Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Advice on replacing a microtrack  (Read 3036 times)

Offline tomfrey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Advice on replacing a microtrack
« on: August 19, 2011, 12:04:50 PM »
I've used microtrack recorders for several years, and have always liked the sound of especially the microtrack II.  Unfortunately the reliability of that device has now hit me and I will have to replace it.  I'm thinking a Roland R05 or 09HR or a Tascam DR-2d.  As far as I can tell nobody has removable mics like the MTII which I also like.  Anyhow, I use SP-CMC-8 cards on my glasses in stealth mode for almost all of my recording.  I use the mic in and no external preamp.  Recorder is always in the front left pocket of whatever pants I am wearing so adding boxes is not where I want to go.  Anyhow, any thoughts are welcome but those addressed at the initial question are most useful.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
Re: Advice on replacing a microtrack
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 02:33:34 PM »
Sony PCM-m10
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 02:37:52 PM »
Sony PCM-m10

Expect a lot more people to say this ^

Best small recorder out there IMO (and many others as I'm sure you will see). Battery life is unreal, and it's rock solid.

There are less expensive options (the M10 goes for about $230), but what you save on a less expensive recorder you'll spend on batteries.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 04:53:35 PM by Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B) »
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 03:42:41 PM »
I've used microtrack recorders for several years, and have always liked the sound of especially the microtrack II.

You may be alone on this. Both the MT2496 and MTII have notoriously noisy preamps and less than ideal A/D converters.

If you're OK in sacrificing the digital input functionality of the Microtrack recorders, your best option hands down is the the Sony PCM-M10. It's unquestionably the best 2-channel handheld recorder available. The R-09HR/R-05 recorders are a reasonably close second.

It's very difficult for me to recommend any of the other handhelds (i.e. Tascam/Olympus/etc.). Most important, they are unable to handle a hot signal on the line input w/o distorting. The specifications are miles apart from the Sony or Edirol products, but I realize they are probably much closer to the desired price point.

The only other recorder that would get an honorable mention from me is the Tascam DR-2d because it is cable of recorder 4-channels (but often requires the use of attenuators to do so).

Finally, if you do need the digital input, I would recommend you step up to the Marantz PMD-661 or a Fostex recorder, but those are all going to be full-size units. There is no other handheld out there (afaik) that offers digital in.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 03:44:12 PM by hi and lo »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 07:35:55 PM »
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 05:54:13 AM »
Sony PCM-m10

'Nuf said :)

This.

The Microtrack is an atrocious piece of consumer hardware.  I used it for 15 shows and lost two recordings.  That's not a good ratio.  Get the Sony and never look back.  Internal preamp and A/D are light years ahead of the Microtrack.  The A/D in the D50 is so good that I stopped using an external one.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 09:19:29 AM »
How do you replace a recorder that has a TS reputation for exploding in Spoogles' hands?

VERY CAREFULLY!!

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 09:46:50 PM »
My advice on recorders that are better than the MT2496 or the MTII...virtually anything.  Man, if you liked your MT, you're gonna LOOOVE whatever you get as a replacement.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.205 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com