Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices USBPre2 (Part Duex)  (Read 35297 times)

Offline Hank H.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Sound Devices USBPre2 (Part Duex)
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2012, 04:15:25 PM »
Hi,

am I correct in the assumption that in standalone mode, when using the usbpre2 to record speech with a dynamic mic through XLR, I cannot use the analog RCA AUX output to record with an olympus ls-10?

In the manual it says about the RCA AUX out: "computer audio only". So, in standalone I can only use digital out or XLR out - is that true?

Thanks,

Hank.

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2012, 10:08:47 PM »
No you are not correct. You can indeed use the rca output as well as the other 3 outputs in the stand alone mode. Make sure the recessed output knob is turned up.
                    Good luck

Offline Hank H.

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2012, 08:08:15 AM »
Thanks,

I didn't own the usbpre 2 when I asked, but now I do. It's doing a great job, but I'm not 100% happy with the headphone-out, because it has some hiss and I'm working on speech recordings, so I notice it all the time.
Does anyone have experiences with using other outputs for the headphones? Can I use adapters to connect my Sennheiser hd 25 to the XLR or RCA outputs of the usbpre 2? Is that possible at all?

Offline Hank H.

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2012, 02:59:40 PM »
I found a workaround by accident. It's not elegant, but it works: The USBPre2 has 2 headphone outputs. I only use the 6.3 mm one. Then I put any connector (e.g. an empty adapter) into the other jack, but not up to the stop. It has to sit at some point in the middle, about one or two mm before the end - and voilá, silence in my headphones. Strange but true...

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2012, 04:35:48 PM »
I found a workaround by accident. It's not elegant, but it works: The USBPre2 has 2 headphone outputs. I only use the 6.3 mm one. Then I put any connector (e.g. an empty adapter) into the other jack, but not up to the stop. It has to sit at some point in the middle, about one or two mm before the end - and voilá, silence in my headphones. Strange but true...

interesting, so you end up creating a short for the other jack.

the headphone setup is the worst piece of the usbpre2, I won't defend it. It is best designed for low impedance headphones which demand gobs and gobs of current (since that's what it provides). I get his through my Denon D7000 headphones, but not my Audeze LCD-2 (which requires much more current to drive).

But yes, it's a known issue.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Hank H.

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2012, 08:19:24 AM »
I wonder what the best position is for the small output-knob when recording through the analog outputs. Is there additional amplification when it's turned up completely, or is it only to attenuate when not turned up completely? At what point does it correspond with the metering LEDs, at what point do the analog outputs have the same level as the digital outputs/usb-out?

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2012, 07:38:06 PM »
I wonder what the best position is for the small output-knob when recording through the analog outputs. Is there additional amplification when it's turned up completely, or is it only to attenuate when not turned up completely? At what point does it correspond with the metering LEDs, at what point do the analog outputs have the same level as the digital outputs/usb-out?

You need more information as to what you're sending it to as you're looking at two different metrics (dbu/dbV versus dbfs post-adc).

What you should look for is the maximum input value of the recorder you're sending it to. Once you figure that out, it's as simple as sending a test-tone through it (e.g. at -2dbfs)  and calibrating it so it doesn't clip the recorder. You'd need this anyway even if you knew the range of that knob.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Hank H.

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2012, 09:26:04 AM »
Thanks again for the info. I'm trying to figure that out. What kind of test tone do you recommend? Does it make a difference if I use a sinus wave or e.g. white noise?

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2012, 10:52:55 AM »
Thanks again for the info. I'm trying to figure that out. What kind of test tone do you recommend? Does it make a difference if I use a sinus wave or e.g. white noise?

Depends on precision. If you're looking at within 2db, then either will be fine as long as you can get consistent peaks.

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2014, 03:39:40 PM »
Guys, out of these two, which portable charger (powerbank) do you think is a better fit for USBPre2? http://www.androidauthority.com/sony-battery-packs-261830
I already have the smaller, 5000mAh battery, but have the opportunity to also get the larger, 10000mAh battery with a discount. Do you think the smaller
one is more than enough? Also, can the larger one possibly damage the USBPre2 with its higher output? I like the larger one because of its capacity if it's confirmed to generate no issues. Also, it has an AC adapter -- unlike the smaller one.
I've used a Velcro to secure the battery to the top of the USBPre2 and it's a great fit.

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2014, 07:20:26 PM »
I believe either is safe for the USBPre2 but the lower amp one will burn at a slightly slower rate, but you only have 5000mah so, I guess do some math and see if it matters enough.

