt external batteries..

stirinthesauce

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 09:07:07 PM »

I would think one battery is better (easier to manage) than two if your talking about external.  12v should not be an issue with lightweight 12v lion batts now available. 

Of course I know nothing of designing anything other than a headache so I'm inclined to leave the details of your design to you  ;)

Roving Sign

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 09:14:29 PM »

12v should not be an issue with lightweight 12v lion batts now available. 

Hmmm...any links/examples - I'm needing a 12V...

Offline MarkF

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 09:17:44 PM »
Here is a 10-14volt battery I have used.  It is 8800mAh.
http://www.batterygeek.net/Portable_DVD_Player_Battery_p/10-14-88_batterygeek.htm

They also have other voltage models
open: SP C-4 > Bumblebee MiAGi-II Silver Cables > UA5 (T+ mod)> H120/JB3

not so open: Church Audio Cardoid mics > ST-9100 preamp > H120

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 09:56:16 PM »
$125 for a battery? I'd carry the lead instead.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

J.T.L

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 10:11:32 PM »
I am not interested in starting one since I have been called out as some one that cares more about selling then helping users here.

Chris Church

For what it's worth I thank you for the time you put in to make quality gear for us. Don't ever feel like you shouldnt promote yourself or the work you do. I'd rather have gear made by someone who knows and tailors their gear toward our narrow end of the audio spectrum. Keep it up Chris!

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 10:30:58 PM »
I am not interested in starting one since I have been called out as some one that cares more about selling then helping users here.

Chris Church

For what it's worth I thank you for the time you put in to make quality gear for us. Don't ever feel like you shouldnt promote yourself or the work you do. I'd rather have gear made by someone who knows and tailors their gear toward our narrow end of the audio spectrum. Keep it up Chris!

Yep I agree...T+......I pm'd you a couple of months ago about doing something like this...Its great to see you trying it....I just wish someone could teach me how to do this.  I would love to learn.
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2007, 10:48:41 PM »
Well, before this discussion got moved to its own thread (which is good), I had suggested external power, and the alternate suggestion, of an attached 3 x 9V power box, instead of putting the batteries inside.  Personally, I think you should stick with full size XLR ins, as they are the most common, and avoids that "one more cable" issue.  Me personally, I would love to see something with some really good meters on it.  Missing my Tascam meters terrribly. +T for your ongoing work.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com