Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping with MP3 Nomad Jukebox  (Read 14295 times)

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
Re:Taping with MP3 Nomad Jukebox
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2003, 07:31:31 PM »
would you recomend this over a dat at this point?

I've been running it as my primary since late December, and I'd put it right on par with most of the consumer portable DAT's out there.  It does have issues, but if you can look past that, you'll love it.  Two caveats, though:

1) You've got to have an optical signal- great for UA-5, Apogee, and ?zefiro users, but sucks for the rest of yall, since you've got to buy a converter, which is flaky at best in my experience.

2) Power issues.  Trying to run it off anything but internals isn't an easy task at all.

Bottom line:  I'm going to get a different HD box when they become availible, but I'll probably keep the JB3 for stealth.

-Lee
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2003, 09:11:28 AM »
Just to chime in, my Nomad has been 100% reliable when recording as long as I use battery and not wall power.  There is a bug in the nomad that will cause it to freeze occasionally when on AC power.  Not a problem for taping shows, obviously.

I have recorded 10+ shows with it without one dropout (the same can't be said for my lappy).

With 2 batteries, you should get 7+ hours recording.

The USB/firewire connection ROCKS.

I run a lappy at 24 bit almost exclusively now, but I'm keeping the nomad for situations where I don't want so much gear.  It is a fantatsic piece of hardware.  If it recorded at 24/96 I'd be in heaven!!

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2003, 10:08:46 AM »
if you knew you were going to upgrade within a year or two to a 24/96 or laptop or something else, but i wouldnt count on it as a long term replacement.  I would go with it over an MD though.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com