I have a 10000mah jackery battery that has a low amp and higher amp jack. I use the lower amp jack if I only have one device but it's nice to have a second one now and then. Dr-2d can run off it for example, as well as I can charge my phone if I need to.

I haven't timed it but I can run my pre2 providing phantom for a loooong time on this battery.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2014, 11:33:48 PM »
I believe either is safe for the USBPre2 but the lower amp one will burn at a slightly slower rate, but you only have 5000mah so, I guess do some math and see if it matters enough.

I have a 10000mah jackery battery that has a low amp and higher amp jack. I use the lower amp jack if I only have one device but it's nice to have a second one now and then. Dr-2d can run off it for example, as well as I can charge my phone if I need to.

I haven't timed it but I can run my pre2 providing phantom for a loooong time on this battery.
Thanks for pointing that out. Guess I should first look for a 10000mAh battery with the output characteristics of this 5000mAh one. The USB portable charger market is so crowded and confusing that one might be lost trying to find the right one.

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2014, 09:51:28 AM »

Thanks for pointing that out. Guess I should first look for a 10000mAh battery with the output characteristics of this 5000mAh one. The USB portable charger market is so crowded and confusing that one might be lost trying to find the right one.

agreed. tough to know what's good. I have a feeling that most of them are pretty much the same on the inside. I took a chance and ordered the jackery and have been happy. can't say I did  a lot of research beforehand tho.

http://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Fast-Charging-Aluminum-Portable-12000mAh/dp/B00AANQLRI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407419098&sr=8-1&keywords=jackery+giant

My mistake! It's actually 12000maH! :P

Haven't had it too long, a couple months I think but it's a solid aluminum body and it fits in my bag well right next to the DVD batteries my R-44 runs on. Uses micro-usb input to charge which takes a while, but usually I can go out to 2-3 shows and then leave it charging over night and I'm in pretty good shape.

The tekkeon 3450i batteries that have both the tekkeon adapter cable jack and a dedicated USB jack might be worth considering but they're a lot more expensive. You could provide power to D-100 and power the USBpre2 at the same time I believe, internal batteries as backup in the D-100.

When my DVD batteries start to crap out I may do that. acidjack runs his R-44 and USBpre2 off one of those as I recall.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 09:53:10 AM by Ultfris101 »
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2014, 04:02:12 PM »
agreed. tough to know what's good. I have a feeling that most of them are pretty much the same on the inside. I took a chance and ordered the jackery and have been happy. can't say I did  a lot of research beforehand tho.

http://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Fast-Charging-Aluminum-Portable-12000mAh/dp/B00AANQLRI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407419098&sr=8-1&keywords=jackery+giant

My mistake! It's actually 12000maH! :P

Haven't had it too long, a couple months I think but it's a solid aluminum body and it fits in my bag well right next to the DVD batteries my R-44 runs on. Uses micro-usb input to charge which takes a while, but usually I can go out to 2-3 shows and then leave it charging over night and I'm in pretty good shape.

The tekkeon 3450i batteries that have both the tekkeon adapter cable jack and a dedicated USB jack might be worth considering but they're a lot more expensive. You could provide power to D-100 and power the USBpre2 at the same time I believe, internal batteries as backup in the D-100.

When my DVD batteries start to crap out I may do that. acidjack runs his R-44 and USBpre2 off one of those as I recall.
First off, you have a solid, enviable assortment of gear -- I love them! :)
Thanks for your great points. I didn't know that we could put the tekkeon 3450i to such an interesting dual use. I'll take a closer look at that. Of course, the $199 price tag might not be a deterrent to many, but the 450G weight might be. And speaking of these batteries, the Energizer XP18000A Rechargeable Power Pack can essentially perform the very same dual task -- if I'm not mistaken -- http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/911628-REG/energizer_xp18000a_emergency_power_for_notebooks.html/prm/alsVwDtl
It costs $169, but weighs 520G -- ouch!

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2014, 02:06:35 PM »
Sort of an oddity; my tekkeon battery finally bit the dust (age more than usage or damage), so I didn't want to blow a lot of money on another one when I primarily used it for taping and to charge my phone. Looking at the USBPre2's stats, I saw that it doesn't take more than USB power, and even with P48 on and everything, it typically draws less than 500mah with one exception; when it fires up it can draw the full amp. (I think SD told me it's like 450mah, but anyway). So I've been using a cell phone charging battery with mine; 4000mah with 2 USB ports of 2.1a and I think the other is 1a. It's about 1/8th the size of the pre2, and easily 1/5th the size of the tekkeon I was using. The clutch piece is finding a battery that will provide just over 1 amp so you can get it turned on. After that the draw is low enough that I wasn't worried.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com