Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Combining files question  (Read 4005 times)

Offline Melanie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Combining files question
« on: January 03, 2019, 09:33:36 AM »
I ran out of time on a recording and had to start a new file in the middle of the encore. Can the files be combined and have a minimal loss? Bob
Melanie and Bob

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
Re: Combining files question
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 10:24:29 AM »
Just copy and paste the remaining piece to the end of the 2gb file and there should be no loss of data.  Happens all the time.

Offline danny3

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 10:43:23 AM »
Just copy and paste the remaining piece to the end of the 2gb file and there should be no loss of data.  Happens all the time.

True, providing the split was done automatically by the recording deck.

Bob; was this the case, or did you manually start a new file?

Offline Melanie

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 12:43:18 PM »

True, providing the split was done automatically by the recording deck.

Bob; was this the case, or did you manually start a new file?
I did start the next file manually, didn't know any better. I hit the button to the right of the enter button on the Tascam dr40, did it right at the mark and when playing back the end of 1st file and beginning of 2nd file there doesn't appear to be any loss between the files. Is it still possible to combine? Bob
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 12:53:58 PM by Melanie »
Melanie and Bob

Offline lmgbtapes

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 01:26:11 PM »
Yes.. simply use a program like Audacity, drag your files one after the other, make sure there are no fades inserted, make sure there's no space between the files, and then highlight the whole selection -> render as [whatever file format you wish]

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 04:23:42 PM »
On a Mac you can also use xACT, it's got a Join function under the "SHNTOOL" tab.

In Audacity, once the parts are in place, either highlight the whole thing and go FILE > EXPORT SELECTED AUDIO or just EXPORT AUDIO if it's the whole thing. Be sure to pick the file type and bit depth you want so it doesn't make a change to that.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Melanie

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 08:00:23 PM »
Thanks for help, downloaded audacity and combined files (with help from Kyle). Bob and Melanie
Melanie and Bob

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 09:34:34 AM »
On a Mac you can also use xACT, it's got a Join function under the "SHNTOOL" tab.

For some reason this isn’t working for me with large 24/96 files and I have to do it manually in Sound Studio or Reaper
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline junkyardt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 08:45:52 PM »

For some reason this isn’t working for me with large 24/96 files and I have to do it manually in Sound Studio or Reaper

yeah, i've had issues joining large 24/96 files as well. i normally use a small tool called AddaWav, and that works when adding two 24/96 files together, but when i need to combine three 24/96 files into one it glitches up and doesn't work right. for joining three 24/96 files i use the "open append" feature in Adobe Audition 3.0, and it works fine, but for longer shows that run over about 2 hrs 4 minutes (i.e. the final 24/96 output is more than 4 gigs), when i try to save the file it pops up a message first warning that files larger than 4 gigs will not be able to be opened in anything but Adobe Audition 3.0. and indeed they don't. so far i haven't taped very many shows that long, so i've been able to work around the issue, but i find the whole Windows problem with files larger than 4 gigs quite annoying.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 11:57:44 PM »

yeah, i've had issues joining large 24/96 files as well. i normally use a small tool called AddaWav, and that works when adding two 24/96 files together, but when i need to combine three 24/96 files into one it glitches up and doesn't work right. for joining three 24/96 files i use the "open append" feature in Adobe Audition 3.0, and it works fine, but for longer shows that run over about 2 hrs 4 minutes (i.e. the final 24/96 output is more than 4 gigs), when i try to save the file it pops up a message first warning that files larger than 4 gigs will not be able to be opened in anything but Adobe Audition 3.0. and indeed they don't. so far i haven't taped very many shows that long, so i've been able to work around the issue, but i find the whole Windows problem with files larger than 4 gigs quite annoying.
If you're running into file size problems hitting the 4GB limit, why not split into mono files? You'll get twice the running time before the same thing happens.

At this point I would assume that the SHNTOOL code which xACT uses can't join 24/96 files.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

ThePiedPiper

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 10:36:02 PM »
I use AddAWav. Works PERFECTLY.

ThePiedPiper

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 10:52:40 PM »
Here's the AddAWav program if anyone wants or needs it.  It looks old and antiquated, but this works flawlessly with 24/48 and 24/96 files. I use it VERY OFTEN.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 10:54:22 PM by ThePiedPiper »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.238 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com