Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I almost got my broken MK 319 to work.... need help!  (Read 1359 times)

Offline taper420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
I almost got my broken MK 319 to work.... need help!
« on: May 08, 2006, 06:05:34 AM »
So heres the deal... many years ago my father sent me on a mission to buy this mic for him and so I did. We plugged it in and it didnt work. Somehow I came to the conclusion that I needed a phantom power box, even though our mixer supplies it so it got put on the shelf until I picked one up. Which was right before a festival so I grabbed that mic and the only other mic I had which was a shotgun and proceeded to go on one of my first taping missions. This was my early days so i didnt really put too much mind into stereo pairing the mics, I just wanted to tape with what I had. I just did a quick search and i cant find the recording, but to my recollection, the mic was very low and distorted, if it worked at all....I think it did but the channel was unusable so basically I had a mono shotgun recording. Anyway, ever since that day and perhaps ever since it was bought the mic has never worked properly. I did some messing with it at first and managed to get a weak signal or just a hum by moving the jack around so I figured it must be somehting simple like a loose wire creating a grounding issue. For whatever reason we never thought to return it under warranty... or it was up by the time we actually realized we needed to. I tried opening the thing up and stripped a screw and couldnt get it open and so it sat there for years.

Until just recently i opened it back u again, grinded away the remaining screw nub and finally opend it up. Dam... no loose wires. That means it's passed my expertise. I figured maybe it got dropped and went bad but I couldnt help but remember the weak signal I got from it years ago...so I plugged it in.....nothing....

and then.... I was holding the metal around the base where the xlr connects .... and I touched the metal near the diaphram .... WE HAVE SIGNAL!!!  With a loud hum that sounds like a ground loop as well......took my finger off the capsule..... no signal....then I tried different ways of holding the base, and was able to get a signal without touching the capsule by wrapping my hand fully around the base... but only if I held it at a certain distance from my body......and only in a certain way

so my conclusion is this is some kind of grounding issue with the mic, not a blown capsule, which means it may be possible to fix myself or be worth it to pay someone to fix.....but i have no idea about where to go or who to ask about this except for you guys, so what do you think...?
Is there hope?

p.s. its not the cable

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com