Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Church transformer based pre  (Read 84759 times)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Church transformer based pre
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2007, 10:13:56 AM »

a cheap 148 is what this crowd wants.  everything else is already available.

Yeah, I've been thinking that as well.  The 2 main needs I see is good price/performance level in a stealth level preamp, or a lower cost/higher availability transformer pre (m148).

On the transformer pre side you've got the Neve portico ($$$), or you've got the m148/PSP2/Aerco MP2, none of which are too easy to come by.  Then you've got the SD MP2/mixpre which isn't the best sounding transformer pre around.  So the transformer realm seems like a market.

If you start to go into full size/full functionality, you've either got to top or compete with the high-end pres -- V2/V3, portico, MMP, etc.  Or you need to provide more value and price/performance capabilities than the mod UA5's, and for that matter the ACM 671 and ACM HDP2.

Which seems to leave room for a modUA5 type of preamp that is in a stealth size, not full size, ie, good performance and value in a small size package.  What's there now -- Sonosax, SD MP2, Aerco MP2, Nbox, JKLabs DVC, PSP2/PSP3, what else?  Seems like these are either hard to come by or not meeting expectations.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2007, 11:04:03 AM »

a cheap 148 is what this crowd wants.  everything else is already available.

Yeah, I've been thinking that as well.  The 2 main needs I see is good price/performance level in a stealth level preamp, or a lower cost/higher availability transformer pre (m148).

On the transformer pre side you've got the Neve portico ($$$), or you've got the m148/PSP2/Aerco MP2, none of which are too easy to come by.  Then you've got the SD MP2/mixpre which isn't the best sounding transformer pre around.  So the transformer realm seems like a market.

If you start to go into full size/full functionality, you've either got to top or compete with the high-end pres -- V2/V3, portico, MMP, etc.  Or you need to provide more value and price/performance capabilities than the mod UA5's, and for that matter the ACM 671 and ACM HDP2.

Which seems to leave room for a modUA5 type of preamp that is in a stealth size, not full size, ie, good performance and value in a small size package.  What's there now -- Sonosax, SD MP2, Aerco MP2, Nbox, JKLabs DVC, PSP2/PSP3, what else?  Seems like these are either hard to come by or not meeting expectations.

I am using the same company as Aerco, They are very easy to come by and I have used them in the past..I just found out that they actually made transformers for Jensen who actually do not make there own transformers they just stamp there name on them.. Very interesting.. Its not hard to source transformers but they take a huge chunk out of the circuit costs.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

marc0789

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2007, 11:12:41 AM »
Personally, I think the demand is largelyfor a lower cost, easier to come by fixed gain small internally powered transformer based preamp, no bells and whistles needed. No hpf, meters, just on/off and maybe a battery meter...maybe not. Basically, an eaa that you can actually get without flammable battery cage . I run a 148, and I'd only be interested in this thing if stealthable :P

Offline baustin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2007, 01:38:17 PM »
4 Channels!  ;D

Boy would I love to be able to afford the SD 442 ( http://www.sounddevices.com/products/442master.htm ). I think if it sounded nice enough there are quite a few who may have an interest is this.

Regardless, I think this (the 2 channel) sounds like a great idea.

Specs that would appeal to me:
-XLR input
-Mini-XLR or RCA out
-Variable gain via knobs, not switches
-Clipping indicator with maybe a bit of leeway (3db or so)
-External Power with locking ability and a range of voltages
-48v phantom power (why not always on? save room for an on/off switch)

Wish I knew how to do this stuff!

-ba

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2007, 02:49:11 PM »
ahhh...
(for concert taping), you guys will eventually come to the conclusion that 4chan AUD recordings suck...especially when its all getting "mudded down" to two to begin with.
I did a lot of 4 channel stuff in the past.  my absolute best doestn' touch the good two channel recordings i've made/heard from others.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2007, 03:06:32 PM »
ahhh...
(for concert taping), you guys will eventually come to the conclusion that 4chan AUD recordings suck...especially when its all getting "mudded down" to two to begin with.
I did a lot of 4 channel stuff in the past.  my absolute best doestn' touch the good two channel recordings i've made/heard from others.

I tend to agree on the four microphones, but I have heard some very nice SBD/ microphone recordings that where done with four channels. Doug Oade made a four microphone mix for a GD Greek Theatre or was it in Kansas City show? Folks used to rav over it, as being the best recording ever... Anyway, I always wondered what the fuss was about. That one doesn't touch his two channel recordings.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2007, 03:40:38 PM »
Maybe you're just no good at it, Nick. ;)

j/k.  I may well come to the same conclusion, but I've got a lot more experimenting before I'm ready to commit to that.  So far, most of with most of my attempts, I've liked the 2 channel version better.  But I'm set up to get both my usual 2ch, plus a 4ch mix, so I'm out nothing but the effort for trying.  I've done one Trey show where I much prefer my 4ch mix to the 2ch of the same show.  And I'm really hoping I can get an outdoor 4mic mix of center cards + split omnis I like.  I've just never been completely happy with the loss of soundstage detail of omni recordings, but I love the spaciousness of them.  Hoping I can dial in that perfect mix of detail from the card pair and spaciousness from the split omnis.

Who knows, it may never happen, but just throwing up a DIN card pair and hitting record is getting a bit boring.  Have to shake things up a bit! :)
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2007, 04:00:02 PM »
that thought crossed my mind.
then again, I was never able to do it right.  IMO, that would be a very FOB stereo pair, and a pair of flanking omni's farther back.
but ... not worth the trouble for me.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2007, 07:43:26 PM »
you guys will eventually come to the conclusion that 4chan AUD recordings suck...especially when its all getting "mudded down" to two to begin with.

So far, I've enjoyed most of my 4-ch recordings better than either 2-ch source alone.  I've found its absolutely key to run the center pair coincident, as this seems to cut down on phasing issues.  Also far prefer LDs as the center with SDs near-coincident or split;  really don't care for the results the other way around.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 08:00:35 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2007, 08:11:35 PM »
I am using the same company as Aerco

does Reichenbach have a web page yet?

edit: Is it now CineMag?  I think that is his kids company.  The aerco I have is ancient and the cans are labeled Reichenbach.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 08:25:50 PM by Lil' Kim Jong-Il »
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2007, 09:11:28 PM »
I am using the same company as Aerco

does Reichenbach have a web page yet?

edit: Is it now CineMag?  I think that is his kids company.  The aerco I have is ancient and the cans are labeled Reichenbach.
Cinemag is Reichenbach same company......Tom Reichenbach is the owner of Cinemag.......

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2007, 02:51:19 AM »
Chris, I think you should stick with the 2-ch idea.  If it is affordable enough, and you want 4-ch, then buy 2 of 'em!

Personally, I like standard panel-mount xlr inputs, but wouldn't object to a breakout cable if it meant you could make all the other things fit in a small footprint.  I think a signal led and a clip led for each ch would be nice...and one for power, one for low batt.  Output w/TRS or RCA would be fine.  As long as there is variable gain via some pots, it would be all good. 

Very simple, but that seems to be what everyone wants.

:)

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2007, 07:41:40 AM »
gawd...I wanna bite her ass!

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2007, 10:57:20 AM »

Hey nick you are so easily side tracked...I am gonna find that poster and send it to you...LOL LOL LOL.

I can't wait to see this preamp....
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2007, 11:03:42 AM »

Hey nick you are so easily side tracked...I am gonna find that poster and send it to you...LOL LOL LOL.

I can't wait to see this preamp....

Yes this tread is not about ass, although I do think we should start one about ass.  ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com