Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices USBPre2 (Part Duex)  (Read 35305 times)

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
Re: Sound Devices USBPre2 (Part Duex)
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2014, 02:27:47 PM »
I just picked up a Duracell DU7170 4000mAh battery at a local Officemax for $14.  This thing is tiny and will provide up to 5v/2.1A!  After a charge I powered up my USBPre2 with it and it ran for over 6 hours with P48 before I shut it down and it still had juice to spare.  If nothing else it is a great spare to keep in my bag for any of the 5V devices I have which is nearly everything these days.
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2014, 05:35:48 PM »
I just picked up a Duracell DU7170 4000mAh battery at a local Officemax for $14.  This thing is tiny and will provide up to 5v/2.1A!  After a charge I powered up my USBPre2 with it and it ran for over 6 hours with P48 before I shut it down and it still had juice to spare.  If nothing else it is a great spare to keep in my bag for any of the 5V devices I have which is nearly everything these days.

Yep. I have something similar. I tape a show with it, and then charge my phone on the trip home (to draw down the battery and get some use out of it instead of just taping).
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Amir

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2014, 03:14:35 PM »
Sort of an oddity; my tekkeon battery finally bit the dust (age more than usage or damage), so I didn't want to blow a lot of money on another one when I primarily used it for taping and to charge my phone. Looking at the USBPre2's stats, I saw that it doesn't take more than USB power, and even with P48 on and everything, it typically draws less than 500mah with one exception; when it fires up it can draw the full amp. (I think SD told me it's like 450mah, but anyway). So I've been using a cell phone charging battery with mine; 4000mah with 2 USB ports of 2.1a and I think the other is 1a. ...
So if, for instance, I get a 10000mAh battery with an output of 3.6A per USB port, would it damage the USBPre2, or would I just burn the battery capacity more rapidly without putting the USBPre2 in danger? With most new USB batteries the focus has shifted toward higher output per port for faster device charges, but I don't know how this might affect devices which might not need that much power to operate -- the USBPre2 is one of them.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 03:18:04 PM by Amir »

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2014, 11:06:34 AM »
So if, for instance, I get a 10000mAh battery with an output of 3.6A per USB port, would it damage the USBPre2, or would I just burn the battery capacity more rapidly without putting the USBPre2 in danger? With most new USB batteries the focus has shifted toward higher output per port for faster device charges, but I don't know how this might affect devices which might not need that much power to operate -- the USBPre2 is one of them.

Neither. The battery rating of 3.6a is the max it will output. If the device requests less, it uses less. The catch that I noted was that the pre2 requests around a full amp to turn on, but otherwise draws around half an amp. So in your example:

(10000mah / 500ma draw) * 25% reduction in efficiency & safety = around 15 hours of battery life.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2014, 11:25:56 AM »

Neither. The battery rating of 3.6a is the max it will output. If the device requests less, it uses less. The catch that I noted was that the pre2 requests around a full amp to turn on, but otherwise draws around half an amp. So in your example:

(10000mah / 500ma draw) * 25% reduction in efficiency & safety = around 15 hours of battery life.
Thanks for shedding light on that. Currently I'm using a 5000mAh USB battery and, given your great explanation, will get a 10000mAh soon.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2014, 02:33:45 PM »
It's voltage that you have to be concerned with; over-volting is largely a bad idea.

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2014, 02:54:04 PM »
It's voltage that you have to be concerned with; over-volting is largely a bad idea.
That's true. Most of these batteries are DC 5V ones, meaning they can't recharge laptop batteries unless it's clearly mentioned. Do you think this one is OK? Sony CP-F10L: http://www.sony-asia.com/product/cp-f10l

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2014, 12:05:03 PM »
I'm getting some little high-pitched "blips" that SEEM to be occurring when I shift my bag a little to check levels etc, but I haven't been able to isolate yet. Not frequent but noticeable.

Very similar to the sound I hear if I have headphones on as I power down the USBPre2 so it makes me think it's either the power being supplied from the battery or a cable supplying power to the mics. Pretty sure a connection in the KCY>PFA adapter cable is getting loose and I thought that was the issue but I'm pretty sure it occurred recently when I was running CMC6s > XLRs too.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2014, 01:23:03 PM »
two possibilities; a power problem as you've already pointed at (and that can be tested), the other would be a chip failure. My first unit had a chip in the adc/dac/clock areas start to fail and it started like what you're describing before slowly gaining steam. SD took care of that and swapped units (I was still in the first year with that). If I were you, I'd test the power first and then talk to SD about it if connecting to a wall outlet or phone charger with a different cable doesn't point to your power cable.

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2014, 07:26:43 PM »
Digital signal issue was the right track. My SPDIF cable was loose. I made one with an RG-6 F-connector jumper I had and two right angle F > RCA adapters. One of the screws was a little loose.

Glad that's all it was!
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2014, 12:53:46 AM »
I just got a new USB Pre2 very sweet little unit!

Sorry if this has been covered previously:
I am wondering if in the standalone (ie battery usb powered) as a mic pre to DR-680 via the coax spdif out to the Dr-680 is the standard 24 bit?
I see there are tons of dip switch selections for setting satnd alone sample rate, but where or how does the bit rate get set?

Also would everyone recommend running the -15db pad for most types of rock fob or onstage mic'ing?

Mostly I got this to run my new matched pair of Milab DC-196's into.

thanks in advance for further knowledge.

--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2014, 04:58:07 AM »
Yes- you will want to run it with pads enacted almost all the time except for the quietest sources, assuming you are using condenser mics.

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2014, 11:39:23 AM »
Yes- you will want to run it with pads enacted almost all the time except for the quietest sources, assuming you are using condenser mics.

Yes p48 LD Milab DC-196... Pad engaged.
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak

Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2014, 11:12:30 PM »
I just got a new USB Pre2 very sweet little unit!

Sorry if this has been covered previously:
I am wondering if in the standalone (ie battery usb powered) as a mic pre to DR-680 via the coax spdif out to the Dr-680 is the standard 24 bit?
I see there are tons of dip switch selections for setting stand alone sample rate, but where or how does the bit rate get set?

Mostly I got this to run my new matched pair of Milab DC-196's into.

thanks in advance for further knowledge.

--Ian

???? :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones:
24 bit standard?
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Offline ellaguru

• Trade Count: (17)
    • the wendy hour
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2015, 09:43:38 AM »
anyone running the usbpre2 on windoze 10 yet?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com